How To Measure Beef Rounds

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 01:06

Beef rounds usually come in 100 feet "sets". Here is a table showing how many pounds of sausage you can put in 100 feet for different choices of diameters in casings.

Note: If you are able to order less than 100 feet, just adjust the figures in the right side of the column. For example, if you have 25 feet of rounds, then multiply the figure by .25
If you only have ten feet of rounds, then multiply the figure by .10

100 feet/set.

Diameter
(mm)
.................. Yield

38-40mm.............. 72-75 lbs.
40-43mm.............. 78-83 lbs.
43-46mm.............. 83-87 lbs.
46 / +mm.............. 90+ lbs.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Thu Aug 23, 2012 03:19

I've got a tub of 40-43mm beef rounds just waiting for a project. Last time I made ring bologna, I used a kit. I liked it so well, I bought supplies to do more. Is this something we will need for a class recipe? :???:

Jim
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04

We surely could if you'd like to. We could always fit it into "Project B" near the end. This is YOUR forum. What do other members think?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:41

I thought maybe these were the casings for the Mettwurst. :oops:
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:56

Chuckwagon wrote:We surely could if you'd like to. We could always fit it into "Project B" near the end. This is YOUR forum. What do other members think?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
I think I like to try new things.

When I don't know what I'm doing, I'm experimenting :lol:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:59

Ohhhh I'm very busy. Have a nice day. In the meantime, if you can help it, don't get old...... :grin:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 15:20

two_MN_kids wrote:I've got a tub of 40-43mm beef rounds just waiting for a project. Last time I made ring bologna, I used a kit. I liked it so well, I bought supplies to do more. Is this something we will need for a class recipe? :???:

Jim
Yeah let's do ring balogna! It was already on my to-do list. You can't even find it where I live.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Aug 24, 2012 03:05

Chuckwagon wrote:We surely could if you'd like to. We could always fit it into "Project B" near the end. This is YOUR forum. What do other members think?
Whataya say we extend Project B by one item, make it an item that the participants suggest, and we all vote on it? (There's a way to do that in our forum's bulletin board system.)

I've never had ring bologna. (...knew a kid who had ringworm, but that's another story. :razz: )
Maybe some of you guys with more ethnic sausage eating experience than I have could suggest a few within reach of our developing skills. Maybe even a short list...? There's no need to stop at just one, other than the patience of our beloved Moderator. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 06:38

Two-MN-kids wrote:
I thought maybe these were the casings for the Mettwurst
Jim, beef middles are ideal for Mettwurst! :wink: Preferably, for our Mettwurst project we'll need 40-60 mm beef middles (or fibrous casings) We'll make links of 8-10" (20-25 cm). If yours are slightly smaller, don't worry about it. We'll stuff what you have on hand.
Cabonaia, wants to make a little ring bologna too. No problem guys. I would really like to have you folks make just a bit of good fermented Mettwurst - so you can experience the "spread" quality and the tangy flavor of the stuff.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Aug 24, 2012 14:52

CW - I am excited about the mettwurst, moreso than the ring balogna. I've made pates but never a fermented, spreadable sausage. Really looking forward to that!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 07:58

Cabonaia,
Using Bactoferm™ cultures makes it a snap. The best part is you can keep the remainder (culture) in the freezer and keep making the stuff (or any other fermented sausage) for the next half year. Each 42-gram packet of LHP will treat 500 pounds (225 kilo) of meat. It is very quick and very tangy. (2 days and it's done). On the other hand, T-SPX comes in smaller 25-gram packets and it will treat 440 pounds (200 kilo) of meat. It is less sour and gives meat a more traditional European flavor. It's much slower, about a month for sausages.
These cultures may be stored in a freezer 6 months. Un-refrigerated they have a shelf life of only 14 days.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 26, 2012 00:29

What is the anticipated shelf life of mettwurst?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Sun Aug 26, 2012 19:05

Thanks Chuckwagon! your chart worked perfect
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 04:28

Your are most welcome Blackriver. I'm glad things worked out for you.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon