[USA] "Two Types Of Hot Dogs"

uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 21:37

DDF
I buy a good share of my sausage making needs from B&P
Yeah I have had good luck with B&P, I like their casing, good verity and price is fair with decent shipping rates. Never ordered from LEM or Monterey Bay Spice Co. I will take a look.
Thanks for the info.
Chow.
Uwanna
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 23:12

Chuckwagon wrote: So, was yesteryear`s hot dog a tastier product? Yeah, probably. Was it a better product? Absolutely not!
CW Not trying to take everything out of context and not to negate the work habits of yesteryear that is still practiced these days. Now just having just read the following [and for what I do know] it does make one wonder why we do not have the healthy lifestyle we all wish for. :???: :wink:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-barn ... 19034.html

I have not time at the present to go into depth the rest of what you wrote due to work commitments :sad:
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 02:25

BriCan
it does make one wonder why we do not have the healthy lifestyle we all wish for
Not sure if you remember this but, back in the 80`s (not sure on the exact date) the media/ television announced that eggs were not good for one too consume. This led to egg farms closing their doors all over our state and I`m sure in other states as well. Then a few years later, it was determined that it was not the egg, but the oil, cooking spray or fake spray butter that the consumers used to cook the egg, and that the egg was fine to eat.
I had a discussion with a farmer about milk, he claims as adult`s we don`t need milk and that we should not drink milk. He claims its not good for you, go figure.

And finally, as home sausage makers, we control what goes into our sausage :wink:

Check this out: http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/ ... ramid.html
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Oct 27, 2011 23:27

Last weekend I had my first try at making a small batch (2 lbs) of the "Lone Peak Hog Longhorns" to Chuckwagons recipe above.
For my first time I was very happy with the result, love the flavor and the texture. By my own choice I did not emulsify the mixture, but sent it through the small grinder plate twice.

At the same time I tried my new remote temperature indicator, and it helped a lot to control temperature inconsistency problems.
I did raise the temperature too slowly, and instead of 90 minutes, the time to achieve 150 F internal temperature was 30 minutes longer.
Towards the end, after raising the temperature slowly, my smoker temperature drifted slowly between 155 and 168 F which I thought was not bad for a non-insulated smoker.
Next time I'll get the temperature raising timeframe right, but as already said, this batch for first time was really good!
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 05:29

I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe Ron. Thanks for your comments. The new thermometers are incredible aren't they? It sounds like you've got your smoker under control. Raising the internal meat temperature too slowly isn't nearly as critical as raising it too quickly, so don't be too concerned. As long as you've got the proper nitrite cure in the mixture, there shouldn't be any problem. I've got a killer recipe for hot dog relish somewhere. I'll find it and send it your way. Thanks again for your thought and kind words.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D