[USA] Bad Bob's Bologna

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 00:56

Butterbean, you wrote:
Heck, I still can't keep this straight in my head but nites and ates are safe at any concentration as long as they are added to the meat in the form of sea salts and/or organic dehydrated celery juice since you don't actually add them but if using a refined curing salt in known quantities one must dawn the hazmat suit. Have I got that right?
It would take only 30-35 grams potassium nitrate (two tablespoons) consumed in a single dose to cancel your clock! But who is going to swallow 2 tablespoons of pink salt? A fatal dose of potassium nitrite is 22-23 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. A person weighing about 160 pounds would have to consume 14-1/2 lbs. of cured meat containing 200 ppm. As nitrite is mixed with large amounts of salt, it would be just about impossible for a wranglin' cowboy to consume that much nitrite in one sitting... even for a munchmouth like me... at least from a culinary point of view.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Wed Aug 29, 2012 02:09

Butterbean wrote:Personally, I don't like the taste of soy protein concentrate and would rather use something else. I've just found my sausages tastes better - to me - if I make this substitution.
I agree, soy has a funny taste and is definitely a questionable ingredient.
Many feel it has some serious effects on health.

I stick with what I learned from my master butcher Grandfather, no added weird stuff!
Godspeed!

Bob