[AUSL] Chicken Cheese and Asparagus Sausages.

Divey
Beginner
Beginner

[AUSL] Chicken Cheese and Asparagus Sausages.

Post by Divey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 09:16

Chicken Cheese and Asparagus Sausages.

2 kgs Chicken Maryland (boned thigh and leg with skin on).
60 g Fresh Parmesan Cheese. (Coarsely Grated).
100g Feta Cheese. (Crumbled Coarsely).
3 Bunches of Fresh Asparagus.
75g Dry Bread Crumbs.
150mls Water.
30 g Salt.
6g Phosphate (Emulsifier).
2.0g Nutmeg.
1.0g Allspice.
*7.0g Black Pepper (Freshly Ground).
*3.0g White Pepper (Freshly Ground).
Hog Casings 34/36mm.

**Warning... This was slightly overpowered with pepper. For the folks that really like pepper...go for it. However, I will be reducing the Black Pepper to 5g and the White Pepper to 1.50g when I do the next batch.

I must say firstly that I was inspired by Gray Goat`s Chicken Sausage with Spinach and Feta recipe and it was that recipe that I basically followed changing some ingredients as I went.

Method.
1. Put the chicken pieces including skins into the freezer.

2. Snap the Asparagus spears to get rid of the woody lower section and blanch the whole spears in salted water for approximately 3 minutes. Drain the spears from the boiling water and plunge into icy cold water and leave aside till cool.

3. Drain the asparagus using a colander and then place the drained asparagus on quite a few layers of kitchen paper towel and cover with more layers of kitchen paper towel and then place a flat plate on top of the further draining asparagus to squeeze out the excess moisture. When fully drained, line up the asparagus spears like tin soldiers and cut them into about 3mm rounds and set aside once again.

3. Run the partially frozen chicken meat through the mincer using a medium grinding plate.

4. Place the ground chicken and all other ingredients OTHER than the cheese and asparagus into a large bowl and mix all ingredients very well.

5. When you are happy that the mixture is combined evenly, gently mix through the cheeses and asparagus ensuring that you don`t break up the cheese and asparagus too much.

6. Stuff the hog casings and link the sausage to your desired lengths.

Last edited by Divey on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13, edited 2 times in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:07

Looks terrific Divey! Wow, how about a photo of a few cooked on your grill? :wink: Oh yes... we've just got to know how the asparagus tastes in your sausage.

Just a tip to our inexperienced members. This is a "fresh" type sausage and must be used within three days or frozen. If the sausage is to be smoked, it must have Cure #1 added to the ingredients.

Congrats Divey, looks like you have a winner!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:41

Chuckwagon wrote:Looks terrific Divey! Wow, how about a photo of a few cooked on your grill? :wink: Oh yes... we've just got to know how the asparagus tastes in your sausage.

Just a tip to our inexperienced members. This is a "fresh" type sausage and must be used within three days or frozen. If the sausage is to be smoked, it must have Cure #1 added to the ingredients.

Congrats Divey, looks like you have a winner!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Sorry mate about the photographs.... all consumed. :mrgreen:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jun 06, 2013 14:09

This could be a good recipe to use the tough portions of the asparagas stalk that are too tough for the table but still have good taste. I snap the stalks in my hands and the part with the tip is always tender. The rest of the stem I grate and make into a cream soup but it could be used perfectly in this sausage. By grating the tough stems the stringy fibers don't slice and just shred and stay with the stump.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 20:25

ssorllih wrote:This could be a good recipe to use the tough portions of the asparagas stalk that are too tough for the table but still have good taste. I snap the stalks in my hands and the part with the tip is always tender. The rest of the stem I grate and make into a cream soup but it could be used perfectly in this sausage. By grating the tough stems the stringy fibers don't slice and just shred and stay with the stump.
That's a good idea and you would be able to make the sausages a little cheaper, however, the appearance of the sausage will suffer a tad as there will be less chunks of asparagus visible.

My number 2 Son, who requested that I make these sausages in the first place, has now requested the addition of some cheddar cheese so it will melt through the cooked sausage. :roll:

You can never please all the people all the time, just half the people for half the time. :cry:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jun 06, 2013 21:12

Cheddar cheese is very good with asparagas. But a good sharp cheddar.
Ross- tightwad home cook