Added Water In Sausage

atiq09

Post by atiq09 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:13

No matter what recipe I use it seems that the prescribed amount of water is not enough and I end up adding more than then listed. I have moved from using my grinder to a dedicated stuffer and that seems to have helped a little. I made Vienna sausages recently and had to add much more water again to make the emulsification process work properly. The final product turns out good, but I am not sure if I am missing the mark with additional water.
ATiQ...
huckelberry
User
User

added water

Post by huckelberry » Wed Dec 19, 2012 19:29

C.W. will be able to answer your question better than I. But, I have found in my sausage making escapades that when I go hunting in the southern states of the U.S. or anywhere I have to keep the game meat on ice I need less water while making sausage due to the meat absorbing some of the ice water. So, it could be that the meat source you use could be allowing the meat to dry a little more than some, also it could have somthing to do with and arid climate. As long as you're getting the consistancy you whant it is ok to add a little more water. The only problem you are going to run in to is if you start making dry cured sausages. You must keep this type much drier as the extra water can cause spoilage. I don't make dry cure sausage. YET! But eventualy... I only make some semi dry and I try to keep it dry.
Chuck Wagon is the man to ask. He will be able to answer any of your questions and is always very willing to help us who are less educated in the art of sausage making. He is also a wellspring of superfluous information. :mrgreen:
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 05:04

I have noticed that twice before the pork I bought was a lot more juicier than other times.
None of the meat was injected prior to buying it as it was cute from a carcass in front of me. Adding extra water really doesn't matter much in my opinion as long as you finish up with an end result YOU are pleased with.
Regards,
Jan.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Dec 20, 2012 16:23

One thing to keep in mind if you are using frozen meat - when you thaw frozen meat, it exudes liquid that looks a lot like thin blood (but is more than that). This exudate should be mixed back into the meat.

Cheers,
Jeff
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Dec 20, 2012 17:16

The amount of liquid a meat can absorb depends on many factors which include but are not limited to species, age, gender and elapsed time post-mordem not to mention the environment in your house, hot, cold, humid, dry, etc. Typically I've found that about 8 oz by volume or weight of ice per 5 lb batch is about where I want to be. Recently I made a sausage of my own devising that was 20% liquid.

While there are general guidelines it sounds to me as if you're on the right path as you're able to discern how much has been absorbed and how much more is needed.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 20, 2012 19:08

For regular smoked sausages, the starting point is usually 100ml of water per kg of meat. From there you can make adjustments accordingly. Different meats absorb water in different amounts. If you are specifically asking for advice about emulsified products, that is a whole different ball of wax. If you haven't already read the discussion about emulsified sausages on this site, do so, I think your questions will the answered there.
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... ed-sausage
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 09:07

atiq09 wrote:
but I am not sure if I am missing the mark with additional water.
No, atiq09, you`re not missing the mark. The water-holding capability of meat is determined by its pH factor and that is entirely dependent upon three things- (a) the genetics of the animal, (b) how much pre-slaughter stress was involved, and (c) the quality of handling following the slaughtering process. When the pH decreases, the ability to hold water decreases also - until at 5.3 pH it reaches its minimum power to hold water. This is called the isoelectric point and for those making dry-cured salami, it is ideal. On the other hand, at higher pH the meat`s ability to bind water is stronger and dry-curing becomes more inhibited. At this higher pH point, we must constantly be aware that conditions are ideal for the growth of all bacteria. The water-holding ability of meat is determined by the quality of the cut. For instance in beef, the chuck and shanks are best moisture-holding choices, along with the whole muscles without the bone. Less moist are any cuts from the head (cheeks etc.). Choices with even less moisture include the heart, tongue and other offal choices and giblets. The age of an animal also influences its water-holding ability, as is freezing the meat.
In emulsified meat water is absolutely necessary. It assists in extracting the "water-soluble" proteins. You know these as actin and myosin. Added water is also vital in keeping down the temperature during processing - just ask anyone using a bowl cutter (Buffalo chopper) to emulsify meat. With a home food-processor, added water is a "must" to keep the motor from burning out. On the other hand, there is a limit. Our members have made good recommendations above. Too much water is not desired. In making an emulsion, use your ear to determine the stress on the motor and add just enough water to alleviate the strain. The emulsion should be pasty, not watery.
Hope this helps "atiq09", and I hope you are enjoying the forum. Good luck with your projects.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 21, 2012 15:16

This page from the FAO meat processing book is worth the time for reading it. http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ai407e/AI407E16.htm
Ross- tightwad home cook