Cabelas 20lb mixer

Determined
Beginner
Beginner

Cabelas 20lb mixer

Post by Determined » Thu Nov 13, 2014 22:16

Have a opportunity to get a Cabelas 20 lb mixer cheap.
Anybody have one, anything good or bad to say about it.
The guy that has it used it once and did not like it.
Although they don't run and hide our boys are tired of freezing there hands every time we butcher.
Have read reviews good and bad on the Cabelas site.
I do have a motor and gear box waiting for something to do.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 22:23

I have one and used it maybe four times. I find mixing by hand does a better job and not so much to clean up after. I have read some have had the blades break off. I know mine used to rub on one side and I worried about metal dropping into the meat.
Mines been sitting for over 2 years now and don't miss it.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 22:27

Hey Determined welcome to the forum! Hope you grab a chair and hang out with us for a while! And I'm currently visiting in Yorkton, so probably not too far from you. I have the 20lb Cabela's mixer and use it when I have more than 15 lbs of meat or more. It really is not effective if you are under 10lbs. So when I do small batches I prefer mixing by hand, wearing nitrile gloves. It's faster and I don't need to set up and then wash the mixer. And if I was doing it again, I would pay the extra 100bucks and get the model that hooks up to your grinder
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Nov 13, 2014 23:13

I have 2 mixers, I think one of them is for 17 lb., and the other one is for 45 lb.
I used both, and I equally hate them.....You must add lots of water for mixing properly. Since about 70 % of the meat is water already, I just hate to add more.
When I want watered down sausages, I"ll buy them in the store.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Cabelas 20lb mixer

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Nov 14, 2014 00:27

Determined wrote:Have a opportunity to get a Cabelas 20 lb mixer cheap. Anybody have one, anything good or bad to say about it. The guy that has it used it once and did not like it.
Although they don't run and hide our boys are tired of freezing there hands every time we butcher. Have read reviews good and bad on the Cabelas site. . I do have a motor and gear box waiting for something to do.
I've had one for about six years now. I usually make 22 pound batches of sausage, fits perfectly and does a nice job. I'll use it if I make a batch of anything 15 pounds or over, it's not worth the clean-up to use on anything smaller

If you are making large batches it's most likely a fine idea to follow Red's recommendation and get the motor-driven mixer. You'll also have to rig a table of some kind, most likely on a pair of sawhorses (of course), to be able to screw the mixer down for stability. Having one person hold the thing on the kitchen counter while another person turns the crank won't work. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Sun Nov 16, 2014 03:23

Mine has also been standing for about 3 years. We found it easyier to use long black farm gloves (xl) with a inner pair of cotton gloves. We did 125 lbs. of venison sticks last year and the guys said that they would never go back to using the mixer. When mixing by hand my helpers they seemed to get the spice mixed more evenly.
also they could see when the mix became sticky. we do 25 lb. batches.

John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 16, 2014 03:55

I bet a mortar mixer would do a quick job of it. Just clean it with a high temperature pressure washer when you were through.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Nov 16, 2014 05:27

ssorllih wrote:I bet a mortar mixer would do a quick job of it. Just clean it with a high temperature pressure washer when you were through.
Hod-carriers could deliver the sausage mix to the waiting stuffers! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Mon Nov 17, 2014 01:08

I have a 20 qt. Hobart mixer I use for my bread making. I'm sure using the paddle or dough hook might do a good job at mixing too.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Nov 17, 2014 16:18

The Pastry knife would work with that mixer Rick!!

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/all-poi ... 63843.html
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Sun May 24, 2015 18:22

Hi have a Cabalas 20lb mixer and like Devo I think its not the right tool for any formulation that has any stiffness about it. Have used it maybe 6 times only, the stripping and cleaning drives me mad as well.
BUT as I have some free time at moment I spotted a Bucket Mixer made by Tool man DIY expect, Campbell Kirby.
Have any of you experts used, seen or have info. Also see that he had a S/S blade at some stage for emulsifying. Any info appreciated.
Rgds Spud
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun May 24, 2015 22:05

Hi Spud,
I am thinking of buying Kirby's bucket mixer as well, just to save my poor hands and arms.
At the moment I'm working on getting it to Australia for a reasonable price, I have to ship it by FedEx in combination with another future order shortly.
Kirby no longer makes the stainless blade version.
Cheers mate,
Jan. Brisbane.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Wed May 27, 2015 20:44

I also have a Cabelas mixer. However, I can attach it to my #22 grinder motor. Works like a dam, sit with a beer and watch!! Sure saves the arthritic hands. We have probably made at least 1000 lbs. of sausage with it since I have owned it. My son and his buddies always seem to show up here when there is moose, elk, beef, or pork to be done. It is always "Dad's job" to do the spicing, mixing, and stuffing(with a water powered 15 lb lexan stuffer made by the Hutterites). I send the boys home to smoke their own, if in fact they want it that way. I learned from my father, an old German farmer from Humboldt, Sask.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu May 28, 2015 06:08

I have a Kirby bucket mixer, which I power with a low speed Milwaukee drill - the kind you use for mixing joint compound (AKA mud). It works well, though I usually end up just using my hands for small, 5 lb. batches. It does a good job and saves the poor hands. I believe Kirby stopped making the stainless steel blade out of safety concerns.

Jeff
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu May 28, 2015 17:37

I have the Cabela's 20lb mixer that I use for batches of 12lbs or over. It is a bit of a pain to set up assemble and then wash, but then the same goes for everything else. I do wish it was motorized like Uncle Buck's. My grinder is the LEM Big Bite 12, and in hindsight I should have bought the LEM model mixer that can be attached to it.