SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Sat Feb 02, 2013 17:39

Update on Spanish Chorizo;
Day 13; have a weight loss of around 38% and a ph level of 4.7

Imagetp://[/img]

Great smell and all natural mold, still little too moist in center.

colorImagettp://[/img]

anyone with chorizo experience, do not hesitate to comment.

Cheers,

John
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Mon Feb 04, 2013 22:17

If you get a chance SAWHORSERAY let me know what you think about
that sausage? It was my first time making that one. I thought it was pretty good but seemed like it was lacking something. Thanks :wink:
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 09:30

anyone with chorizo experience, do not hesitate to comment.
Maaa Maaaa.......OOOooooo MaaaaMaaa Mia! That's a some kinda nice a stuff! :mrgreen:

John, I do believe you've got the touch! Nice goin' pal.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 13, 2013 19:01

After being away for seven weeks I'm finally home, and in less than 48 hours, I made some sausage as I was experiencing serious withdrawals. I made Kevin's chicken with sun dried tomato sausage and a spicy Italian. The chicken sausage turned out a bit dry because I used only chicken breasts. I did add a bit of back fat, but obviously not enough. The flavour is good, we had it for dinner last night and even my visiting daughter who is a borderline vegetarian liked it!

For the Italian, I used Legg's seasoning mix that I really like. Using Kevin's suggestion, I poached the sausages so all you need to do is warm and eat! I like to give them some sizzle and colour in the frying pan.

I goofed on the casings and soaked the wrong ones. Instead of 32mm casings I pulled out a length of 42+ that I got from my dad and intended to use for making salamini. Another reminder that old guys need to label everything properly before placing into the fridge.

Chicken sausage

Spicy Italian sausage
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25

Nice lookin' sausage Chris. Glad you enjoyed your trip. Nice to be home eh? Hey you mentioned that the sausage was a little dry. I've made this sausage (NorCalKid's) and used a little Fat Replacer - a good product criticized by a few with their nose in the air, for having "no flavor". Why not try Fat Replacer - a product made by the Sausagemaker™ in Buffalo, New York. It just might solve your problem of dry texture. Fat replacer works well. Our pal Grasshopper just tried it last week and he really likes it. It is made of natural ingredients and I've used it for quite a few years now, ever since it came out. It is comprised of Konjac flour (from a plant root), xanthan gum (fermented glucose), and microcrystalline cellulose (cellulose from plants). In the Sausagemaker's recipe, I would guess that the microcellulose is from oats, but I'm not sure. Fat Replacer simulates the "creamy" mouthfeel of fat and can be used in everything from grilled burgers to dry-cured salami. Almost no calories and affordable. Fat Reducer is a proven cholesterol fighter and it is USDA approved. It can be used in hamburgers, meat loaf, breakfast sausage, chorizo, Italian sausage, all types of fresh venison sausage, smoked sausages and salamis. One half pound will process 60 lbs. of meat. Yes, it has been denounced for having "no flavor". Well, duh? Microcrystalline cellulose doesn`t come in "flavors". I`m just suggesting that a little be added along with a reduced volume of real pork fat, in order to give it a creamy texture - just the thing for chicken and turkey sausages with very little fat of its own.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Feb 14, 2013 16:54

Well CW, you are right, there is no place like home, especially when you have the meat grinder at your side. While in the US I stocked up on all kinds of sausage supplies, casings additives and other miscalleous items. I also bought a huge professional slicer that I don't need. Will have to sell it or sell my other one.

I looked at the fat replacer and don't believe I can use it because it does not appear to be gluten free, but I should get confirmation from the Sausagemaker. It also is not very economical at 15 bucks a pound.

My wife has been recently studying different fats and is coming to the conclusion (albeit reluctantly), that animal fats are not that bad. For instance, spreading schmaltz on your bread is healthier than margarine. And cooking oils such as canola are worse than lard because of the processing and and high content of polyunsaturates. Like with everything, moderation is the key, but sausage with a bit of fat is not the devil that some perceive it to be.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Chicken sausage, Fat replacer

Post by grasshopper » Thu Feb 14, 2013 17:11

Chuckwagon is right about the fat replacer when saying use a little bit. I did use the prescribed amount (two tsp per lb of meat). Next time it will be 1/2 the amount. I did fry up a patty before I put the fat replacer in. Then fried the patty with the fat replacer in. To me it was a little too creamy. But what do I know! this was the first time doing chicken (no skin and very little fat). That is why I am here learning from you people. I did use Big Guy feta cheese and spinach chicken sausage recipe.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 20:11

