SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Fri Mar 23, 2012 23:13

Waiting got the best of me. Gotta look.

Like what i see. Taste is there but needs more dry time. Look and taste again in 3 weeks.

NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
http://bluesmokeandbbq.blogspot.com/
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sat Mar 24, 2012 00:03

I like the looks of that Chorizo Nepas, nice Job fella!!!
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 00:46

Pass the Chorizo, some stix and a beer. :lol:
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Sun Apr 01, 2012 15:17

The chorizo is a couple days from being done. Turned out real good. Getting to like the dry cured items.

This morning the chorizo is at 4 weeks. My wife said oh that taste good.

NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Sun Apr 01, 2012 21:09

NorCal Kid wrote:
Chuckwagon wrote:That's mighty interesting' stuff kid. But tell me... where did you come up with the temperature of 155 degrees to stop? Is this another Michael Ruhlman recipe?
CW,
The recipe is from Len Poli of Sonoma Mountain Sausages. He actually poaches his roll until the IT reaches 152°. Taylor pork roll was always cooked before eaten ,in my experience.

[URL=http://]http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/NewJerseyPorkRoll.pdf[/URL]
Chuckwagon & NorCal, I am a new member on this wonderful forum and just ran across your posts regarding the Jersey or Taylor Pork Roll you made a while back. I am the originator of that recipe that appears on Len Poli's site. I grew up in New Jersey before Uncle Sam had other plans for me. Now that I'm in Idaho, I decided to try to develop a recipe that might be close to what I remember the original Taylor pork roll tasting like. I developed that recipe 4 years ago and since then have had the real thing that was given to me by folks that brought it back from Jersey. The current TPR tastes nothing like what I remember eating back in the 60's - I think the current stuff is inferior. Anyway, I know my recipe has plenty of room for improvement, but at least it's a starting point. NorCal, I hope it turned out OK when you made it, I know it looked good in your pictures.

Rudy
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Apr 01, 2012 21:57

Correct url for pork roll you developed is Pork Roll.
Dick

Never quit learning!
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun Apr 01, 2012 22:39

IdaKraut wrote: NorCal, I hope it turned out OK when you made it, I know it looked good in your pictures.

Rudy
Hi Rudy

Thanks so much for providing that recipe! Taylors ham was something enjoyed by in-laws in Jersey. They really missed it when they moved out to Calif years ago. I thought I'd attempt a home-made variation based upon your recipe. Results: The family enjoyed it. Only change I'd make in future batches is add a bit more salt and TANG-but other than that minor change, it was quite delicious!

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Tue Apr 03, 2012 00:10

NePaS and Devos those are some outstanding looking products! NePaS, what is it that you're enjoying about dry cured products?

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Busy Sausage Weekend!

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Apr 03, 2012 03:41

On a wet, dreary weekend around here, what better time to do some stuffing & grinding? Considering I had the whole weekend off (gearing up for work NEXT weekend with Easter coming), I was anxious to get some sausages made. I had twenty pounds of meat at my disposal (15 pork, 5 beef), so I asked my sons what kind of sausage they wanted. After tallying the results, we landed on three types: Polish kielbasa (no surprises there), bologna and käsewurst (cheese sausage).

I decided to make ring bologna (versus one large chub) as I have a bunch of the ring casings that I`ve been waiting to use. Plus, the rings will cook much faster and hopefully finish about the same time as the other smoked sausages.

I`m pretty much following the same procedures and recipes I used before when I made these sausages with some exceptions. I made the kielbasa without the larger `cubes` I've done in the past & instead chose a uniform grind. Also, I`m smoking the käsewurst this time, whereas last time they went right into the poacher bath.

I ground all the meat the night before, added all the spices and let the batches rest overnight. The next morning, I re-ground the bologna mix using a fine plate (3mm). Big mistake! It took stinkin' FOREVER! The meat set up into a sticky paste which moved glacially through the grinder. It took nearly 45 minutes to regrind 10 pounds....Next time I re-grind BEFORE adding all the ingredients & letting it sit overnight.

For the bologna, I used nonedible collagen casing for rings (43MM x 18 in.)-which hold 1.25 pounds; plus a few casings for summer chubs (2.20 in. x 16 in.) (x4) = total of 10 pounds. Both from Butcher & Packer.

Stuffing:
My son & I got the smaller links done first (kielbasa & cheese wurst) using 32mm hog casings. My boys prefer I make Kielbasa in shorter (bun-size) lengths, instead of the traditional kielbasa rope-length

Then we moved onto the bologna rings & chubs...

And now onto the smoke. Using Cherry dust in the A-maze-n.
Loaded up with not much room to spare (time to build that smokehouse!).
I`m using toothpicks as spreaders between the links.
Just in with the temp at 120°

About 90 minutes into the smoke:

After nearly 3 hours, I pulled the smaller links & plunged them into a 165° water bath. They hit the IT in about 15 minutes.

After a quick ice bath, time to bloom while the bolognas get a bath...

The rings tooks about 20 minutes to hit temp, so they were iced & hung to bloom. The chubs took about the same time.
My custom `dining room chair` bologna display rack...

SAMPLE TIME:
Very happy with the results! Both sausages were moist, smokey and had nice texture. The soft emmenthaler cheese is great!

The bologna is AWESOME!! If you`ve never had homemade bologna. you have to give it a try!
I cut into the chubs. The texture is FIRM (not mushy!), uniform, and has that great allspice/coriander/garlic flavor that works so well with the cherry smoke!

It was fun this weekend, but I`m pooped.....
Thanks for readin!

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Tue Apr 03, 2012 14:35

Kevin, thanks for sharing your beautiful work - it inspires me to try harder!

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 03, 2012 15:41

Kevin, You certainly do nice work. I am afraid that if I made twenty pounds of sausage 18 pounds would have to be given away or frozen. We simply don't eat enough to use that much food in reasonable time.
Ross- tightwad home cook
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Tue Apr 03, 2012 20:24

Taking some slices today.

I think its looking done.

NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Tue Apr 03, 2012 21:04

Those look real tasty, nepas. Great job. Did you need to deal with an mold?

Jim
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:32

two_MN_kids wrote:Those look real tasty, nepas. Great job. Did you need to deal with an mold?

Jim
Not on the chorizo but have mold on the others in the fridge.
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Easter Butt

Post by DLFL » Wed Apr 04, 2012 13:30

I cured a butt for Easter dinner. In the cure I added 1-cup dark brown sugar, 3 Tbs powered Dextrose, 2 tsp ground clove, and 2 tsp cinnamon. I smoked for 6 hours with oak and will cook it in the oven on Sunday to finish.
Dick

Never quit learning!