SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Feb 04, 2012 00:29

was the taste as expected? they look pretty good but do they taste good?
Ross- tightwad home cook
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Sat Feb 04, 2012 04:41

ssorllih wrote:was the taste as expected? they look pretty good but do they taste good?
Taste is spot on the $ and way better than any store bought.

In the past 3 years i have done 2643 lbs of sausage. If it didnt taste good i wouldnt have made so much :wink:

And thats from keeping records from the last 3 years, not counting the other 27.
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
http://bluesmokeandbbq.blogspot.com/
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Georgia Gator Jerky

Post by nepas » Sat Feb 04, 2012 04:42

SE GA has nepasGnuggets ;D

Sorted and rinsed the gator.

Cut into gator nuggets. Going with 2 marinades along with 1 cup water and 1/2 tsp cure 1.

The gator is not as dense as chicken breast so i'm only going to vac tumble for 5 mins then into the fridge overnight.

After 5 mins of tumble its going in fridge.

Be back tomorrow on how i'm going to do this.
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Feb 04, 2012 06:20

Wow 26,430 pounds of sausage in thirty years and you are still humble . That is amazing!
Ross- tightwad home cook
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Sat Feb 04, 2012 06:24

Oh Ok lemme edit

3 years at 2,643 lbs

where did you get 26,430?

Show your pics?
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 06:38

Ross must have moved one bead one place too far on his Chinese abacus! :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Feb 04, 2012 15:23

2643 in three years equals 881 pounds per year times 30 years equals 26430
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 20:22

ssorllih wrote:2643 in three years equals 881 pounds per year times 30 years equals 26430
Hey Ross, thats not how I read Nepas post. I think he simply said he started keeping track the last three years. The other 27 years he has made a lot he never kept track of. Nepas is a really good fellow Ross and I'm sure he didn't come here to be a teacher but if you really wanted to know how he did something I'm sure he would answer you. Yes the man is a machine and puts out a lot of sausage so what, I say good for him. I wish I could be as productive as him and find the time to do it. He has always answered my questions when asked put I'm sure he has better things to do than going from web page to web page answering questions.
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Sun Feb 05, 2012 17:16

ssorllih wrote:2643 in three years equals 881 pounds per year times 30 years equals 26430

Normally i dont respond to posts about the person not knowing me but you???? Your way off base.

If you wish to discuss your problem i'm more than happy to listen...So PM me......EH
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 05, 2012 19:48

Before I decided to respond to you I did a little research. Your first post was this;

" Hey Y'all

New here to this site but been all over the place. Mod on the Bradley forum and in the SMF. Been smoking and curing for 32 years so i gots some experience .

Have a gazillion pics and more to share."

I was certainly hoping that the "more to share' would be more instruction and fewer pictures of nicely made sausage with very limited detail concerning to doing and making.
You have posted more than 160 pictures to the forum and posted link to many many more.
You have been long on pictures and very short on detail. You have been asked by several for more detail and at best you have provided short small answers.
If you feel that I have been baiting you then at least I know that you have been getting the requests for better detail and have chosen to stand above the crowd and just display the quality of you work.
Ross- tightwad home cook
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Sun Feb 05, 2012 20:12

ssorllih wrote:Before I decided to respond to you I did a little research. Your first post was this;

" Hey Y'all

New here to this site but been all over the place. Mod on the Bradley forum and in the SMF. Been smoking and curing for 32 years so i gots some experience .

Have a gazillion pics and more to share."

I was certainly hoping that the "more to share' would be more instruction and fewer pictures of nicely made sausage with very limited detail concerning to doing and making.
You have posted more than 160 pictures to the forum and posted link to many many more.
You have been long on pictures and very short on detail. You have been asked by several for more detail and at best you have provided short small answers.
If you feel that I have been baiting you then at least I know that you have been getting the requests for better detail and have chosen to stand above the crowd and just display the quality of you work.

So you want video to?

:smile: :smile: :smile: :grin: :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDyehWBF ... re=related
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 00:01

Hi Nepas,
For a beginner like me, photo's , video's, recipes etc etc. It's all greatly appreciated as I have an big urge to learn and compare my end results.
Keep up the good work.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 03:44

Nice Production Nepas, I had to stop in the middle for a intermission and make some popcorn. Thats one noisy kitchenaid you got :mrgreen: Good looking stix!!!!
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Quick N' Easy Cheesy Meat Sticks

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Feb 06, 2012 17:29

It seems EVERYBODY-at least in my house-wanted meat sticks for Super Bowl Sunday. I haven`t made sticks since last October (!) so I figured it`s time to make another batch. I decided to use whatever I had on hand to get going with the sticks.

THE MEAT:
I still had the other half of the `twin boneless butts` in my freezer (leftover from my mortadella project of a few weeks ago). This half weighed in at just about six pounds,

After trimming off some of the excess `not-so-edible` parts in the butt, I cubed it in hunks for the grinder. Total weight of 5.75lbs.

I also am using 2 pounds of 85/15 lean ground beef.

