[USA] Hungarian Apricot Sausage

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] Hungarian Apricot Sausage

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Feb 06, 2013 04:24

Tried Huckleberry's recipe out today on a ten pound batch, added just a bit more garlic, paprika, and apricots. Started out with a 11.4 lb porkbutt and removed the bone in proper fashion even tho it was going to get chopped up for sausage, makes for good practice. What was left was going to be close enough to ten pounds for me so I didn't even break out my scale.

Ran the re-hydrated cots and chunks of butt thru my grinder, 51 seconds

The only food processer I know how to use came in handy on the garlic

Wasn't going to do set-up and clean-up on the meat-mixer for ten pounds.

Fresh pack of casings, says good for 25lbs, enough there to do 50 to 60lbs. Shrink-wrapped the leftovers in salt after picking the thickest ones to make the fattest sausages

My last 3-4 sausage ventures I've been using the CW tip about placing the sausages on a tray in the freezer for an hour before shrink-wrapping. This really helps maintain form and presentation, CW knows all things sausage.

Ended up with a half dozen 4-packs and two test patties that stayed in the throat of the grinder. Great flavor, thanks Huck! RAY
Last edited by sawhorseray on Sun Feb 10, 2013 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 07:33

Huck is headed out to work for a while and he says he's going to miss eating his own sausages. From these photos, I can understand the reason why. For convenience, allow me to post Huck's recipe here:

Huckleberry's Apricot Sausage
(Fresh Sausage)

For 10 pounds of meat, use:

Kosher salt 5 tablespoons
Black pepper 1-1/2 tablespoons
Hungarian paprika 5 tablespoons
Fresh garlic 8 large cloves
Ground allspice 1-1/2 tablespoons
Dried apricot slices (2 cups)

I added about 1 quarter cup warm water to the apricot slices after dicing them into small pieces just a break up the sticky mass. Once it was loose I combined everything and mixed until I had a nice sticky sausage paste. My wife says she can't decide if she likes it or the tomatoe, basil, parmesan better. It has a very mild flavor but it's tasty. Since it is a fresh sausage there isn't much to it. Hope you like it.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Wed Feb 06, 2013 23:31

Thanks Ray. I agree... they needed more garlic. Thanks to you as well Chuckwagon.
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Feb 07, 2013 00:21

Sounds like a great recipe, and also a great show of the process!

Now Ray, be careful about the compliments on Ol' CW... Stetson might have to make larger hats if we compliment too much! :lol:

Charlie
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Feb 07, 2013 02:04

Chuckwagon wrote:My wife says she can't decide if she likes it or the tomatoe, basil, parmesan better.
Hi CW,

Using the quoted ingredients, how much would I use of each per weight of meat?

I tried to see if the recipe was posted elsewhere but could not find it. :)

Would like to make some of the sausage soon.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Feb 07, 2013 02:15

Bubba that one is easy the recipe is for 10 pounds of meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Feb 07, 2013 02:16

Huck, great recipe, I was remiss in not including it on my original post, CW bailed me out. I went with a extra tbsp of paprika, a extra cup of cots, and four more cloves of garlic, no big difference. Thanks again, I really like that sausage.

Cranky, I could never compliment CW enough. His 7-UP brining solution for turkey and chicken has become the staple of my wife's diet, I've been ordered to not run out. I'll be using CW's Canadian Bacon recipe next week, the market ads came out today and whole pork loin is going for $1.99lb at Safeway. I'll pick up two packs on Saturday, should be 14-15 pounds, and get them brining in the fridge. We're going to drive to Las Vegas on Sunday for a couple of days, I'll be smokin' when we get back. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:21

The Big Buzzard wrote:
careful about the compliments on Ol' CW... Stetson might have to make larger hats if we compliment too much!
Garsh fellas!... I'll manage... I'll manage! Keep 'em comin'... I'll manage! :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Feb 07, 2013 15:54

ssorllih wrote:Bubba that one is easy the recipe is for 10 pounds of meat.
Hi Ross, thank you.
The Apricot sausage has different ingredients, and when CW responded he mentioned that "his wife can't decide if she likes it better or the Tomato, Basil, Parmesan."

Is the recipe with those ingredients (Tomato, Basil, Parmesan) posted elsewhere?
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Feb 07, 2013 18:10

Bubba, That post by CW was a quote of a Huckleberry post.
Bubba go to Hucklebery in the member list and pull up his profile and then click the line all of his posts and that will bring you to the post with the pictures. I couldn't find any recipes but his posts are very good.
Hope this helps.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Feb 07, 2013 19:18

Thank you Ross,

I will have a look at his posts. :)
Ron
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Thu Feb 07, 2013 22:25

The tomato basil sausage was from NorCalkid. Look him up on the site . You'll find the recipe under his posts.
Glad you enjoyed the apricot sausages Ray.
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Feb 08, 2013 00:05

I like the look of this recipe!
Since I picked up a dehydrator last summer for the wife, we've a load of dried apricots that I can see would go very well in these sausages!

Kevin

Bubba, here's the post with the recipe for the other SD tomato/basil/parm sausage:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5844
Scroll about half-way down to see the actual recipe.
Thighs, skin & chicken fat make for the tastiest version.... :wink:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Feb 08, 2013 02:44

Thank you Kevin,

That's the recipe I was trying to find.

I appreciate the link and will make some either this weekend or next. :)
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 03:50

Oh gosh kids! When I was married, years ago my wife took a snapshot of me shooting a deer with my 30-30 Winchester carbine while catching a huge Rocky Mountain rainbow trout with a bent pole and super-strength line. Both tasted like I was in paradise and I still cook over reduced coals and today, I still always brush the meat with a little cowboy's secret sauce! My goodness kids, lets all try to help each other along life's trials and learn how to support each other. This is what life is all about, believe me!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon