Chicken Sausage with Feta and Spinach

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon May 27, 2013 01:32

Thanks for posting that Red, now I'll just stick to chicken sausage using only thighs myself. Not every endeavor comes out the way we dreamed, but I have no doubt there won't be any waste. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon May 27, 2013 03:12

Yeah Ray, it won't go to waste. Camping season is here and it will be good with a couple of eggs for brekkie. Last night we had a barbeque at our house for 10 Saskatchewan ex-pats and I served 4 different sausages, this one was one of them. No one left anything on their plate.
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Mon May 27, 2013 04:34

As others have mentioned, I think it is a good idea to stick with dark chicken meat or add pork back fat or even a small amount of bacon to help with the moisture content. I love this recipe but I will tweak it a bit on my next go round :smile:
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon May 27, 2013 16:13

When I make it next time I will add garlic which was missing from the recipe. And a touch of hot paprika might also work a bit better. I used smoked paprika in my batch and that probably did not go well either.
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Sun Jun 02, 2013 05:07

I have made a few different kinds of chicken sausage with real good results. First thing I found out was the first thing everyone else found out....less than half as much water! I've made the Italian and smoked Polish from Rytek's book with real good results. The one that stands out for me is to make the Chorizo for Bruce Aidell's book. That comes out super good. I have not created any recipes with chicken, just adapting existing recipes.

V465
V465
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Dec 17, 2014 18:51

Another small batch of the Chicken, Feta and Spinach sausage to this recipe, added a little garlic and found it a good variation.

A while back I changed from using 29-32 mm Hog casings to 24-26mm Sheep casings for these sausages and everyone I have grilled them for prefers the smaller Sheep casings.

Ron
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 20:48

Bubba, those look great. Care to share a recipe?
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Dec 17, 2014 21:24

Hi rgauthier,

Thank you.
I use this recipe from Gray Goat, his is for 10 lbs, this time I only made 3 lbs and added optional 1/2 tsp garlic mixed with the Chicken stock. Grinding through a medium plate works well. Hope you'll like the recipe.
Gray Goat wrote:Sorry Troski, I'm not holding out on you :lol: here is the recipe I found on another forum posted by Zeeker

5lbs each chicken breast and thighs
10oz Feta cheese
2 bundles fresh spinach
3 Tbs white pepper
3 Tbs salt
3 Tbs Marjoram
3 Tbs Paprika
1oz of chicken stock per pound
Ron
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 18, 2014 06:30

Bubba that is wonderful lookin' batch of yard bird sausage. Image I will be picking up a case of boneless chicken thighs after the holidays and that sausage will be on my list. My last batch of chicken spinach and feta was not exactly earth-moving. :sad:
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Dec 20, 2014 13:13

Thank you Redzed, when you make your batch it will be interesting to hear your outcome on taste.
Ron
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Aug 15, 2017 16:06

It's been a while, but I finally got to round two in making this sausage. I picked up a 40lb box of boneless chicken thighs from Cash and Carry in Bellingham so I will be experimenting with yard bird sausage for a while. As promised, I used only chicken meat and based my recipe on what is on this thread and the one presented by our member Big Guy http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... light=feta

This time, success! A fun and colourful sausage busrting with juicy flavours. Great on the barbecue, ready in 10 minutes, and goes well with a fresh salad and new potatoes. Can also be served on a bun with fried onions and peppers with a dollop of sweet mustard. I will be serving it to anout 25 guests at our back yard barbecue, but everyone who had tsampled it so far loves it. Proof that there is life beyond pork!

Ingredients for 1kg meat: 170g feta, 100g spinach, 30g onion, 12g salt, 1.5marjoram, 3g white pepper, 10g. non-instant skim milk powder, 2g garlic, 25ml water.

Grind chicken the chicken thighs with 7mm plate, add salt, spices, crumbled feta, coarsely chopped spinach and diced onion. Adding the water mix everything until it sticks to your hand. Stuff into hog casings.

Grill over medium heat.

Bon appetit!
Last edited by redzed on Wed Aug 16, 2017 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Tue Aug 15, 2017 17:55

Those are beautiful and I'm sure they taste even better than they look!!!! Good job!
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Tue Sep 12, 2017 19:59

Made these chicken feta spinach sausages last night....man are they good!
Whole family loved them!

Thanks to you guys for the recipe!

redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Sep 14, 2017 16:27

Glad that this sausage turned out well for you! It has also become a favourite in our house and was a big hit at a barbecue we hosted a few weeks ago. I also posted the recipe on the Polish website and few of the guys there also made it and were impressed with it.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Sep 14, 2017 17:04

Absolutely was Chris!

Juicy, flavorful, and easy to make!
Took me longer to bone out 9lbs of thighs than it did to make the sausages!
From 9lbs of skin on thighs I got about 4.5lbs of meat. Kept the bones and skin to make stock.

This recipe is great!

I used my 10mm grinding plate as I didn't have a 7mm one. My grinder only came with a 10mm, a 4.5mm, and a stuffing (bean) plate. Going to have to get a few more plates!
But the 10mm grind turned out great. No air pockets, grind was fine enough, and great mouth feel.