Chicken Sausage with Feta and Spinach

Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Chicken Sausage with Feta and Spinach

Post by Gray Goat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 19:57

5lbs each of chicken breasts and thighs and other ingredients.
Cut up and ready to get crispy in the freezer
Grinding away
Best of my four casings was the last one, started getting the hang of it
Last edited by Gray Goat on Tue Aug 15, 2017 16:08, edited 2 times in total.
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Tue Feb 15, 2011 00:02

Gray Goat wrote:5lbs each of chicken breasts and thighs and other ingredients[/quote
Other Ingredients ? Give it up!
But anyway good looking sausage GG. The more you do it the easier it will get.[No comments CW I know what your thinking] Don't forget to prick the casing to remove air pockets.
Trosky
Marz o tym, jakbys` mial wiecznie zyl, zyj jakbys` mial umrzec dzis
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 00:26

Sorry Troski, I'm not holding out on you :lol: here is the recipe I found on another forum posted by Zeeker

5lbs each chicken breast and thighs
10oz Feta cheese
2 bundles fresh spinach
3 Tbs white pepper
3 Tbs salt
3 Tbs Marjoram
3 Tbs Paprika
1oz of chicken stock per pound
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 05:04

Hey hey Goat man!
That's not good lookin' sausage... That's GREAT lookin' sausage.
I wish my first stuff had been that good. I put too much water in my first batch and it was the worst lookin' sausage anyone had ever seen. I think it took a month for the water to dissapate in that batch. Hmmm, we live n' learn eh?
Spinach and feta should make that chicken taste just great! Great sausage.
Keep up the good work GG.
P.S. Question: When mixing, did you cover the hair on your chinny, chin, chin? :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 07:16

Thanks Chuckwagon, I appreciate that. As for the chin I leave it uncovered so I have a place to wipe my hands :lol:
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu May 23, 2013 08:15

A couple of weeks ago while on a camping/cycling trip I stopped by at a small sausage maker, operating out of their home in the country side and bought some chicken feta and spinach sausage. We prepared it for breakfast the next day, and it was fabulous. I now will be making some for a barbecue on Saturday. Looking at the Goat's recipe and possibly using it. I have little experience with chicken meat sausages and need advice. I intend to bone out a couple of chickens and add some breast meat in order to make several pounds.

Any suggestions?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri May 24, 2013 02:38

Chris, our buddy Dave Zaccarias in New York also knows how to make this stuff very well. Let's see if we can coax him or Gray Goat into parting with some tips and expertise. How about it boys?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
gurkanyeniceri
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gurkanyeniceri » Fri May 24, 2013 03:06

I have added some milk powder to this recipe and replaced feta with ricotta as I have excess of it at home. Best ever sausage and kids loved it.
Cheers,

Gurkan Yeniceri
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri May 24, 2013 04:34

Ricotta is a poor substitute for feta cheese. Rather like substituting velveeta for sharp cheddar.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri May 24, 2013 09:03

ssorllih wrote:Ricotta is a poor substitute for feta cheese. Rather like substituting velveeta for sharp cheddar.
Tough love, tho I'm in complete agreement Ross! Great job by the Goat, real nice looking product. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri May 24, 2013 10:49

Awesome looking sausage Gray Goat.

I can vouch for the goodness of this Chicken, feta and spinach recipe. Have made it a few times before and everyone loves it!
Ron
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri May 24, 2013 16:28

Will be making the sausage today. Too bad I don't have more dark meat. I boned out two American Costco chickens that weighed 10lbs 4 oz and got 6lbs 7oz of meat, skin and fat included. I added 4 more chicken breasts and will be working with 8lbs, 4 oz. I hope it won't be too dry.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri May 24, 2013 17:11

Outstanding, Wayne!
I love both the ingredients AND the execution of it all

Time for me to break out those frozen chik thighs & start grinding!
I'm working on a chicken recipe with artichoke, spinach & bacon-and possibly a dry cheese. I'm hoping it turns out as well as yours!

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri May 24, 2013 17:16

Hmmm, it could be iffy Red. I always use thigh meat deboned with the skin that comes on them, seems a perfect balance. I'll be interested to hear how it comes out, thought of making sausage from whole chickens before but never tried it. RAY

Topic Split 052413 @22:54 by CW. See: "Speaking Of Artichokes" in "Recipes From Around The World".
Last edited by sawhorseray on Sat May 25, 2013 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun May 26, 2013 19:05

Because of the large amount of white chicken meat I decided to make it with one third fatty pork. The end result was OK, but did not exactly blow my socks off. The pork seemed to take over the flavour of the chicken and it tastes like pork sausage. I don't think that feta and spinach complement the pork very well. Will have to use another approach next time and stick to using chicken thighs and legs.