Larding meat

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Larding meat

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 10, 2012 02:24

I have on occession seen larding needles which are really long skinny tubes like hypodermic needles with a cutting tip and a rod for pushing the fat out. The technique as I understand it calls for loading the needle with raw pork fat and the depositing this same fat into lean meat to creat an artificial marbleing of the meat. Has anyone tried this with venison and with what degree of satisfaction?
Ross- tightwad home cook
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Sun Oct 28, 2012 02:55

Jusr ran across this post Ross and was looking to pose the exact same question. I was thinking of trying it out but was hoping to find someone who already had. Did ya ever give it a shot or just forget about it?
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Oct 28, 2012 03:10

I haven't had a need yet. But the subject is covered in the Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages.
Ross- tightwad home cook
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Sun Oct 28, 2012 03:36

I've read about it, I've just never tried it and like you was wondering what type of results were obtained with a venison roast.
It would be interesting to hear some first hand results. I enjoy venison but as you well know a baked roast can be very dry if done improperly. I can only imagine that this would help but, before I buy a larding needle I would like to know if it is worth the efforts.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 06:14

I've used larding needles mainly to inject some sort of flavour into thick joints of pork and turkey breasts only.
This was many years ago before I obtained a meat injector.
The larding needles worked very well, a section of them fold up so a piece of backfat can be fitted. it certainly increased juicyness and flavour in dry pieces of meat.
Regards,
Jan
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Sun Oct 28, 2012 19:49

Thanks crusty, so I guess my question then would be, do you find using the injector as opposed to the lard from a larding needle as effective or did the actual lard impart anything you miss with the injector?
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 21:05

Huck,
With larding needles you only get the fat melting in the meat which is great, with injectors you can inject any liquid flavour you like.
Liquidised garlic combined with powdered spices and oil injected certainly improves certain cuts of meat.
Regards,
Jan.