Chorizo With Hot Peppers

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Chorizo With Hot Peppers

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 08, 2012 19:14

This topic was continued from a "Split" by CW on 091513@0440 from: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

I had a kilo of chicken trimming, mostly meat but with some skin and fat. This morning I ground that from small chunks cut from a partially frozen lump. It ground nice and clean no sinew wraps and no fat smearing.

I mixed the spice blend as per El Ducko's formula and was quite astonished by the volume.

The chicken is the first departure from the recipe and the second was an empty space on the shelf where the origano should be. So I used a little cilantro.

It is now all mixed and waiting in the fridge for my decision to stuff or not. I know that some will be blended into drop biscuits. The next move is a test patty.
More later.
Last edited by ssorllih on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 08, 2012 20:26

Test patty made. I must make this once more with pork because with chicken it doesn't suit me . I believe that this recipe will work well in biscuits.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Sep 08, 2012 22:28

Yeah, that's a lot of chiles. :!: This style goes against the Stan Marianski grain of "why all the perfume?" (What a great quote!), but it's the Mexican style. Stan's guidance in the book is that the maximum amount of spice shouldn't exceed about 0.39% of the mixture for any given spice, yet the anchos come in at a whopping 1.8% and the pasillas at 1%. The garlic is at about 1.5% and the sweet paprika is at about 0.6%. Yeow! :cool:

Oregano (especially Mexican oregano) is more authentic, but then, in a pinch, go with what ya got. They use lots of dried cilantro, too.

...guess I never tried it with chicken. ...biscuits either. (I'm a yellow corn tortilla kind of guy.) Thanks for trying! It's good with pork, especially browned and scrambled with eggs.

While you're at it, feel free to run the fat content up (from about 22% to as high as you want, like the commercial guys do). I think you prefer your sausages saltier, too, so you might run the salt up from about 1.1% (yes, that includes the cure) to 1.5% (17 gm) or 2.0% (24 gm).

Sounds good, though. Enjoy, smoked or not. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 08, 2012 23:51

Those chilis aren't screamingly hot and there is a lot of taste in there. I think that the moisture content in the chicken may be a factor. I will do it in pork just to compare.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 09, 2012 00:05

ssorllih wrote:Those chilis aren't screamingly hot and there is a lot of taste in there. I think that the moisture content in the chicken may be a factor. I will do it in pork just to compare.
Yer right, Ross. The anchos are for color, mostly. They lend a little bit of sweetness, if anything. ...practically no "heat." :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 09, 2012 00:13

The anchos add a fine taste.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 09, 2012 21:36

I just mixed a pound and a half of biscuit flour mix with a pound and a quarter of chicken chorizo and about a pint of milk. It makes a paste just about right for stuffing. I dropped this by heaping teaspoonful on a baking sheet. Pictures to follow.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 10, 2012 01:24

Not worth the effort or the flour. Too bland.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 10, 2012 15:09

They look good. And I think that they may taste good but I am not sure what I was expecting. There is plenty of heat, perhaps a bit shy on salt but not that you would reach for a shaker. As sausage they seemed rather too tender. I ground through a 3/16 plate.
this is the biscuit mix. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 10, 2012 15:11

You square off at a hundred paces with sausage stuffers.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Sep 10, 2012 19:28

Oh yeah? Well, I'd better warn ya - - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFCTIIPuACM
(an ol' 78 RPM record from our misspent youth.)
YeeHaa! :!:

I whipped up a batch of the pork version, just to make sure. (Well, okay, I was out, and needed some for tomorrow morning breakfast.) The test didn't have time to diffuse all the good flavors and color, but it was reasonably close. Browned it, then scrambled it in eggs. A little salsa on top and ...seemed to taste okay, although it would have been better smoked.

I dunno, other than the chicken. Did you add chiles anchos, or was all the chile in your batch your own paprika? The batch in the picture didn't have much red color, not that it matters- - the flavor is what counts. US Postal Service hasn't forwarded my packet from you yet, so is probably holding it for us. We'll be there in about ten days, and I'll check it out then. I know it's good, and look forward to tasting. :mrgreen:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 10, 2012 21:19

I Had anchos and pacillos from the chilis that I milled last month. The stuff in the bowl is the mix with biscuits. The sausage is nice and bright with good color. I will try it with scrambled eggs.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Sep 11, 2012 00:10

This just in! The post office forwarded your chiles. :mrgreen: They smell great! I'll whip up another batch and try 'em out. :drool-smiley: Thanks a million!

Now, if we can just call off the DEA drug sniffing dogs. Those suspicious powders... :!:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 11, 2012 00:44

There are several trees on my place that produce sweepable quantities of pollen and many mushrooms shed piles of spores. Except that certain agencies don't have any sense of humor.....................................
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 04:15

Hey Ross,
Your "dumplings" don't look all that bad. Perhaps you should try deep frying a couple of them. If all else fails, use them for sling-shot ammunition - but not in the city limits! :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D