Corn Syrup Solids
Soy protein concentrate
non-fat dry milk powder
whey
gums
Non-Fat High-Heat Dry Milk Powder
Special Meat Binder

Hello All,
I've been wanting to make some lunch meat, as that's something we use everyday. In looking at the different recipes, I've noticed that some use one or more of the above for reasons unknown.

For example, my frankfurter recipe calls for the addition of non-fat dry milk -OR- soy protein concentrate as well as dextrose.

Bologna calls for dextrose and corn syrup solids.

Old-fashioned loaf calls for non-fat dry milk, corn syrup solids, and also soy protein concentrate.

I've noticed that these additives are used in those sausages that are emulsified, and I'm sure the intent is also to maintain moisture in the final product. Other than the binding ability and moisture imparting qualities, what do these items bring in the way of texture, taste? Why does Old-fashioned loaf for example, have soy protein concentrate and non-fat dry milk, and Bologna does not? Why do frankfurters not contain corn syrup solids?

I realize that the Amesphos and Butcher & Packers Special Meat Binder are the phosphate additives which have been discussed around the forum already. I don't wish to open that discussion up again at this time, but if it does have some redeeming qualities for taste and texture, than I'd be willing to hear about it.

Would someone be able to enlighten me to the "other" qualities, than binding and filling, of the above items I've listed? What sets corn syrup solids apart from the other ingredients? Powdered whey, is that the same as non-fat dry milk? Are there any duplications here, or do I really have to have all these different items on hand in order to make the various lunch meats?

I can pretty much deduce that dextrose is going to impart a "sweetness" to the sausage. I do use this in my Polish Kielbasa.

Thank you in advance for uncovering the mystery behind the use of these ingredients and bringing them out into the light!
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Fri Sep 14, 2012 23:53

Here are a couple links with lots of info on additives.....

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-making/additives

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Tips.htm

Apart from dextrose, which is required for proper fermentation in some formulas, I don't like or use any additives, they're not needed when good technique is practiced.
Godspeed!

Bob
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Sep 15, 2012 01:31

Baconologist,
I think those two sites answers all my questions! Thank you.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Sep 15, 2012 16:23

I guess my next logical question, being that we don't use these binders/fillers on a regular basis, is what has anyone found to be a shelf life for these products? I know that I have some of these items in air tight containers down on my canning shelf which look and taste fine, and they've been there 5 years that I know of without any noticeable changes.