Binding duck fat into beef sausage with powdered milk

Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Binding duck fat into beef sausage with powdered milk

Post by Thewitt » Sat May 18, 2013 06:45

Has anyone done any work to quantify binding duck fat into beef sausage using powdered milk?

I'm trying some formulations this weekend and looking for guidance.

Thanks.

-t
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat May 18, 2013 15:01

Just for me, duck fat is too valuable to use in sausage. It makes the finest short pastry for pies.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Sat May 18, 2013 15:06

ssorllih wrote:Just for me, duck fat is too valuable to use in sausage. It makes the finest short pastry for pies.
I cannot use pork, and am struggling with making an alternative sausage that's as appealing....

Beef and duck is the next combination I'll try, with rusk and milk powder.

Beef and chicken, with extra skin, was just ok. Not a wow sausage at all.

-t
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat May 18, 2013 17:19

try using the entire duck with the beef. You certainly can't use rendered fat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Sat May 18, 2013 17:23

Yes, I plan to simply combine duck and beef, likely also including duck skin.

I'm concerned with the low melting point of the duck fat. In a fresh sausage it will likely be fine, however I'm concerned with losing it in a smoked/cooked sausage, which ultimately I need to create.

-t
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat May 18, 2013 18:43

There is a fat replacer that some of the forum members endorse. You could do a search for that it calls for the use of vegatable oil but I see no reason that you could use rendered duck fat. http://www.sausagemaker.com/search.aspx ... t+replacer
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat May 18, 2013 20:26

Hi Tim,
Why can't you use hard white beef fat in sausages. Contrary to all popular belief, I made Smoked csabai with all beef and beef fat for a friend of mine that couldn't eat pork due to religious beliefs.
They turned out very nice, I kept some in the freezer and cooked them on the BBQ a few weeks ago. Everybody that tried them, raved on about them, including my wife!!!!!!
Good Luck,
Jan.
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Sun May 19, 2013 05:10

ssorllih wrote:There is a fat replacer that some of the forum members endorse. You could do a search for that it calls for the use of vegatable oil but I see no reason that you could use rendered duck fat. http://www.sausagemaker.com/search.aspx ... t+replacer
Thanks Ross. Shipping costs to Malaysia make many products difficult to use cost effectively, but I'll order the fat replacer and check it out.

-t
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Sun May 19, 2013 05:13

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Tim,
Why can't you use hard white beef fat in sausages. Contrary to all popular belief, I made Smoked csabai with all beef and beef fat for a friend of mine that couldn't eat pork due to religious beliefs.
They turned out very nice, I kept some in the freezer and cooked them on the BBQ a few weeks ago. Everybody that tried them, raved on about them, including my wife!!!!!!
Good Luck,
Jan.
I will try it Jan. Everything I've read so far warned me off so this sounds promising.

Did you cold or hot smoke it?

-t
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun May 19, 2013 05:53

Tim,
I cold smoked them and cooked them on the BBQ with a heap of others I made for Mothers Day. The beef csabai were gone in no time. I used a whole large rump with a nice thick layer of white fat. All vacuum packed at the slaughterhouse. Only $ 4.99 kilo.
I prefer pork csabai sausages, pork is cheaper as well but these beef ones were great.
No doubt I will be asked to make them again. Make sure you use sheep or collagen casings.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Sun May 19, 2013 05:58

Sounds great Jan. I will be using sheep casings. I'm off to China for a month, but when I get back this is my top priority.

-t