Canada Goose Salamini Cacciatore

redzed

Canada Goose Salamini Cacciatore

Post by redzed » Mon May 06, 2013 05:28

I started this batch of Salamini Cacciatore made from Canada Goose breasts and pork in late February, more than two months ago. As far as the spices, I looked at Hank Shaw's recipe for wild boar cacciatore and Marianski's pork and beef version, and modified it for my own honker creation. Salami cacciatore is a spicy sausage and works well with game meats. In using 40+ hog casings I expected the sausage to be ready in 3 to 4 weeks, but it remained too soft for my liking each time I sampled it. Finally after eight weeks it was ready. It is firm and each slice bends nicely into a circle without crumbling. Spice combination is complex and the heat comes through after a bit of a delay, without overwhelming the garlic, coriander and caraway.

Most of the 5kg. batch was dry cured only, but to experiment I cold smoked a couple of rings. Using oak, I smoked them in two 12 hour sessions. The cold smoked salaminis dried faster and resulted in a stronger tasting product but, surprisingly, the difference was minimal. Wild goose meat is very dark and very lean, hence the burnt red colour of the cured salamini. Sausages were sprayed with Mondostart mould culture and quickly developed an even cover of fine powdery mould. I was especially pleased that there were virtually no wild mould spots present, unlike last autumn when I first placed product into my newly constructed chamber.

Canada Goose Salami Cacciatore

2200g. Canada Goose breasts
2000g. lean pork
800g. back fat

135g. salt
12.5g. Cure #2
4tsp. caraway (toasted and ground)
2tb. garlic powder
2tb. coriander (toasted and ground)
1tb. hot chili powder
3tb. hungarian paprika
10g. dextrose
15g. coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup distilled water
1/2 cup red wine
6g. Mondostart 2M

All meat and cut into 3cm. cubes. Goose meat was meticulously trimmed of any ventricles, silver skin, fat and blood deposits. Everything placed into freezer for a little over one hour and then ground through a 20mm plate. Added all the dry ingredients, mixed and reground through a 6mm plate. Stuffed into 40+ hog casings and fermented in my smoker for 48 hours with temp bouncing around between 18 and 25°C. Humidity also fluctuated between 80 and 90%. The PH was down to 5 when I transferred it to the curing chamber. The chamber is running at 13° and humidity at 75-85%, although there are upward spikes when I place new product into it.
Last edited by redzed on Sat Jun 15, 2013 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 06, 2013 08:57

Very nice Chris! It looks amazing. Just curious why you didn't use a bio culture for acidic development. Could you describe the flavor of your product. It looks very tasty.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Mon May 06, 2013 11:57

Looks fantastic!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon May 06, 2013 17:10

Chuckwagon wrote:Very nice Chris! It looks amazing. Just curious why you didn't use a bio culture for acidic development. Could you describe the flavor of your product.
CW, I used Mondostart 2M culture, a Canadian product, medium acting. I should have mentioned in my recipe that I dissolved it in distilled water with a sprinkle of dextrose and added it, together with the vino to the mix after the second grind. I have used it now five times and have enough left for one more go. After that I will be using Hansen products that I have in the freezer. My only problem in fermenting this particular batch was that I had trouble reading the PH strips and was not sure whether the culture really worked. But the result proved that it did, as the tang does come through into the salamini. I used a bit more dextrose than Marianski, and the sausage has a spicy, mildly sweet and tangy flavour.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Mon May 06, 2013 20:18

Looks great!
Godspeed!

Bob
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 07, 2013 09:24

Hi Chris,
Looking back at your recipe, I do see the Mondostart now. I missed it the first time I read it. Great product pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D