SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 01:35

That's terrific work Jeff! Lookin' good. How did the "tang" develop with the T-SPX? Was it what you expected? Don't worry about the air bubbles and texture... they will improve as you practice. For your first dry-cure, that's a very nice product. Congratulations!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Nov 01, 2012 01:45

Hey Jeff !

There are different ways of saying opinions, I'll be simple.

For a first try.......FANTASTIC. :mrgreen:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 02:05

Good job Jeff, looks very nice! I also think that the small holes would have disappeared if you would have given it a chance to dry out somewhat. :wink: :wink:
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Nov 01, 2012 04:17

Thanks all. This is not my first dry cure, but it is my first Lebanon bologna. Redzed, you make a good observation. Next time I'll try drying it for a while and seeing if the gaps go away. This will tax my patience considerably.

CW, it came out with quite a tang. In fact, a bit more than I'd like as that is not my favorite style (which is why I used T-SPX instead of FRM-52, which I also have). It has less tang than commercial Lebanon bologna that I have eaten. I wonder if cutting the incubation time would reduce the tang? What do you think?

The texture is the best yet. Not sure why. I ground the meat twice - once before curing it for 10 days, and again through a smaller plate before incubating. After the second grind I mixed it by hand until it was really gummy.

My wife does not like to eat pork, so I wanted to make a 100% beef product. We bought a side of beef and I asked the butcher not to grind the trim, but leave it for me. So I have a lot of beef trim to play with! :mrgreen: Anybody got a good all beef pepperoni snack stick formula?? I would love that!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 04:52

Hi Cabonaia,
You wrote:
I wonder if cutting the incubation time would reduce the tang? What do you think?
Yes, a shortened fermentation period and temperature will certainly produce less acidification.
An extended lag phase may also cause less acidification although it is not recommended. In fact, some people inadvertently produce less acidification by introducing too much salt or even excess Cure #2 to the recipe. Another way to reduce the acidification is to reduce it`s carbohydrate source when forming the mixture.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Nov 01, 2012 05:46

Hi CW thanks for the valuable advice. This is really interesting. Though I have made dry cured sausage before, semi-dry is in fact new to me.

I did use less sugar than called for. But I incubated for 48 hours at 88-90F. So I can try incubating 24 hours next time at, say 75F.

By "lag time" do you mean the time spent between adding the cure (followed by refrigeration), and then adding spices/mixing/stuffing? Why is it not recommended?

Best regards,
Jeff
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sat Nov 03, 2012 04:18

The Lebanon bologna looks great!!!!

I have, however, witnessed the effects of listeriosis first hand and with that in mind, I recommend that you use F-LC as the culture in the future as a precaution .
Godspeed!

Bob
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Nov 03, 2012 06:36

Hey Baconologist - thanks! And guess what, the little air pockets did go away after the sausage spent some time unwrapped (except for the cut ends) in the fridge.

You got listeriosis? Eeeeeeee!

I used TSPX - does that invite more risk of listeriosis in beef than F-LC? Inquiring minds want to know! At least I do.

The meat BTW was from a range fed cow (it was sterile), butchered in a small reliable shop.

Cheers,
Jeff
redzed

Black Sausage!

Post by redzed » Fri Nov 09, 2012 08:13

I decided to carry out a sausage study but kinda messed up. Some time ago I bought some sausage spice mixes and thought it was time to try them out. I had mixes for Polish sausage prepared by A.C. Legg and the Sausagemaker. Mixed 5kg of pork loin and butt meat and divided it in half, adding 2 cloves of garlic to each. I thought I would give it some extra smoke and smoked it for 41/2 hours, I watched my IT and the sausage was not overcooked, but the outside turned very dark, almost black in places. I used the Amazen smoker with Traeger brand cherry pellets, first time using it to hot smoke, so maybe that also had something to do with the end result. But two hours of smoke should have been enough. So it's difficult to judge now which of the two is better, both have a bitter aftertaste from the smoke. And after eating a ring, I had to use a good rinse to try and remove that bitter taste from my mouth. The Sausagemaker batch seems to be a bit saltier and spicier, while Legg's is slightly milder. Can't say I like one or the other, but then it was a failed experiment.
Sausagemaker on the left, A.C. Legg on the right.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 08:39

Red, ol' pard... it wasn't a "failed" experiment at all! You learned something didn't you? I'd say you learned all kinds of things. Therefore, it was a success. :wink:
People often have a tendency to oversmoke meat. Pork is a little more forgiving than beef is, but either doesn't really require all that much. It's kind of like my banjo pickin'... a little goes a long way! :mrgreen:
Rather than tossin' it, try freezing some. After time, the harsh, bitter effect will dissipate slightly.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Nov 10, 2012 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:03

Red and CW,
For what's it worth. When I smoke sausages or whole muscle meat, I always keep the inlet vents wide open and the same with the outlet in the chimney.
I never ever had a bitter after taste in any of the above. I do close the chimney vent 90% to bring up the temperature inside the smoker but I stop the smoke. I mainly go than by colour and IT.
Regards
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Nov 09, 2012 16:22

Well, after spending the night in the fridge, the flavour of the sausage has greatly improved and the taste of the smoke is not as pronounced. When I sliced it looks very good, nice colour and pefect texture. Certainly will not be tossing it. Invited out for dinner tomorrow, so will take some for appys. I know my friends will vaccuum it it up quickly.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Fri Nov 09, 2012 17:33

Red, can't see how it was a failure with 1.75L of Luksusowa.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Nov 09, 2012 19:37

Hey Redzed - it looks beautiful to me! Give it time, let it mellow.

I have an Amaz'n too, and have never gotten such dark color in such a short amount of time as you did. I wonder if that's because I use it to cold smoke in an extremely drafty water smoker. It gets so much ventilation from the bottom, which is essentially open to the footprint of the whole unit, that the smoke goes up and out very quickly. I don't know how much you are ventilating, but it could be that it is not enough for your intent. Crustyo may have a good point. Just thinking out loud here.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Nov 10, 2012 07:04

nuynai wrote:Red, can't see how it was a failure with 1.75L of Luksusowa.
Thanks, I think I got this food and beverage pairing down pat.

Cabonaia wrote:Hey Redzed - it looks beautiful to me! Give it time, let it mellow.

I have an Amaz'n too, and have never gotten such dark color in such a short amount of time as you did. I wonder if that's because I use it to cold smoke in an extremely drafty water smoker. It gets so much ventilation from the bottom, which is essentially open to the footprint of the whole unit, that the smoke goes up and out very quickly. I don't know how much you are ventilating, but it could be that it is not enough for your intent. Crustyo may have a good point. Just thinking out loud here.
I too have used the Amazen for cold smoking, but never before for hot. Actually some of the dark colour has come out and the smokiness is not as strong as it was after a few hours out of the smoke house. I may have over-reacted and over dramatized the results. It's turning out to be a very decent tasting kielbasa. Do you use the Traeger pellets? I bought a 20lb bag here for 20 bucks but have read that you can occasionally buy it on sale in the US stores for as little as $6.99. That is a heck of a lot of smoking time!