SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Wed Mar 07, 2012 00:46

Took the PID down to 62* and the R/H is steady at 74%

Flipped the chorizo over on the sticks. Gotta clean out the proofer smoker to hang these in cuz going to need the 6 rack soon.

If you ever wanted to do the salt/water trick in your Bradley or other smoker, It does work.

NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
http://bluesmokeandbbq.blogspot.com/
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Wed Mar 07, 2012 02:24

Dick that Butt Bacon and Italian Sausage look Excellent and I like your smoker!!!!

Nepas you have been a very busy man lately, I cant even keep up with your post :wink: Everything looks Awesome!!!!
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Thu Mar 08, 2012 18:49

Had to hang all the sausage in the fridge. Its getting warm out.

NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Sat Mar 10, 2012 21:13

When i tied the salami the string was tight. Its shrinking good now.

Did some rotate the others today.
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Mar 11, 2012 14:45

Sure looking good!
Dick

Never quit learning!
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Mar 11, 2012 14:47

Wanted to show how my last Butt bacon turned out. I did not use honey this time and cut the salt down a little. I like this version better.

Dick

Never quit learning!
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Tue Mar 13, 2012 01:25

Thats some BIG bacon Dick, I'd love to fry a piece of that up with a couple OM eggs, hashbrowns with some gravy on top :mrgreen: Oh, almost forgot the english muffins with a bit of butter.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 13, 2012 01:33

Nobody could find fault with that. It is lovely.
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

A New Kielbasa for me

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Mar 14, 2012 04:48

I decided to make another batch of kielbasa using a slightly different version from ones I've done in the past. This recipe uses the same traditional spices (salt, sugar, pepper, garlic & marjoram), but the process is a bit different.

Here's the KIELBASA recipe I used-a variation on a recipe from Len Poli's site. I usually use all pork so this was a first go at a 'combo' kielbasa, as well as a first time using binders in 'basa recipe...

3 lbs. LEAN Pork shoulder
2 lbs. LEAN Beef Chuck
1.25lbs Pork Fat
Salt (36.0 g)
Sugar (31.0 g)
Mustard seed (15.0 g)
1.25 tsp. Cure #1
Pepper, white (6.0 g)
Garlic powder (6.0 g)
Marjoram dry (3.5 g)
Nonfat Dry Milk (65 g)
Soy Protein Concentrate (40g)
Ice water (8 oz)
38 mm hog casings

1. Cut the pork shoulder and beef into 1-inch cubes. Cube fat & keep seperate.
2. Mix the meat cubes with salt, cure and sugar.
3. Pack the meat tightly into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
4. Refrigerate at about 39°F for 3 days to allow the meat to cure.
5. Grind the welll-chilled meat through a medium plate. Grind the near-frozen fat through coarse plate
6. Combine SPC and NFDM with the ice water; mix well. Add to meat, the pork fat, and remaining dry ingredients; blend to uniform mix. Mix until the paste is very sticky.
7. Stuff into 38 mm hog casings; hang at room temperature until the casing are completely dry to the touch (or 30 minutes or so in a preheated 100° smoker)
8. Apply a light smoke for 30 minutes then raise the temperature to about 120°F and apply a heavy smoke for 90 minutes.
9. Raise the temperature to 180°F and hold there until the sausage reaches 155°F or pull the sausages after the smoke & poach in water bath (165°) until 155° temp is reached.
10. Chill by immersing into ice water.
11. Hang dry. Refrigerate.
------------------------------------

The usual list for kielbasa:

Starts with cubed lean ground beef and lean pork (40/60 ratio, beef to pork). The cure is added as well the salt and sugar. This gets sealed in an air-tight container for three days in the fridge. I also took some good pork fat (20% of total weight) and applied the same ingredients and process.

Three days later, we're ready to make sausage:

Since I'm using two different meats in this sausage, I thought I'd try a binder here-actually a combination of two. I'm anxious to see what they 'add' to the final product.
NFDM & SPC:

Unlike the finer grinds I've used in other kielbasas, this version calls for a coarse grind. Using a 7mm plate here (the 'coarsest' one i have); after the lean, comes the fat...

Poured all the ingredients (spices & binders) into 8oz of cold water and hand-mixed into the meat until a sticky meat paste was formed. I still had some 38-42mm natural casings on hand, so I used those. For this six-pound batch, my son & I used the stuffer attachment on my grinder. With his help, we made quick work of it....

To clear the balance of the meat still in the stuffer, I fed 2 slices of bread into the grinder. This cleared the auger and plate of any leftover meat. With these last 'bits' of meat, I made some polish meatballs-"Klopsiki"...a very tasty treat for the chef & his assistant!

Into the refrigerator overnight. Tomorrow they go to the smoker...

...where they'll be joined by a boat-load of brined pork loin (now hang-drying) which I've had in brine for 7 days. I used a salt & Splenda/Splenda Brown Sugar mix for the brine. With two diabetics in the house (the same two guys making the sausage), I'll see if it lowers the glycemic index on the bacon a bit...

Soon to become Canadian Bacon. :D

THE NEXT DAY:
I loaded all the kielbasa & pork loin into my masterbuilt and set the temp to approx 110-120° and let them hang dry for about an hour or so. Then I applied hickory smoke for the next 3-4 hours-pretty heavy at times.

After one hour of smoke:

I raised the temp gradually to approx 140-150° but kept light smoke going. I knew the pork loin was going to take much longer than the kielbasa.
After 3 hours of smoke. Picking up that good 'red' hickory color:

I pulled the kielbasa after 4-5 hours and plunged them into a hot (165°) water bath . The IT of the kielbasa going in was 132° so in about 25 minutes, the kielbasa were ready to pull.

Dry & bloom after a quick cool down in icewater:

The canadian bacon took quite a bit longer (about 4 more hours). Then I pulled them at 154° & showered them in cold water to cool, then hang dry:

I'm going to wrap the bacon & let them rest in the fridge a few days before slicing, letting the flavors 'mellow' a bit and get them well-chilled.
I've a new 'toy' coming later this week that'll come in handy for the slicing job:

The cook HAD to sample some before I wrap these up:

The kielbasa turned out pretty darned good. My wife (who is Polish) said my father-in-law would be quite pleased with the results. Since he's always been my 'gold-standard' for kielbasa, I'm happy with the way they came out. My boys like 'em too. They are very juicy and the texture has a nice mouth-feel. I thought it'd be 'chunkier' withe coarse grind, but maybe the use of the binders help even everything out. Now I need to get some sauerkraut. :mrgreen:

Thanks for looking!

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:31

Nice job and well done. The binders really pulled the meat together didn't it. Almost looks like a solid piece of meat.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed Mar 14, 2012 14:24

Very nice, Kevin! You make it seem so effortless. I can only hope...

Jim
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Wed Mar 14, 2012 15:29

Butt bacon looks really nice.
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Mar 14, 2012 15:33

Nice looking products!
Dick

Never quit learning!
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Mar 14, 2012 17:52

two_MN_kids wrote:Very nice, Kevin! You make it seem so effortless. I can only hope...

Jim
Thanks, Jim.
Believe me, if I can have some success at creating some decent-tasting sausages, then there's hope for everyone!

We're blessed to have many talented people on forums like this one where we can all learn a thing or two about making sausages.

I know I've learned quite a bit here.

-Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 14, 2012 22:46

You have done very well and very nicely.
Ross- tightwad home cook