Hi Chris,
Just a follow up on animal fats. After eating quite a bit of my smoked csabai, smoked bacon and other styles of home made and store bought BBQ sausages etc etc over Christmas it was time for a Cholesterol test according to my doctor.
The results came back. 3.3
Just goes to show you, it can't be that bad at all for your arteries eating quality charcuterie.
Regards,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Feb 14, 2013 21:02

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Chris,
Just a follow up on animal fats. After eating quite a bit of my smoked csabai, smoked bacon and other styles of home made and store bought BBQ sausages etc etc over Christmas it was time for a Cholesterol test according to my doctor.
Just goes to show you, it can't be that bad at all for your arteries eating quality charcuterie.
Regards,
Jan.
A couple of days ago our national network, CBC, carried a story about an Australian study that showed the unhealthy aspects of vegetable oil, specifically safflower because of the high content of Omega 6. http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/20 ... heart.html
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Feb 15, 2013 02:36

Redzed, that sausage looks very good! Never mind if you used the wrong casing size, it's what's inside that matters :)
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:37

Crusty wrote:
Regards,
Jan.
Sure Jan, but now they've found out that the stuff is bad for your knees! :shock:
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Smoked German Summer Sausages & More Bockwurst

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun Feb 17, 2013 01:33

I made some good Deutschland-style sausages last weekend. One version is a fresh (non-smoked) Bockwurst, a recipe I`ve made several times before. It`s probably our family`s favorite as it tends to disappear within a week, no matter how large a batch I make.

This bockwurst batch will be five pounds. It starts with a combination of pork, pork fat & veal. This time, however, I`m using beef in place of veal (!)-which probably makes this sausage more of a `bratwurst` (beef & pork) whereas bocks tend to be veal-based.

Meats & fat ground & ready to go:

For a more detailed (photos) look at the process, see my earlier bockwurst thread. It includes the recipe:
[URL=http://]http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5968[/URL]

I`m also making a Summer Sausage, made of pork and beef.
Meats ground for the SS:

For the summer sausage, I`ll be adding a number of ingredients (kosher salt, mace, garlic powder, marjoram, mustard seed, dextrose, paprika, black pepper), including juniper berries and caraway seeds. This recipe can be found on the Poli site, and I've modified only slightly.
The juniper berries & caraway I want to grind first, before adding it to the meat.

Into the spice grinder:

Once the meat is well-mixed, it gets placed in to the stuffer. I`m using 12" fibrous casings for these sausages.

Into the smoker: After 1 hour @ 130°, I begin to apply heavy smoke (apple wood).

While the summer sausage is in the smoker, I can now begin stuffing the bockwursts. Using 32mm natural pork casings that have been soaking in warm water & a splash of vinegar.

Made one long rope & tied off lengths. No blow outs!

These links will now get poached (165°F) for about 30 minutes until the internal temp hits 152°F

On the cooling rack, post-poach:

We had some of these for a late lunch-early dinner. Mild, oniony flavor; firm texture, tender casings. My boys love these sausages anytime (afternoon snack, late night, whenever).

Back to the Summer Sausage:
After nearly 5 hours in the smoker, I pulled the SS & put the chubs into the hot bath (165°F) until done (about 25 minutes). Into a quick-cooling icebath ad then I hung them overnight in the fridge:

NEXT DAY: slicing & sample time!

This SS sliced beautifully; very uniform distribution of lean/fat & spices. Good exterior color, too. Mildly spiced, with definite hint of both caraway & juniper. Not as smokey as I anticipated, but after these `rest` for a few days (& lose some more moisture), I do a `re-taste` and see how the flavors continue to develop.

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Falls work has paid off

Post by workingpoor » Sun Feb 17, 2013 02:22

I have been meaning to post the results of some of my work.

Clockwise it is Coppa, Fenne Pollen Salami, Bresaola, Slow Cured Pepperoni and Lukanka (middle).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 03:30

Boys... I'd say you fellas have a real grip on your hobby! Your "stuff" is most professional. You guys could "partner up" and open your own charcuterie shop! Nicely done fellas! Just make sure your shop is in my neighborhood! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:34

Wow, looks it all looks scrumptious! Sure does not look like standard fare for the working poor around here!

That Bulgarian lukanka has peaked my interest, can you provide the recipe or reference to it?