Sausage "Chatter"

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 23, 2012 18:47

I would think that with a 1000 pounds of meat carved from a moose carcase making it go farther would not be a very high priority. It would take a half dozen pigs to just provide enough pork for that much lean meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Mon Jan 23, 2012 18:52

Never having taken a moose, the one question I wouldn't have is, what's for dinner. Thank God for vacuum sealing and take it from there. For me, it's how the stuff you make will taste, not using the meat ASAP.
revid
User
User

moose sausage

Post by revid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 19:09

Well i have lots of moose,some left over from last yr and now another two quarters so theres lots of moose.Damn pork is whats expensive,lol.I figure most of the butchers around here use their own mix so I should be able to come up with something from my online buddies,hint hint.
I am interested in making sausages that are about 1"-1 1/4" in diameter for now and the butcher that sold me the casings said that aprox what they will do.I guess I have to buy pork fat back instead of just pork roast also.Should I go with the powered milk?thanks again guys and if not to busy give me your opinion before I get to the store
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Mon Jan 23, 2012 19:17

Powdered milk will give the sausage a creamier texture and act as a binder but you still need something to replace the lack of fat. Sausagemaker.com has a product called, fat replacer, for people who have problems with dietary needs.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 23, 2012 19:20

Rivid take a peek at this clip: http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k482/nansssor/
and this thread: http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5390
It is helpful for taking advantage of the versitility of pork shoulder butts.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 20:25

I make all kinds of moose sausage, I prefer to use beef fat instead of pork fat with moose. I like to put fat chunks with the meat to 25% then grind it together, mix well add spices and mix again. It makes terrific summer sausage, pepperettes, Pastrami and salami
revid
User
User

moose sausage

Post by revid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 21:45

thanks guys for the input.Big Guy,summer sausage and pepperettes are what I would like to get into.Got a butcher gonna save me some beef fat for tomorrow.Big Guy got a recipe to share?
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 15:46

hey guys,those collagen casings ,I don't have to do nothing with them right?My grinder(2.6 HP 2000W CUISINPRO Electric Meat Grinder )has only short stuffing tubes,I have to cut the collagen casings in two to get over it.Was wondering maybe better to get a 3lb or 5lb manual stuffer with the longer tubes on it?
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jan 24, 2012 15:52

revid wrote:hey guys,those collagen casings ,I don't have to do nothing with them right?My grinder(2.6 HP 2000W CUISINPRO Electric Meat Grinder )has only short stuffing tubes,I have to cut the collagen casings in two to get over it.Was wondering maybe better to get a 3lb or 5lb manual stuffer with the longer tubes on it?
"Toy stores" BassPro, Cabela's, and Gander Mountain all sell the stuffing tubes separately. Maybe you cound fit one onto your grinder. That'll postpone having to buy a stuffer for a bit. You'll want one, though, if you go much further in the hobby. (Ease of use, better quality grind.)
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 16:00

thanks,ws just looking on ebay and the tubes are about $15 a piece but you can buy the manual stuffer with 3 tubes for aprox $50.Was just wondering how fast the meat comes out of grinder when your stuffing and how fast you have to work to twist the casings for individual links.Guess I'll find out .
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jan 24, 2012 16:08

Mine's a 5 lb. manual stuffer, so I couldn't tell you. I just bought an electric grinder myself, but haven't used it for stuffing.

In my experience, using a hand-cranked grinder for stuffing, you have to hold the casing with one hand, stuff meat with a stomper with the other, turn the crank (or operate the switch, in your case) with a third, and hold a beer in the fourth. You could probably keep up. I could. ...kinda sorta.

They sell foot switches. Sounds like a good idea. ...or a stuffer sounds better. ...or maybe a short course in juggling.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 16:20

lol,I hear you bud,got to have a brew while you work.Just did some searching,all the better/cheaper manual stuffer stores don't ship to canada.Might have to go the individual tube way yet.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jan 24, 2012 16:52

revid wrote:...all the better/cheaper manual stuffer stores don't ship to Canada.Might have to go the individual tube way yet.
It's not the best stuffer out there, but I bought a 5 lb. manual stuffer from Sears for about USD 50. It's clunky and weights a ton, but it works. (Some day, it'll make a great boat anchor.) Surely Sears ships there?
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Re: moose sausage

Post by Big Guy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 02:06

revid wrote:thanks guys for the input.Big Guy,summer sausage and pepperettes are what I would like to get into.Got a butcher gonna save me some beef fat for tomorrow.Big Guy got a recipe to share?
ok here you go

Pepperetts

8 Lbs. Pork shoulder
7 Lbs. Venison
6 Tbs. Salt
4 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. Chile powder
1.5 Tbs. Cayenne pepper
1 Tbs. Crushed red Chile flakes
1.5 Tbs. Black pepper
1 Tbs. White pepper
1 Tbs. Prague powder #1
1 Tbs. Mace
1 TbsSpecial meat binder
1.5 Tbs. Sugar
3 Tbs. Ground Mustard
3 Tbs. Ground Coriander
6 Tbs. Milk powder
1 1/2 cups Fermento or powdered buttermilk
1 liter cold water

Grind meats through a fine plate, re grind to mix. Add spices and water, mix well.. Stuff into 22mm collagen casings. Link into 10 " lengths. Hang in smoker and dry for about 1 hr. at 130 F, apply a heavy smoke for about 3 hrs @150 F. Increase smoker to 175 F and smoke to 150 internal. Allow to cool. Then hang to dry to desired texture..

Summer Sausage

10 # Meat, 5 lbs venison/moose, 5 lbs. pork
5 TBS salt
2 tsp. cure#1
2 TBS. Onion Powder
2 TBS. Garlic Powder
2 TBS. Black Pepper coarsely ground
1 TBS. Mustard Seed
2 TBS. Sugar
2 tsp. Nutmeg
2 tsp. Basil
2 tsp. Coriander Seed
1 cup ice water
1/2 Cup milk powder

Grind all meats thru a 3/16" plate. Add spices and ice water. Mix well then regrind thru 3/16" plate. Refrigerate for 48 hrs.
Stuff into cloth casings 4" x12"
Place in Smoker at 130 degrees F. for 2 Hours. No smoke.
turn smoker up to 150 smoke for 4 hrs. with a heavy smoke
Increase smoker to 175 and smoke until internal temp is 150
Shower with cold water and hang at room temp for a couple of hours.
Refrigerate overnight.

Bubba Special

10 lbs meat, 6 venison, 4 pork
6 Tbs. Coarse salt
2tsp cure # 1
2 Tbs. onion powder
2 Tbs. Ground black pepper
2 Tbs. cardamon
1 Tbs. Mustard seed
2 tsp. coriander seed
2 tsp. nutmeg
2tsp. basil
10 tsp. granulated garlic
10 Tbs. Honey
½ cup milk powder
1 cup ice water.

Grind all meats thru a 3/16" plate. Add spices and ice water. Mix well then regrind thru 3/16" plate. Refrigerate for 48 hrs.
Stuff into cloth casings 4" x12"
Place in Smoker at 130 degrees F. for 2 Hours. No smoke.
Smoke for 4 hrs. at 150F with a heavy smoke
Increase smoker to 175 and smoke until internal temp is 150
Shower with cold water and hang at room temp for a couple of hours.
Refrigerate overnight.

Now you should get a 5# stuffer and ss tubes . I have a 5# stuffer from Northern tool and got ss tubes from The sausage maker.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 03:21

Note the venison in the above recipes has been adjusted to 25% fat content with beef fat.