another grinder question

sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

another grinder question

Post by sambal badjak » Fri Sep 05, 2014 14:34

I have been looking at different grinders, but not in the top range.

The affordable Cabelas have either nylon/plastic gears and sometimes not even any spare parts, so I have been looking at LEM.
More in specific the big bite #8 and #5.

So far making sausages is (just) a hobby, although I might consider making fresh sausages for the lodge restaurant. Even then, it is probably only a couple of kg at the time.
I have a LEM 5 lbs stuffer.

Would the LEM #5 be sufficient for my use or would I be better of with the number 8? I could probably afford the #12 but it seems a bit too heavy and overkill for what I do?
And steel or aluminium?

Or are there any other brands I should consider?
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Sep 05, 2014 16:16

I checked out the LEM Stainless Steel Electric Meat Grinder, 5-Pound , SS with metal gears, could be had for $219 + shipping. For small batches of 5-10 lbs. that's a lot of bang for your buck I'd think. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Fri Sep 05, 2014 20:08

I just started using my Lem #8 and it does everything I want in a grinder. Most recommend a #12 or bigger but I only do about 5 lbs at a time. The "Bib Bite" auger really works on the first grind. I thought the #5 was a little light in power.
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Fri Sep 05, 2014 20:11

Ray, On the LEM site it's 280 and I found a promotion code to bring it down to 250 or so.
Where did you find the 219?
rodney

Post by rodney » Sat Sep 06, 2014 15:02

I have a LEM #5 grinder and the LEM 5 lb stuffer. I use these to make 5 lb batches of fresh sausages and have started making dry cured sausage as well. I have only had the grinder for a few months, but so far it has worked well and seems to have plenty of power. The only negative thing I can think of is the feed hole on the head is smaller (~1 5/8 in, ~40mm) while I think the #8 and #12 have ~2 in (~50mm) hole. I think this makes it more difficult if you want to run some meat through the grinder twice.

In the US, the LEM #5 can be found for ~$220 with free shipping from several retailers including Amazon (be sure to select Amazon as the seller: Amazon ) or Academy Sports.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Sep 06, 2014 15:11

rodney wrote:n the US, the LEM #5 can be found for ~$220 with free shipping from several retailers including Amazon (be sure to select Amazon as the seller: Amazon ) or Academy Sports.
And don't buy from Amazon using the "one click" option because you will pay shipping. They wanted $58 for shipping when I did it a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately I caught it time and cancelled the order. I then went through the longer procedure by adding to the cart and selecting "free shipping" - now what I can I get for $58 :???:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Sep 06, 2014 16:09

sambal badjak wrote:Ray, On the LEM site it's 280 and I found a promotion code to bring it down to 250 or so. Where did you find the 219?
I didn't check the shipping price, Shuswap may have something there. Here's the link, check it out, says something about free shipping too. RAY

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Sep 06, 2014 16:14

I went back and checked it out. The shipping was going to be $30, the tax $20, total $270. Shipping to your part of the globe might be a tad more expensive. RAY
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Mon Sep 08, 2014 08:17

I bit the bullet and decided to go for the lem #8.
In the end I rather have too much capacity instead of too little.
And I did not forget to order a transformer either (as we run on 220 volt)

Thanks for all your input :mrgreen:
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 22:53

Hope you get years of use from it as an electric grinder makes the sausage making process so much easier.