SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Mar 17, 2013 20:05

el Ducko wrote:
To sum up, I make small batches of sausage almost exclusively. Freezing mince in one-kilo lots makes trying a new recipe (or making an old one) quick and easy, because the grinding has already been done. Thaw, mix with spices, refrigerate overnight, then stuff. The "ram rod" approach to stuffing uses little time and few resources, and its PVC parts are dishwasher safe.

...great way to try all sorts of recipes, quickly and easily. Try it. You'll be happier'n an Easter Duck.
:mrgreen:
Geez Signor Pato, I thought you Texans supersize everything! And here you are making what amounts to no more than starvation rations! Heck, around here we need more than 3lbs just for the tasting session! :lol:
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Sun Mar 17, 2013 20:14

Butterbean,

Your works of art make me feel like an amateur. Your's always look wonderfully tasty!
Rudy
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Mar 17, 2013 21:14

Thanks. I was going to carry this to the Boy's Ranch and give it to them. Of course, I have to keep a bit for myself.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Chicken Italian, Becoming Efficient

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Mar 29, 2013 00:33

Now that I'm becoming more familiar with my new vertical stuffer I find myself loving the thing. With a 20lb stuffer and 20lb meat-mixer I've decided to pretty much specialize in 20lb batches of sausage. With my wild hog hunt looming I ordered and received enough Italian sausage seasoning from PS Seasonings to do 300 pounds. I haven't ever been able to come close to duplicating the flavor of their seasoning concoction for Italian sausage with my own ingredients, so I'm just going with it. This turned into a 2-day project due to a late start on the chicken thigh deboning and a lot of arthritis in my left index finger, of all darned places. Once everything was set up the project ran very smoothly.

Being able to grind everything and then refrigerate during cleaning was sweet.

Same with after the mixing

Knowing that I could take my time after each step made the entire process a lot less stressful. The stuffer with the new SS stuffing tube worked flawlessly, no blown casings.

IMG]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee20 ... d09ff0.jpg[/IMG]

Was happy with the way the new labeling system worked out too.

All this was great practice, the wild hog will be a LOT of work to do and not much time to get it all done in. Time to start thinking about a cocktail and firing up the Weber! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Pete
User
User

Post by Pete » Fri Mar 29, 2013 05:42

They look very interesting and some details with the recipe would be good please ray. (Is it as per a recipe on the premix?)

What do you think of the cooked product, I never finish the clean up before some are in the pan for a sample.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 29, 2013 07:08

Sure looks tasty! Is it all chicken or did you add some pork?
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Mar 29, 2013 14:45

I like to use the PS Seasonings 260-B Italian sausage seasoning mixes on our Italian sausage. It comes in packets sized to season 25lbs of meat, I pour it all into a measuring cup and remove 20% for use at a later date. No pork, just deboned chicken thighs and the skin that comes with them, two cups cold chardonney, three cans black olives, two quart baggies of dehydrated tomatoes (about 12lbs before being dehydrated). I rehydrate the tomatoes for a half hour in warm water, then run everything thru the grinder and dump into the meat-mixer with the wine and seasoning, stuff into 32-35mm hog casings. I never have to sample before clean-up because I've used this formula so much it's repeatable every time with the same flavor. I have made my own seasoning for Italian sausage many times with the toasted fennel, anise, corriander and other ingredients, it just never came out quite as good as the stuff I get from PS Seasonings. I'll cut my wild hog meat with 50% domestic pork butt that I have on hand in my freezer (99≠ lb) and have maybe 100 pounds to produce. I'll do half Italian and then some smaller batches of Polish, hot links, and smoked Kolbasz. I'll smoke the hams myself whole, cut out the backstrap steaks, everything else goes into the grinder for sausage. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 21:21

Wow Ray, I'll bet it has a knockout flavor with the wine, tomatoes and olives. Your links look terrific! Shucks, I just might come begging at your front door. :lol:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Salsiccia di tacchino

Post by redzed » Sun Apr 14, 2013 07:18

Salsiccia di tacchino!

To express myself in current colloquialism, I have been "crazy busy" in the last few weeks and have another couple of weeks of work left. Last night, however, I took some time off to relax and boned out a 7kg turkey and made some fresh mild hot Italian sausage. I ended up with 4.5kg of meat from the turkey, and probably could have scraped off a bit more, but it's such ardous work and the leftovers were all saved for stock and crab bait. I then added another 3 lkg of pork, sundried tomatoes, 35g of garlic (all I had was the Chinese ersatz), and red wine. I used the Sausagemaker mild hot Italian seasoning mix and threw in 3 tablespoons of Hungarian hot paprika. Had some some for dinner tonight (with an earthy Rioja) and it's wonderful! Moist, full of flavour, almost sweet, with a delay in the heat. I'm ready for the barbecue season!

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Apr 14, 2013 16:36

Just a pile of sticks for the kids.

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Snack sticks and Summer sausage

Post by Blackriver » Sat May 04, 2013 13:55

Last weekend I made 15lbs of snack sticks and 10lbs of summer sausage. I would have made 25lbs of snack sticks but I didn't have enough casings. Lucky I had some summer sausage casings left so I could use them. As always my friend Chuckwagon is helping me out answering all my questions! Thanks! I smoked the snacksticks with cherry and the summer sausage with hickory. I used the Willie snacksticks, and mild snacksticks pre mixed spices from PS seasonings which were good. Here's some pictures.

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun May 05, 2013 01:02

Looks very good Blackriver, nice texture and I bet they tasted awesome.
Ron
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun May 05, 2013 02:47

Finger food.

Sopressata, peperoni-ettes, prosciutto

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Sun May 05, 2013 03:27

Thanks Bubba!
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun May 26, 2013 12:22

Wanted to try something different with a smoked sausage, and must say this came out very good!
Using the Boerewors recipe as basis I left out the bacon, red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; then added Cure #1.

The links were tied off, hung overnight in the refrigerator; next day I preheated the smoker to 135 F.
Added smoke for about 2 hours and finished the links off in my made-to-work warm water bath using a stock pot, starting at 135F, increasing the water temperature to 170F slowly until 150 IMT was reached. Cold showered the links and left to bloom for a few hours at room temperature.

If anyone wonders why is there one link missing from stuffed to smoked, well that one link is always the probe link and my sample link :razz:

Texture was good and flavor awesome.

Ron