Scale recommendations?

eightysixCJ
User
User

Scale recommendations?

Post by eightysixCJ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 01:00

Hello all,

Any suggestions for meat scale for someone just begining? Max capacity, calibration features, options, etc., I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Tom
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Fri Feb 17, 2012 01:32

This is the one I have and I like it very much. It is a Oxo scale.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainle ... 489&sr=8-1
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Feb 17, 2012 03:40

I have the same OXO scale as Blackriver. The only thing I wish sometimes is readings to 0.1 grams. Generally very pleased though as an estimate to .5 grams is usually good enough. There are very rare instances when less than a gram is desired.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Fri Feb 17, 2012 04:23

I've heard great things about the Oxo scale and they have a great warranty. I've normally purchased Salter scales, they tend to be a bit more expensive but I've gotten great customer service from them in the past.

Definitely get digital, that'll get you the Tare (zeroing) feature as well as the ability to switch between metric and imperial weights. I highly recommend purchasing two scales, one for your heavier stuff like fat and meat that has a capacity of at least 8 lbs (10-11 # is fairly standard) and then get a second gram scale for things like spices, Cure 1/2, garlic and the like. I had to toss a whole batch of kielbasa once because my 11# max scale did a piss-poor job of weighing out the requisite 53 g or so of garlic. My gram scale is from Escali and came with a calibration weight, my only complaint is that the part of the scale where the product goes is very small. A quick search of Amazon doesn't show my model so they look to be improved.
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 06:41

Chuckwagon had a great recommendation along with a companion site. Here is the link:

http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5498

I hope you are able to find a scale that meets your needs :smile:
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 14:33

I have several scales I use in the kitchen.

I posted this in the other 'scale' thread but this little guy is very handy for small stuff.
CD-sized & (100 x 0.01 grams)

One I picked up from Amazon. A bit pricey, but I like using it: "The Salter Aquatronic scale means no more measuring cups. This series measures both dry and liquid ingredients on the same scale with the push of a button.Makes mixing ingredients a whole lot simplier and faster." Weighs to 11 pounds/5kg in increments of 1/8oz/1gram
Weighs to 175 Fluid ounce/5000ml in increments of 1/8 fl ounce/1ml

For large scale measuring (initial weighing of meat, bulk ingredients; nice because the stainless bowl is removable so I can place it in the fridge after weighing it's content. Up to 40lbs. From Overstock .com

-Kevin

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
eightysixCJ
User
User

Post by eightysixCJ » Mon Feb 20, 2012 20:40

Thanks all! Two more things checked off my list. :smile:

Tom