Food Safety, Sausage-making and Hygiene

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Fri Apr 12, 2013 22:08

Might I recommend never eating out in a restaurant ever again? Just sayin' you only assume how your food is being handled but even at the finest restaurants the best tool available for many jobs is your hand. Hair and skin aside studies have proven that good handwashing is superior to gloves in regards to sanitation.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Fri Apr 12, 2013 23:08

All of my equipment(all that is stainless) goes through the dishwasher, and is dipped in a sodium metabisulphite solution and put away. When it comes back into use, it is run under hot water with an antibacterial soap, rinsed in scalding water, and again dipped in a sodium metabisulphite solution and rinsed. All meat is still virtually frozen, and handled with gloves as it is ground and/or mixed. No one has ever had an adverse problem with their gastrointestinal tract after eating the proceeds, other than eliminating gas from the combination of beer and sauerkraut that go with the meal!!! :mrgreen:
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Apr 13, 2013 01:38

A long time ago in this country we had a person called Typhoid Mary. Today we don't hear much about typhoid but we often hear about salmonella. Well typhoid is just one of the many strains of salmonella but today they can defend against typhoid but like all bad children the parents are full of new tricks. Let an infected person or a carrier handle the food. And then let another handle the contaminated food and then make the salad and slice the onions and it won't matter how well the sausage is cooked the trouble has jumped the fence and people are going to get sick.
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Apr 13, 2013 02:45

JerBear wrote:Might I recommend never eating out in a restaurant ever again? Just sayin' you only assume how your food is being handled but even at the finest restaurants the best tool available for many jobs is your hand.
I can't control how food is handled by others nor how everybody decides to prepare food in their own homes. However, if those folks in those kitchens knew they were being photographed for public consumption, they may think twice about how they go about their jobs.
I just know that if I'm making it in my kitchen (or the church's kitchen), I'm not taking any chances by neglecting some basic food prep cleanliness and processes. If I decide to post images publicly that neglect some real basic food hygiene practices, then I'm probably fair game for critique and commentary.

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8