[USA] Paint Chip Sausage

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Feb 13, 2013 16:32

Here's that "Paint Chip" Sausage recipe that I promised. Those of you who are literal minded (you know who you are) should use paint chips in place of the vegetables and "secret blend of herbs and spices" listed here. Don't worry about density differences between paint chips and spices. If you choose lead paints, soon it won't matter anymore.

This is based on a Rytek Kutas recipe called "Greek Turkey Sausage." My copy of his book is in storage at the moment, but I've scribbled the reference down as "Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing, 4th ed." p.183. (Don't never, ever, agree to selling your house without thinking things like storage issues through.) You'll like this one if you like Greek food. ...or not. We do.

It's a fresh sausage, so the usual cautions and precautions apply- - keep it cold, stuff in the usual 22-24 mm size hog casing, cook thoroughly before eating, eat or freeze within four days, do not pass "GO," do not collect $200. (We're still mad at Hasbro for doing away with the "iron" token in their Monopoly game. What's next? ...the "sausage grinder" token?)(Oh. Wait. That's a little "cannon.")

Enjoy. This has been scaled so that you can buy a 1# package of ground turkey at the supermarket. In my experience, few commercial ground turkeys take to the air like wild turkeys do, so you should be good with ground commercial turkey.

You will note a colorful addition to the meat- - the green spinach and cilantro, the yellow garlic, the black (unless you use red/green/black mix) peppercorns, the white feta cheese, the yellow feet and beaks and skin and other unmentionables found in commercial ground turkey. These are a metaphor for paint chips. (Be sure and look up the word "metaphor" before you use real paint chips. Otherwise, please designate me as the beneficiary on your life insurance policies.) For added realism, finely chop the spinach and crush, rather than grind, the peppercorns, to achieve an approximation of paint chip size.

The recipe (in all its glory):
Rytek Kutas' "Greek Turkey Sausage."
● 7 oz (190 gm) ground pork (80/20 mix)
● 1 lb (450 gm) ground turkey (25% or so fat)
● 13 gm salt (gives 1.5% salt in the batch)
● 50 ml ice water (dissolve the salt in this)
● 100 gm Feta cheese (goat milk preferred)
● 15 gm white onion, chopped and rinsed
● 2 gm garlic, sliced to resemble paint chips, rinsed
● 2.2 gm peppercorns (mixed colors), crushed, not ground
● 1/2 gm cilantro leaf, chopped to paint chip size
● 1/2 gm oregano leaf, chopped to paint chip size
● 1/2 gm anise seed (better grind this one)
● 18 gm spinach, chopped to paint chip size

Eat this. Enjoy. Then ponder life's burning question:
Why is it spelled "turkeys" instead of "turkies" ?

Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 13, 2013 19:14

Great recipe Patito! I think it would be nicely paired with some Greek wine. Last time I had some it tasted like turpentine! Oh, and where do you get them "usual 22-24 mm hog casings"? And one more question, what does literal-minded mean? And it's interesting to note that the Greeks like to consume turkey, but don't like their neighbour whom the British named after that majestic bird.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Feb 13, 2013 21:55

redzed wrote:Great recipe Patito! I think it would be nicely paired with some Greek wine. Last time I had some it tasted like turpentine!
Ahhh! Another retsina fan! This stuff is good for you, too, at least as a preservative.
redzed wrote:Oh, and where do you get them "usual 22-24 mm hog casings"?
First, you skin a hog. Then, rub your favorite dry rub into all exposed parts. Next, reach down its gullet (or up its "other end"), grab hold of something, and give it a good yank. The li'l critter will turn inside out with a "pop!" and there you are- - sausage! ...better yet, already-stuffed sausage! WooHoo! (Oh, yeah- - be sure to hose off, then scrub off, the new outside. This is important.)
The leftover skin can be fried (so-called "cracklin's" or pork skins or "chicharrones"), or you can stitch up the open places, inflate it with air, and play football or rugby. What a wonderful, multi-purpose, multi-tasking, give-it-all animal! (Sigh) ...makes me (sniff) want to... just... (sob)
redzed wrote:And one more question, what does literal-minded mean?
Literally, or figuratively? Besides, who's counting?
redzed wrote:And it's interesting to note that the Greeks like to consume turkey, but don't like their neighbour whom the British named after that majestic bird.
Your ol' red-coated buddies are... well... how can I put this... er... Let's just say that the ol' empire ain't what it used to be, and leave it at that. A friend of mine, a Man whom we'll call Otto, explained it to me best: "[---comment deleted---]" But if you think the Greeks dislike the Turks, you ought to hear what they think of the Germans. ...and the bankers. ...and the German bankers. ...and the people of Venice. ...and...

Yours for whirled peas,
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Feb 15, 2013 02:44

I read on Wikipedia tonight that male ducks never quack!

Nice recipe El Ducko, and believe me, from here onwards every time I walk through the paint section at HomeDepot, it will forever remind me of you! :D
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 15, 2013 03:21

Whom ever wrote the piece for wikipedia didn't know what they were talking about. Nancy and I followed one mallard drake on the water with a 5 ton sailboat and that duck was giving us hell for ten minutes until we broke off and left him alone.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:15

Topic Split 2.15.13 @0314 by Chuckwagon ~ See: "Casing Question" in "Sausages" forum.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:15

ssorllih wrote:Whom ever wrote the piece for wikipedia didn't know what they were talking about.
I was thinking the same thing about the author maybe being incorrect :)
Ron