Sausage "Chatter"

vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Thu Feb 02, 2012 07:20

Rusk is an yeast-free bread of wheat flour, salt, baking soda, and water. It is baked into flat biscuits, split like an English Muffin, then baked again. The biscuits are ground to one of several degrees of fineness (coarse, medium, small, pinpoint) and used in some English sausages. Aside from any other liquid which might be added to the sausage, water is added for the rusk in a ratio by weight of 1:1 or 1:1.5 bread to water.

ETA: Oops. Didn't see Ross's reply when I was writing! Sorry.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Feb 02, 2012 13:04

I will use breadcrumbs rather than rusk. Low bake old bread and use at a ratio of 1:1 crumbs to water. I like texture it gives to an 'english' style sausage or banger. One of my favorite recipes is an english banger served with mashed potatoes, gravy and fried onions. No roll, thank you.

I would only leave a fresh sausage in the fridge for 3-5 days max.

Dave Zac
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Feb 02, 2012 13:58

Due to special dietary concerns in my family, for recipes I've encountered that contain 'rusk,' I substitute wheat-free or gluten-free bread crumbs. They seem to work quite well.

- Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Thu Feb 02, 2012 16:27

revid wrote:thanks thats the one I used .Know where I can buy a decent vertical stuffer,one that will ship to canada at a fair price?
have you tried LEM ?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Feb 02, 2012 16:37

Considering Vagreys discription of rusk, American saltine crackers would be a suitable substitute.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Feb 02, 2012 19:14

My adult son asked me recently if we still eat chicken liver and I told him of course we do. We like it. He said "Oh, I thought that you just fixed it to punish us."
Ross- tightwad home cook
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

High temp cheese question

Post by nuynai » Thu Feb 02, 2012 19:20

I'm making some beef sticks and plan on using high temp cheese in it. I like to let the seasoned meat sit overnight to let the seasonings soak in. The question I have is, do I put the cheese in while the sausage rests overnight or before I smoke them. I'm worried if it sits overnight, the cheese will fall apart. Thanks in advance.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Feb 02, 2012 20:12

Just mix the cheese in before you stuff .
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Feb 02, 2012 23:44

NorCal Kid wrote:Due to special dietary concerns in my family... I substitute wheat-free or gluten-free bread crumbs.
Cracker crumbs wouldn't work for those who are celiac, due to the wheat content. My wife and I use a number of gluten-free products found in larger supermarkets. "Glutino" brand seem the best. If you're baking, the "Bob's Red Mill" folks put out a number of good flour mixtures and pre-mixes.

You might have difficulty finding these if you live in a small town. Fortunately, the bigger outfits like WallyWorld are starting to carry gluten free products. There's hope!
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:24

Would potato or rice starch be suitable substitutes?
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Feb 03, 2012 04:17

Yes, both. Even better for our uses, though, are potatoes and rice themselves. Cook 'em, then add 'em. I'm sure you've seen some recipes. Depending on consistency, you may want to grind 'em up, but in Cajun boudin, for example, the rice is left as-is.

What a wonderful hobby, this sausage making. You can stuff just about anything with just about anything else. ...which may explain some of the interesting things that the grand kids put into the air conditioner vents in the car, or the tray in the Blu-Ray. ("Little eyes are watching YOU, Granddaddy!")
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 03, 2012 04:53

I have seen some swedish sausage recipes that have large percentages of potato.
Ross- tightwad home cook
andrejwout
Beginner
Beginner

storage of coppa and other similar meats

Post by andrejwout » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:44

Hello all,

Just a quick question for you. Once you have 'finished' a cured coppa or salami etc...how long at fridge like temperature do you think it can be stored for, left whole? At the moment my coppa is going well but im only doing 2 at a time for fear of being stuck with meat that has a limited life.....any thoughts welcomed....Chuck!!?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 03, 2012 15:34

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't coppa a dried product intended for long term keeping? I should think that it could get too dry and become woody or if it wasn't dry enough could start to spoil.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ExhaustedSpark
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ExhaustedSpark » Fri Feb 03, 2012 19:43

When using spuds is that baked, boiled, Etc.?????????
tnx