[USA] Dave's Dilly Dogs

Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Dave's Dilly Dogs

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Nov 13, 2011 21:50

Dave's Dilly Dogs

I absolutely love fresh dill and have looked for a recipe for Dill sausage off and on for a year or so to no avail. After reading Stan and Adam's Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages I decided I can make my own recipe easy enough. After a few tries on adjusting the dill to my taste, the following is the result.

Grind with 3/8 plate, refreeze and grind with 3/16 plate

Add spices and dill

Stuff into 22-24 sheep casings

hang to dry for an hour or so and place in preheated smoker and smoke until IMT of 154 is reached - Bad picture for sure

remove from smoker and cool with cold water.

1 Kg pork butt
16 g salt
3 grams fresh ground pepper
22 grams fresh dill weed
2.5 grams cure #1 if smoking
Cut pork into 1" cubes. Chill pork and grinder parts in freezer for 20 minutes. Grind cubed pork through a 3/8" plate. Refreeze and grind through 3/16" plate. Mix pork with seasonings well until sticky.
Stuff into sheep casings. Place in fridge overnight to develop flavors if cooking fresh.
If smoking, hang at room temperature for two hours to dry or hang in 120* F preheated smokehouse for one hour to dry. Smoke for 60-90 minutes, slowly increasing temperature of smokehouse to 165. Continue to cook until internal meat temperature reaches 154* F. Shower with cold water to reduce internal meat temperature to 100*F.

Grilled and served on a New England style roll or better yet, a home made Horse thief hotdog bun by Chuckwagon

If you enjoy fresh dill, I think you will enjoy these little fellas.

Dave Zac
Last edited by Dave Zac on Fri Jan 13, 2012 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 13, 2011 22:02

Those look good enough to steal. Where did you say you live?
The picture of the light color sausage in the smoke house would be a tough one for anybody. A completely black background and light sausage.
How many adjustments did you need to get the taste you wanted?
Ross- tightwad home cook
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 05:45

Dave Zac wrote:If you enjoy fresh dill, I think you will enjoy these little fellas.
Dave,

One of my favourite herbs too. I've never used it with pork, curious to know how up front the dill is in the recipe. Nice looking sausages !

Regards, Gus
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 13:15

Third time was the charm on the proper amount of dill for me Ross. 22 grams looks like a lot of dill but it is not at all overwhelming.

The dill was not up front at all Snag. More of secondary flavor. It's almost like you wait for it...oh yeah, there's the dill!

Dave
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 05:01

Outstanding Dave! Wow, you've got this one down to the fine wire eh? Yup, I share your love for dill too. Lots of folks do. Perhaps you've created a monster here! :lol: I've got the meat for my batch in the fridge right now. I'm grinding at noon tomorrow and the dill is ready too. Thanks for a great recipe as usual and for your willingness to share it too! Nice goin' pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. I still say... "Dave Zac for President in 2012!" :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Nov 16, 2011 06:03

That would be a terrible waste of talent. Why would any sweet, intelligent, talented sausage maker and family man want to waste is time and energy in that snake pit called Washington ? Of course he may be the best for the job. How can the world disagree about anything when their mouth is full of good food?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 16:22

How can the world disagree about anything when their mouth is full of good food?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: