SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Tue Sep 04, 2012 23:07

I made about 70lbs of sausage about a week ago. I enjoyed it but it was way too much for one day and then run the smoker. Next time I will do about half. I am not complaining about eating it though. I made Summer sausage(PS seasoning kit), Brats, one batch is a kit from PS seasoning, and the other one is the Johnsonville clone posted by Chuckwagon, one batch of ring Bologna recipe posted by Chuckwagon, and one batch of Texas Smokey links, a recipe I posted a while back. The first pic is all the sausage in the fridge you cannot see the Texas smokey links they would not fit in the pic.

The next pic is the Bologna hanging at room temp just before they went into the smoker

The next pic is the Texas smokey links in the hot water bath

The next pic is the Texas Smokey links in the ice water bath

The one is the Texas smokey links and the Summer sausage in the fridge after smoking

Inside of Texas smokey links after cooking

Inside of Summer sausage

I will post a pic of the inside of the ring bologna later when I eat it again the first one I sampled I ate it too fast and didn't take a pic. Thank you very much Chuckwagon for the wonderful Ring bologna recipe! Thank you also for taking your time to answer all my questions while I was doing this!! Two big thumbs up for our moderator who is always willing to help everyone out!!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 01:57

My pal Scott,
You have come so far in just two years, I simply can't believe it! Congratulations sir. You are one of the few that can grit your teeth and hang in there as disappointments inevitably occur... and then learn from your mistakes. Then having tried again, the lights turn on and you are crafting sausage that would make Oscar Meyer turn green with jealousy! Your sausage is magnafique'! You certainly deserve the respect of us all. Did Charlie take that photo of your hand? Oh, and please tell us how your "Bronsonville Jots" (Johnsonville brat clones) tasted? Are they close? :lol:
Yes, it is another "payday" for me. Your photos and comments are my month's pay. :wink: Thank you Scott.

My respect and gratitude sir!
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 06:21

Wow = 70 lbs! 15 lbs knocks me out! And a mighty fine looking 70 lbs I must say.
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Thu Sep 06, 2012 00:16

Thanks Chuckwagon for the wonderful compliment! All I can say is I had a great teacher! Cabonaia thank you. I have to admit my Dad helped me by cranking the stuffer, and tying the sausages for me. He liked helping me since he had never seen how sausage was made before.

The Bologna was a hair coarse but still great. I have a poor quality food processor so I had to use the grinder to get it fine.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Sep 06, 2012 02:41

Everything looks A # 1 and above.
When I buy bologna, I buy the coarse one with garlic.

Sausage lover Joe. :grin:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
redzed

Sausage with Redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Sep 13, 2012 06:45

Along with Project B kabanosy, I made an 11 lb batch of Krakowska. I used 8.5 lbs of very lean hind leg and back loin meat, 1lb lean beef and 1lb of fatty pork trimmings. The meat was cured for two days before grinding. The lean pork was then ground once through a 20mm plate, the fatty pork and beef through a 4mm plate once and twice through a 3mm plate. I used Marianski's recipe in the Polish Sausages book, p. 140, adding only salt, pepper, garlic and coriander. While the appearance of the sausage is a bit pale and the contrast between the show meat the finely ground meats is quite poor, the flavour is superb. The spices produce a mild and delicate tasting sausage, almost sweet, with a pleasant aroma of smoke and a slight hint of garlic. I'm very pleased with it.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46

Very nice Red, very nice indeed! That stuff looks like a professional made it and I'm sure it tastes better than you could buy in a market. Hey, do you know what they would charge for a batch like that in a market?!! Wow. Nice goin' pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 13, 2012 18:14

Beautiful job, looks like a piece of art work!
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Sep 13, 2012 23:07

Superb looking too!

You and some others are inspiring me to get more disciplined about making even lengths when I link.

Did you poach these or smoke cook them?
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Sep 14, 2012 05:16

Thanks for the complements guys. A few people have tasted it and it is a hit. I smoked the sausage for three hours with cherry at around 120-130. I then poached it for just under half hour until it reached 152, although a few were almost 160 when I threw them into the ice bath.

And Cabonaia, there was no linking involved. I stuffed them into 55mm fibrous casings that were 24 inches long. I cut them in half because I could not hang that length in my smoker. But it worked out well because I had 11 lbs of meat and got 11 chubs. And when you give someone a sausage, it looks better if you give them a whole one instead of a piece of one. It was easy work making the Krakowska.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Thought I would try that Kabanosy recipe also

Post by Devo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 16:36

Changed up a couple of things as my test piece just didn't have the kick I was looking for.
Final product is now downstairs for 4 or 5 days to dry up a bit. These things remind me of a breakfast sausage.

All stuffed into 19MM collagen casings and drying out before smoking
In the smoker they go
Blooming over night
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Sep 17, 2012 00:52

Cajun spice? collagen casings?? ay chee-wa-wa! Looks good, but that aint no kabanosy
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Mon Sep 17, 2012 00:57

Nice looking sticks!
Godspeed!

Bob
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Mon Sep 17, 2012 01:22

They look fantastic! Well done!
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Sep 17, 2012 05:20

Dang those are good looking! They would last about 15 minutes in my house.