I ground the pork butt through a 4.5mm plate, comparable to the beef grind. Meat ready to go:

INGREDIENTS:
Short-Cut: Instead of gathering up a half-dozen or more spices, I opted for the sake of convenience (and time!) to use a pre-mixed packet from AC Leggs "Old Plantation" Snack Stick Seasoning (#116). If you prefer to use your own snack stick recipe, by all means, go for it! To this packet, however, I wanted to add several ingredients to change the final profile a bit (make them a bit hotter, more tangier, and with a bit of BBQ sweetness) including some cubes of 'regular' sharp cheddar cheese.

CHEESY MEAT STICKS

5.75 lbs Ground pork butt
2.0 lbs Lean Ground Beef
1.0 lb Sharp Cheddar Cheese (finely cubed 1/4")

163g Old Plantation Snack Seasoning Mix (21g per pound)
64g NonFat Dry Milk

.5oz Encapsulated Citric Acid (ECA)
Please edit my post to correct the amount.
8.8g = .31oz of cure
*Edited by request of author. (CW 2.6.12@18:18 )
4 fl oz BBQ Sauce (of your choice)
2 fl oz Sriracha Hot Sauce
8 fl oz cold water

Here`s the ingredients I used on this 7.75lb batch:

I hand-mixed all of these ingredients (except for the cheese cubes and the ECA) into the meat to form a nice paste. I put this mixture into the fridge while I tended to other business for the next couple of hours.

STUFFING:
For smaller sausage batches that are 5 to 7 pounds in size, I`ve been using my grinder with the stuffer attachment. For bigger batches, I break out the Kirby cannon. For these sticks I decided to go ahead and use the grinder/stuffer combo because of this wonderful little Cabela`s accessory: the "High-Speed Stuffing funnel"

Using a grinder as a stuffer, in a word, usually stinks! It`s slow, inefficient and cumbersome-particularly if you`re doing the job solo. But I DO like using this tool as it not only makes the job of stuffing a whole lot easier than `regular` grinder stuffing, the high-speed auger moves the meat along very efficiently.

`High-Speed` Auger in place (it attached to the end of the grinder auger):

Flange & funnel in place. Ready to start stuffing!

I`m using 19mm clear collagen casings as I still had a few leftover from my last stick job:

Just before stuffing, I added the ECA with a bit of cold water and the pound of cheese cubes, and made sure these were `gently` incorporated into meat. My understanding was if one mixes ECA too early or before a grind, the meat may become mushy.

With the help of my youngest son manning the `feeding` of the grinder while I handled the `business end` of the grinder/stuffer, which made quick work of the nearly 8 pounds of sticks. TIP: Cut plenty of butcher twine segments in advance so tying off stick lengths goes quickly & doesn`t interfere with the production flow as much.

Lengths ready for the smoker. The long twine perpendicular to the sticks was my gauge in order to keep the stick length consistent so they`d actually FIT in the smoker. I`ve made the mistake before of making chubs too long to fit. Live & learn...

THE SMOKE:
My plan was to do 3 hours of hickory smoke & finish the sticks in the smoker (no water-bath/poaching for these guys). I`m using the A-maze-n smoke generator. First hour, no smoke at 130 degrees for an hour or so to dry the casing exterior.
Here`s a shot after about a hour of smoke applied.

One of the issues I`ve had using my Masterbuilt gasser is trying to keep the temps down to a steady & controllable level. I installed a ball valve to allow me to further reduce the gas/flame output & have better control. The other concern is the hot spot over the flame. The temp directly over the flame is, naturally, hotter and so I need to create a barrier or baffle to divert or spread out the heat. No water pan was used this time. Because of the size constraints of the box in hanging the long sticks, I opted to simply move the hanging meat to either side away from the flame. It seemed to work okay. I`ll revisit this again & see if I can come up with a solution.

Temps & Time: Started at 2:00pm
130° 1.5 hours
135-145° 3 hours Smoke
150-165° 5.5 hours no smoke
165-180° 1 hour until IT of 154° is reached.

Total time: 11 hours
Finished & pulled the sticks at 1:00am

I anticipated this cook to take no more than 7-8 hours, but obviously I was off in my estimate. Since I usually poach after a 2-3 smoke, my inexperience on long smoke times really showed.

Pulled & blooming in the early morning hours. These will sit overnight and I`ll cut `em up after some firming up in the fridge.

Next day, I cut up the sticks to a desired length and got them ready to pack up.

CLOSE-UP: I was really pleased the cheese visible in the cut links. The texture is very nice with a slight chew. Taste is tangy, slight `meaty` sweetness, with just a bit of `after burn.`

These weren't as 'quick and easy' as I'd hope, but I like 'em. Best of all, the boys seem to really like them,too!
Great to have them done in time for the kickoff!

- Kevin
Last edited by NorCal Kid on Tue Feb 07, 2012 02:24, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Mon Feb 06, 2012 18:13

Was this high temp cheese or store bought. I used high temp for some SB beef sticks and was disappointed with results. Not enough cheesy flavor. Did 1/2 lb. of high temp pepper jack for 5 lbs. of sticks.