[USA] Potatis Korv (Swedish Potato Saus

CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Potatis Korv (Swedish Potato Saus

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Dec 27, 2012 00:16

The boys are in from school for Christmas break and they have informed me that we WILL be making sausage. They even brought a dry ice box with them to take it back home! :shock:

So, tomorrow morning we'll be making the following items for them to dine upon once they are back in NM for school:

Chicken sausage with, garlic, spinach, and Mexican crumbled cheese. 10 pounds pre-cooked

Beef fajita sausage with garlic, bell pepper (red, green, and orange), sun dried tomatoes, and onions. All veggies will get a good mesquite grilling prior to chopping.

Beef jerky (7 pounds marinading now)

Potatis korv (Swedish potato sausage) 15 pounds (The wife also got them 4 jars of lingonberry preserves to take back for the potato sausage)

The beef fajita sausage is one that we've talked about for quite a while and figure we'll make a small 1 pound batch first to see how it goes. After tweaking the recipe, we'll make around 10 pounds total for the fajita.

We'll post pics of the making and also completed pics once we finish up. Oh, we'll also share the recipe for the fajita sausage if it works out the way we want it to.

Gonna be a great day with the boys making sausage and messing up momma's kitchen! :mrgreen:

Charlie
Last edited by CrankyBuzzard on Thu Oct 24, 2013 07:23, edited 2 times in total.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 27, 2012 01:42

Hi Buzz, if you can share your recipe for your version of potatis korv, I would very much appreciate it. I have never made it, but have had it under consideration for a while.
Best,
Chris
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Dec 27, 2012 07:11

redzed wrote:Hi Buzz, if you can share your recipe for your version of potatis korv, I would very much appreciate it. I have never made it, but have had it under consideration for a while.
Best,
Chris
Certainly sir!

The recipe below is a variant of the one listed on this website that you can find here: Click Me

It's the closest that I've come to finding that matched the sausages my Grandmother (Karin Bengtsson originally from Laholm, Sweden) made when I was a child.

We've modified it a bit until most of the family agreed that it was like hers. We generally make this sausage with 10 pounds each of beef, pork, and potatoes since most all of the family on my side loves it.

The small quantity version:

1 pound potatoes (peeled weight)
1 pound beef (we use chuck roast most of the time)
1 pound pork (butt)

20 grams salt
5 grams white pepper
1 gram COURSE ground peppercorns
2 grams fine ground all spice (fresh ground is best)
40 grams onion (large white)
2 cloves garlic (we use a garlic press to get the meat as fine as possible and still have the juice)
water as required (the 125mL called for in the recipe is sometimes too much due to the water content in the potatoes.)

Grind meats, potatoes, and onion through your course plate (3/8" here).

Mix spices, including garlic, into a small amount of water.

Pour spice mixture over the ground meat and potatoes and mix, mix, mix, mix... You know that part really well I'm sure! :lol:

Stuff into hog casing and then package up as desired.

We don't worry too much about the potatoes turning an off color on us since that's how we've always eaten them. We also do not precook the potatoes, they go into the grinder raw.

The only way we cook these sausages is to boil them until the center temperature is around 165 degrees F. I've never fried or grilled them.

For sausages that are frozen; we remove them from the package, place them into a pot of water straight from the tap on the cold side, and then turn the heat to high and wait for the water to come to a boil. Once the water begins to boil, we turn down the heat and allow to gently boil for about an hour.

Serve with lingonberry sauce if you can get it, cranberry will work in a pinch.

I promise you, the kitchen will smell WONDERFUL!

In place of beef; I've used venison, elk, moose, antelope, ostrich, and even emu. You may have to add some beef fat to these meats since most of them are pretty lean.

The pork and potatoes are a must, but the red meat can be substituted with most anything. Grandmother said that she used elk (moose) most of the time when she was in Sweden and switched to beef here since you can't buy many game meats at most grocery stores.

Let me know how you get along.

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 07:12

Chaaa-lie, you ol' cranky buzzard! Good to hear from you. Hope you had a terrific Christmas. Sounds like your boys are headed in the right direction, taking up Dad's passion for sausage. May I make a suggestion? Take lots of photos during the process... of your boys! Catch them at every photo op and be sure to have prints made. In the years to come, you won't be able to put a price on those pictures. Cherish the memories buddy, and take care of those boys! Be sure to post some pics right here too! Happy New Year pal.

P.S. Please be sure to clean up Momma's kitchen too. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Dec 27, 2012 07:23

CW, it's really great to be back into the sausage and BBQ world! The last year has been a royal pain!

Yep, both boys LOVE to cook and have been tending the pit or stuffing sausage for a while now. The fajita sausage is the oldest boys idea and it sounds like a winner to me.

Lots of pics will be provided for sure!

Question; new thread for tomorrow, or continue here? I'll be sharing the recipes as well.

Charlie