Pastrami Wurst With Swiss Cheese And Home-Made Buns

IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Pastrami Wurst With Swiss Cheese And Home-Made Buns

Post by IdaKraut » Wed Mar 20, 2013 02:16

Inspired by a recipe I found here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/adam ... index.html, I decided to modify it somewhat and make the following:
URL for original recipe: (www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/adam-gertle ... index.html)

Ingredients:

Beef, chuck, finely ground____________________________________________2268g
Ice cold water_______________________________________________10%____226g
Kosher salt__________________________________________________1.79%_39.4g
Dextrose____________________________________________________0.66%_15.0g
Pickling spices, finely ground in spice grinder________________________0.71%__16.1g
Brown sugar_________________________________________________0.81%__18.4g
Cure #1_____________________________________________________0.265%_6.0g
Garlic, dry, granulated__________________________________________0.48%__11.0g
Coriander, ground_____________________________________________0.418%__9.5g
Black pepper, medium grind______________________________________0.52%__11.8g
Juniper berries, finely ground_____________________________________0.09%___2.0g
Non-fat dry milk powder_________________________________________3.4%___76.7g
Sodium erythorbate____________________________________________0.055%__1.2g
Meat binder phosphates (I use triple phosphates from Butcher-Packer)____0.50%___11.3g
Swiss cheese, diced,____________________________________________20%___454g

Note: I used Sodium erythorbate because I didn't want to wait for the cure to work overnight. You may omit this if you can keep the mix overnight and smoke the next day.

Swiss cheese, 1 pound, diced to about 5.5mm:

Stuffed into removable cellulose casings:

I smoked these for 3 hours using pecan pellets in my Amazing smoker device while keeping the smoker at or below 60°F. They then went into a hot water bath at 155°F until the IMT hit 150 (took about 45 minutes). After peeling the cellulose casing off:

I decided to follow the recipe for the onion/caraway rye buns in the above mentioned link:

Quickly pan fried and on the bun, tastes really great:

Imagehttp://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/adam ... index.html
Last edited by IdaKraut on Fri Mar 22, 2013 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 20, 2013 05:29

Looks grand, Rudy!!
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Mar 20, 2013 18:26

Man, that is one great looking job! The sausage, the buns, it all looks perfect. I'm going to try that recipe for the buns, thanks for posting. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Wed Mar 20, 2013 19:43

Thanks. The buns did turn out really good and I'm a terrible baker (except when it comes to making pizza).
Rudy
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 22:01

Great looking sausage.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 08:45

One heck of a nice job Rudy. They look terrific.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Mar 21, 2013 17:01

After tracking down the bun recipe and printing it out the first thing I realized is that I don't own a standard mixer with a dough hook. I'd buy one but we just don't do enough baking to warrant such a purchase, and I've already exceeded the limits of the butler pantry for all my sausage making gear. Time to check youtube for some bread-making videos, I'm sure a satsfactory job can be accomplished the old fashioned way. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Mar 21, 2013 19:49

Ray, I have been making my bread for at least 55 years. The easiest method I have found measures all of the flour into a large bowl digs a hole in the flour and pours in the liquid and adds the yeast. That sits and sogs for ten minutes or so then it get mixed until all of the flour is wetted by all of the liquid. Then that is allowed to sit for twenty minutes and it is mixed by hand for three or four minutes in the same manner that you mix sausage. Dust the dough with a little flour and push it around to make a ball sorta. pour a bit of fat around the dough maybe a generous tablespoonful and push the dough around until it is coated. Cover it with plastic and leave it until it is spilling over the sides. pictures here: http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/nanss ... 8986715231
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Mar 21, 2013 22:33

Thanks Ross, that looks easy enough to follow even for me. I'd imagine a clump of finished dough shaped roughly into the size of a playing card would bake out to just about a perfect sandwich roll. Trial and error will solve that, and I've already got everything I need right here from when using my bread machine. RAY
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Thu Mar 21, 2013 23:44

Chuckwagon wrote:One heck of a nice job Rudy. They look terrific.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Thanks CW, it means a lot hearing this from you. One of my taste testers said it reminded him of kielbasa mixed with pastrami. He said he loved it.
Rudy
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Thu Mar 21, 2013 23:48

Ray,
I wouldn't have a stand mixer were it not for my love for making pizza. I have since found that I can make a decent dough using my KitchenAid food processor. If you have one, I'm sure the bun recipe would work well in that. Otherwise, I would listen to Ross, he's our baking guru.
Rudy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 22, 2013 00:10

Ray if you need a pizza peel it is just a very large wooden spatula with a long handle. I made mine from a yellow poplar 1x12 about 30 inches long. Dress it to about 3/8 thick and with a hand plane or belt sander taper the paddle to a 1/8th inch edge.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Mar 22, 2013 00:29

Sausage looks fantastic Ray. I love that Swiss oozing out. I have never tried cheese I'm my sausage. Looks like the time has come.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Fri Mar 22, 2013 00:35

Dave,
Cheese in sausage is great. Give it a go.

Just a few notes: I quit using the overpriced "high temp" stuff because you don't need it. Just keep the temps to 160°F or less and anything except soft cheeses will stay put and not melt out. I like to finish mine in hot water bath kept at 155°F until IMT hits 150 and never had problems. Also, I use one of those dicing devices to cube up the cheese, here's the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HI ... e=&seller=
Rudy
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Mar 22, 2013 00:51

Hey Rudy - those look beautiful! Question...did you use hi-temp cheese, or just cheese cheese?

Jeff