Sausage "Chatter"

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Mar 04, 2013 05:22

Jimmy Dean sausage is a good taste but well browned meat tastes better than scorched sugar.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

A very simple sausage recipe

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 27, 2013 03:18

On this saturday past I ground about 12 pounds of pork and packaged most of it for future use but kept out one pound for meals. I seasoned that pound with McCormack's season-all two level teaspoonsful per pound. Tonight I fried a half pound as two patties and it was simply a good sausage taste and texture. I did not add any liquid as I had no plan to stuff it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Mar 27, 2013 04:59

As the kids all say, "OMG!!!"

Looks like I've corrupted the last of 'em, our own incorruptible Ross, with my nefarious "sausage as convenience food" ways. The dark side of the Force (which produces pre-mixed spice pre-mixes) has lured him, perhaps to his doom. He's even gone to speaking of pounds and teaspoons. Oh, the shame of it! (I've sensed the scent of the dark side since this one, Luke.)(Top THAT for bad writing, CW. Bwahaha.)

Folks, I apologize. Quick- - somebody get over there to Maryland, revive poor Ross, and set him back on the path to righteousness, metric weights, and pure cured, smoked sausage. Wave a packet of cure #1 under his nose en lieu of smelling salts. Pack a stick of kabanosy into his cheeks before it's too late.

Oh, the shame, the horror of it all!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 27, 2013 05:08

Take heart! do not dispair! The balance of the gound pork was put up in 1.5 kilogram packages. With those packages I shall make patties for breakfast sandwichs at the rate of 22 per kilogram giving an average weight of 45 grams each. I simply try to be diplomatic and please all sides.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Mar 27, 2013 14:13

Whew! That was close! First, despair, then dat pear, then suddenly, disappear.
I feel tonnes better already. (...especially after the kabanosy.)

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason for the 1.5 kg figure? I use 1 kg packages so I can quickly use all my recipes (which I normalize to 1 kg of meat mince). With a spreadsheet, though, I gotta admit that it's just as easy to scale to 1.5 kg. Maybe you have another cool trick up your sleeve?
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 27, 2013 14:37

It fits a one gallon zipper freezer bag without a fight. This will all get seasoned for breakfast sausage probably but I have learned that chaurice sausage makes a good sammy with eggs.
I simply determine the constant I need for the batch I am making and work from there. For experimenting I sometimes go as small as 250 grams. I also do the same with bread recipes working with bakers percentages.
Ross- tightwad home cook
alhunter63
User
User

Post by alhunter63 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 01:12

Hi guys,

Does anyone have one of those commercial stuffers from Cabbela's??
I'm thinking of buying the 20# stuffer W/ electric motor & was wondering if anyone has one & if they are happy with it???

Thanks
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 01:39

alhunter63 wrote:Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying the 20# stuffer W/ electric motor & was wondering if anyone has one & if they are happy with it???

Thanks
Check out sawhorseray's latest post, "Chicken Italian..." He's got one.

Regards,
Jeff
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Mar 29, 2013 16:42

alhunter63 wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks
I got the 20lb commercial=grade stuffer from Cabelas about a month back and used it yesterday for the third time, I've grown to love it. Comes with a on/off foot pedal that allows both hands to be free during the stuffing process, makes life easy for a one-man operation. My only recommendation would be to order a stainless steel stuffing tube to replace the ones that come with the stuffer, 2" ring size standard. All my sausage and smoking gear is SS commercial-grade stuff that has come from Cabelas over the years; grinder, stuffer, smoker, meat slicer, scale. I'm very happy with all of it, really well built, with proper cleaning and maintenance should out-last me. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
alhunter63
User
User

Post by alhunter63 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 21:53

Thanks Sawhorseray,

That's all I needed to hear, it will be my Easter Present. Tell me, how easy is it to clean?? I was going back & forth between this one & the cannon that Kirby makes. But to be honest, I just don't have the time for a project, wiring that foot pedal to the cannon. One thing I can say is that Kirby is one hell of a nice fella that still has me laughing about vegans & rubber turkeys.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 29, 2013 22:11

All of that equipment Ray has would be at home in a commercial kitchen sink. I bet it is a pain to clean in a standard domestic kitchen sink.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Mar 30, 2013 15:13

" I bet it is a pain to clean in a standard domestic kitchen sink."

The answer to that would be yes, and no. The bulk of my construction business for many years was kitchen and bathroom remodels. I became quite proficient at installing all my own plumbing fixtures because there was a lot of money to be had by not subbing that chore out. I installed this sink and faucet a month after we moved into our curent place seven years ago.

The hose makes it so I can just stand the stuffer tank in the sink and take a brush to it along with scaulding hot water.

Yes, my stuff would be just about impossible to get clean with a standard size porcelin sink and fixed faucet. I'd probably have to go with a brillo pad and garden hose. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 30, 2013 15:51

Very nice. I have a couple of roasting pans that I have to clean in the laundry tub.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Fri May 31, 2013 18:40

I all brand new to this site so I hope I'm posting in the correct section. I'm sure you folks will let me know if I'm not in the right section.

I want to make some Chicken Cheese and Asparagus sausages. I have searched around and cant find much other than the Chicken Cheese and Spinach recipe.

I have purchased some boned chicken marylands with the skin on. Do I need any pork fat? I'm thinking about using two different cheeses, those being a good dry fresh Parmesan and to lessor a percent, some Feta. I think I will use fresh blanched asparagus as I'm thinking the tinned asparagus will turn to mush. Do you think I'm on the right track here?

Can anyone here help me to create a recipe?
Last edited by Divey on Fri May 31, 2013 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri May 31, 2013 18:50

There are a few chicken, feta, spinach recipes that have been successful on this forum I suppose that you could substitute asparagas for spinach.
Ross- tightwad home cook