Inbkbird settings and actuals - are these OK?

Freelance

Inbkbird settings and actuals - are these OK?

Post by Freelance » Tue Feb 01, 2022 09:54

Hello,
I just started using my curring chamber made of a newer fridge.
Have dehumidifier and humidifier controlled by IHC-200 and the fridge is controlled by ITC-308, no heater used.
Have been looking for optimal settings and would like to get some input from you guys.
How do my settings and actual graphs look to you? Are they OK or should I tweak something? Seems like the de-hum and hum are chasing each other.

Freelance

Re: Inbkbird settings and actuals - are these OK?

Post by Freelance » Tue Feb 01, 2022 13:09

a better graph of the humidity variations here
Seems like median humidity is around 81% vs 79% set value
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Tue Feb 01, 2022 23:20

I don't have first-hand experience with a such a set-up. But keeping humidity within a 10% band seems OK to me.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Thu Feb 03, 2022 05:28

As far as optimum settings for humidity, it will vary from chamber to chamber. Home curing chambers are not perfect and a balancing act must be done between all the parameters. Some home frost free chambers have too much airflow during the cooling cycle which can cause case hardening even if you have your humidity above 75%. If you can restrict the airflow or dial it down, this would be optimal. I have found, in general, with whole muscle cuts it is better to run the RH% a little on the high side @82-83%RH to prevent case hardening. It is also a good practice to invert your salumi periodically because all the airflow is coming from the top down in frost free units.

Also- it is a good idea to calibrate your RH controller. Some are way off...even right out of the box. I recently calibrated my units and one was off by +5.9, the other was off by -6.3......I used the boveda humidor calibration packs....the 75% one.
Last edited by Indaswamp on Thu Feb 03, 2022 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Thu Feb 03, 2022 05:31

redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Feb 05, 2022 17:58

Your humidity readings actually look really good. Was there product in the chamber at the time?
Freelance

Post by Freelance » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:01

redzed wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 17:58
Your humidity readings actually look really good. Was there product in the chamber at the time?
thanks, yes i had 2 coppas, one breasola and 2 pancetta tesa, attached pic of the chamber and latest humidity readings chart from today.
Good the hear that i can continue with this setup. Will be adding some pork loin and fuet next week.
I've also calibrated the sensor and compared to another one I had, it was off only by -2% so the first readings were in the limit.

michi
User
User

Post by michi » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:59

You are controlling humidity to better than ±5%. That's probably about as good as is reasonably possible.