Breakfast Sausgage

sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Breakfast Sausgage

Post by sausagemaneric » Mon Jan 21, 2013 04:44

In case anyone is interested I have a couple tips regarding breakfast sausage. First tip is....Hmmm, I buy a mix from a company called Carlson Butcher Supply in San Francisco CA. I know this may sound like cheating and I suppose maybe it is. But I don't buy it because I am to lazy to mix my own seasonings. I buy it because it has exactly the taste I am looking for in a breakfast patty (and it is my wife's favorite!). $2.50 per 1 lb. bag that will season fifty pounds of meat. I buy 12 lbs. at a time. One tablespoon does a pound ground pork. The other tip is, once a year or so I make the Iowa Farm Sausage out of the Bruce Aidell's Sausage Making book. That is truly a spectacular breakfast sausage, that is at the top of my son's and my list. My wife won't come around to our way of thinking but we like it.
V465
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 07:22

Thanks for the tips sausageman! That recipe of Bruce Aidell's is actually very popular. It's a terrific breakfast sausage recipe.
I'm going to try the mix from Carlson Butcher Supply. And no, it's not "cheating". If it tastes good, why not use it?
Glad you shared the knowledge! Good to have you with us. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 19:36

Does Carlson Butcher Supply have a Website? I googled them with no luck.
Cheers,
Jan.
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Tue Jan 22, 2013 22:45

No web site at Carlsons. You just get to know them by what they tell you over the phone
V465
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Wed Jan 23, 2013 01:24

Oh, by the way, the phone # for Carlson's Butcher Supply is (415) 648-2601. They have two breakfast sausage types. Southern, with some red pepper flakes and country, is the same with no red pepper. They also have spices, any kind you want, West Failian Meat Cure ( same as Prague Powder #1), Casings of most kinds, soy protein concentrate, powdered dextrose and certainly more stuff than I am aware of. They deal mostly with businesses, but have never turned me away.
V465
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Jan 24, 2013 02:56

I love using a mix for sausage type that I've never made!

Make them 2 or three times per the directions, love what you're getting as the end result, and then begin experimenting with the ingredients, and before you know it, you're making all of it on your own to make it totally yours!

I told a very good friend of mine recently to go get a mix for his first batch and experiment on the next 2 or 3...

Keep the ideas coming.

Charlie