Polish "Herbal Pepper" For Sausage Making

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Polish "Herbal Pepper" For Sausage Making

Post by JerBear » Mon Sep 16, 2013 06:17

This topic was "split" from "White Sausage - Kielbasa Biala" on 091713@07:32 by CW, at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

I just ran across this recipe and I can't wait to try it out. Quick question, what's the difference between the pepper and herbal pepper?
Last edited by JerBear on Tue Sep 17, 2013 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Sep 16, 2013 07:25

Herbal pepper ("Pieprz Ziołowy" in Polish) is not a variety of pepper but rather a seasoning blend of herbs such as coriander, caraway, marjoram, white mustard, bay leaf, hot paprika, horseradish root, fenugreek and more. There are several brands of Pieprz Ziołowy marketed in Poland today and they differ in the herbal mix. Herbal pepper has a long history in Poland but it was widely used during the Communist era when there were extreme shortages of just about everything, and even more so of anything imported such as pepper. Today Pieprz Ziołowy is still a favorite of many as a seasoning for meats. Others also extoll its health benefits almost as a herbal medicine.

Hope this helps.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 16, 2013 14:37

The Marianskis briefly mention herbal pepper in their book. Unfortunately they make no mention of proportions.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Sep 16, 2013 15:28

ssorllih wrote:The Marianskis briefly mention herbal pepper in their book. Unfortunately they make no mention of proportions.
That is because they don't exist.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Sep 16, 2013 18:06

It's been some time since I last looked at the Marianski book but the herbal powder sounds very interesting. I think I'll try the recipe with the standard pepper and look around for a blend/ratio for the herbal version to try out. Thanks for your input everyone!

Edited: I just did a web search and found a ratio via Google Books in the Marianski book (page 76): Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes and Instructions.
Last edited by JerBear on Mon Sep 16, 2013 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 16, 2013 18:09

looky what I found!
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:57 [Spices] Herbal pepper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spices substitute were produced in order to replace more expensive and hardly available natural spices. Unfortunately quality and properties of substitutes, are not sufficiently similar to natural spices. Because of costs and availability, using spice substitutes was sometimes a must.
Comment. We speak here about 50's - to 80's.

Herbal pepper:

Natural pepper is commonly used for almost all meat products. The producers of pepper substitute were unsuccessfully trying to match the great taste of natural pepper, this was not possible even with most complex mixes. From many submissions, Central Board of Meat Industry, selected following spices mix as pepper substitute.

Coriander 26.6%
Carum 8.8 %
White mustard 17.6 %
Black mustard ( Brassica nigra ) 17.6 %
Black Onion Seeds 6.6 %
Horseradish ( dried ) 17.6%
Cayenne pepper 4.3%
Marjoram 0.9%

All ingredients are grind to obtain fine powder. The characteristic of the spice mix is quite strong taste and moderate smell. The attribute of this mix is, that when moisten does not form flock , and therefore is not visible in a final product. You should use herbal pepper to popular meat products.
Use it instead of natural pepper and always double the quantity.
Full flavor is fully perceptible after 48 hours. Once prepared, please keep in in well sealed container to keep all the aromas.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 16, 2013 18:12

Carum= caraway
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Sep 16, 2013 18:19

Thanks Ross!
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Sep 17, 2013 07:35

The blend in Siara's post is but one of many dozens out there. There is no one definitive "Herbal Pepper". You can compare it to the term "Steak Spice" used in North America, of which there are countless variations.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 17, 2013 14:41

We can use any of these formulations as a starting point but we do need a starting point. After that we adjust them according to our preferences.
Ross- tightwad home cook