Celery Powder Nitrate? Get the butter!

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Sep 13, 2014 20:53

Its one level teaspoon per 5 lbs of meat so check your math but I understand what you are saying. Yes, if you are going to add Cure 1 just omit the same amount of salt if your recipe doesn't call for cure 1 and you intend to use it. Most of cure 1 is salt so this works out well.

You are pretty well correct in your second question. This would be just like a fresh sausage and as long as you kept the packages frozen then warmed them to eat you should be fine. I don't think I would want to vac them and leave them in the fridge for any length of time though.
Lorenzoid
User
User

Re: Celery Powder Nitrate? Get the butter!

Post by Lorenzoid » Thu Jul 23, 2020 16:26

Why am I replying to a 6-7 year-old thread? One, because I'm bored. Two, because the celery juice powder thing riles me up and is one reason why I don't care to buy commercially made products anymore. I don't recall what the state of it was 6-7 years ago, but in 2020 it's difficult to find in the grocery store a package of bacon or smoked sausage that is NOT labeled "uncured." In other words, it seems CJP is the new normal for, uh, not curing.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jul 23, 2020 17:31

Despite various efforts to change that terminology, it also persists in Canada. While I have nothing against using celery juice powder, the product is certainly cured with nitrates. And here you can't blame the producers but rather the government regulatory agencies that set the rules.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Jul 23, 2020 22:11

What bothers me the most about this subject is when people criticize other producers with false claims concerning food safety and such. This hurts everyone in the end. I believe quality will always sell and it will always warrant a better price so when someone stoops to using false claims I think they are trying to compensate for their poor quality or they are just plain ignorant.

I understand most people have been removed from agriculture and food production and there seems to be a movement toward more people being interested in knowing where their food comes from. Many of these people are just ignorant and unfortunately they are gullible to the charms of these snake oil salesmen. What I try to do now is to go out of my way and educate as many of these people as I can into understanding that just because we now understand the science of how curing works thus demystifying the process it is today no less magical than it was thousands of years ago when it was first discovered. Personally, I am impressed at how mankind was able to work with nature's nitrogen cycle to cure meat and other foods. What could be more natural than this?