Patty Rings And Muffins

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:21

Wow Ross, that is gorgeous! Very nice.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Feb 15, 2013 13:41

ssorllih wrote:goint to have to try different release coatings on aluminum rings. Bacon fat was only marginally satisfactory. maybe grease and flour as with a cake pan.
I used butter for mine. Not any better, but they seem to punch out toward the end of cooking. Dusting with flour sounds like a good idea.

Do you think letting 'em rise while in the rings would give it a French bread texture? The round bubbles are typical for a batter bread, rather than yeast rising.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 15, 2013 16:58

They get a lot of heat spring and that may be the soda. The mixture is glutinous and runny so they can't be moved in the rings. However I believe that I can fill the rings cold on individual pieces of foil or parchment allow the dough to rise and bake on a stone in the oven.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Feb 18, 2013 22:41

Greasing and flouring the rings provides an excellent release. Imagejust plain flour,water, salt, yeast and fat recipe spoonable batter allowed two hours rise in the rings baked ten minutes each side on preheated 350° F stone.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Feb 18, 2013 23:40

Oh yeah! That's what I'm looking for! Thanks for the outstanding R&D effort. It looks like allowing 'em to rise in the rings is the trick. ...that, plus the pre-heated stone. Great idea.

Did you scatter some corn meal before placing the batter in the rings? ...and did they release okay when you transferred them to the hot stone? I presume you used some sort of spatula or scraper to un-glue 'em from the surface where they were rising.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 19, 2013 00:10

I had the rings on Al foil squares no grease. grease would have been good. batter into the cold rings on the table, two hour rise. Spatula to lift them onto the hot stone. Foil peeled off the bottom when done. They had to be coaxed a little to let go of the rings but only at the bottom edge. Next time 375° oven. probably try parchment nexttime. I mixed the batter and spooned it into the rings . Not wait, no rise before the rings. Original bottom not smooth like the top.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Feb 19, 2013 18:17

This is the recipe we use...sourdough...and they are outstanding. Fried on a griddle for 4 minutes per side with some butter. We also work in some cinnamon and raisins. We have a San Francisco sourdough starter going now that we use.

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/index.php? ... ishmuffins
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 19, 2013 18:31

Dave that is a good recipe for sourdough bread baked like english muffins. To get the big porous texture and the ragged appearance of a fork split muffin takes a very wet dough. I am continuing to work on this. Thanks for your input.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Feb 20, 2013 15:54

This all started from a manufactured need. We are doing a fund raising effort at our church so that we will have more to spend to help folk with needs. I wanted to be able to make small thin sausage patties for breakfast sandwiches. My first thought was to make Englich muffins but they are quite a bit of effort and I had learned of a breakfast sandwich called a staker. Made with a couple of small pancakes, a sausage patty and and egg. Eggs come in single serving packages and pancakes are easy but the sausage patty needed some help, thus the plastic rings. For paper to contain and separate them plain old waxed paper from a roll seems to work well and a rolling pin makes a good press.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Feb 21, 2013 18:24

2 ounces of breakfast sausage :http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/breakfast
one egg
two small pancakes: 3 parts all purpose flour,one part buck wheet flour, baking powder, salt and milk to make a pourable batter.
Start frying the patty put greased egg ring in pan and add slightly beaten egg, pour two small pancakes. assemble. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 00:43

Man that looks good! Ross, I'm coming over for supper tonight pal!
How about writing the recipe in a format and give it a title for the MRI? Here's a link to write the recipe: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5838

Oh, one more thing ol' timer... You've now got as many posts on WD as I do. More in fact. :wink: That automatically makes you a Captain or a Lieutenant or something, doesn't it? :roll: In my opinion, you are an altruistic man with a lot of horse sense and a foxy demeanor. There are many, many, of use who appreciate your advice and wisdom on this site. Congratulations ol' pal. Now, sew some stripes on your sleeve and watch your mailbox for your paycheck. :mrgreen: My appreciation to you sir!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Feb 22, 2013 00:56

Chuckwagon wrote:There are many, many, of use who appreciate your advice and wisdom on this site.
:D I'll second that!

Uhmm CW, one thing though, you say Ross is an ol' timer. I thought all this time he is around 28 years old. :shock:

Ross, that Breakfast Sandwich (Panwich?) looks like I could invite myself for breakfast! I love the idea of using muffin rings.
Many a time when my daughter or friends have breakfast at my house and there are pancakes left over, I save them to build a sandwich (it's that Panwich!) for another meal.
It usually gets assembled with ham, cheese, lettuce and tomato and maybe some pickles. it's one of my favorite sandwiches.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 22, 2013 03:18

CW , you are just gonna have to get busy. :shock:
I just can't bring myself to go beyond calling this a fried egg sandwich with pancakes for bread and a skinny sausage patty for meat. All four pieces fit in a ten inch iron skillet and take about the same length of time to cook.
Pancakes are just flour, baking powder ,salt and milk. You can blend the flour types any way you like and can add egg and fat if you want but nobody will know. I like buck wheat flour, cornmeal, oatmeal and whole wheat flour in that order added to the all purpose white flour.
The sausage may be any fresh sausage recipe. I am using 3 inch rings cut from some Aluminum pipe for the egg rings. The sausage mold is a ¼" thick ring cut from a pvc 3" coupling and the pancakes are sized by eye. The sau8sage patty shrinks to the size of the egg as it cooks.
Some people scramble chorizo with eggs so it should be a good choice here. I have used chaurice and that works well and don't forget some of the very fine canadian bacon many of the memebrs make.
Ross- tightwad home cook
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Fri Feb 22, 2013 14:10

Ross' Ring-a-Ding-Ding-Darn-Good Breakfast Panwich??

OR We could have a contest to name them. Winner gets bragging rights.

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec