[USA] Wild Boar Italian

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] Wild Boar Italian

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Jul 25, 2014 17:41

As it's been about 100° or better in my neck of the woods I was up at 4am this morning to get started on a 22lb batch of wild hog Italian sausage before things started heating up.

12 lbs wild pig meat
8 lbs domestic porkbutt
2 lbs pork backfat
PS Seasonings 260-B Italian sausage pack
20 cloves fresh garlic
I bottle cheap Merlot

I managed to get everything run thru the grinder and take a long ride in my meat mixer, then it was time to tidy everything up. By the time that was done the sun was out and I had to close the windows before the house started heating up. We keep the AC set to 75° in the summer heat so I'll delay stuffing until tomorrow morning when things are a bit cooler. RAY
Last edited by sawhorseray on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 23:23

Looks good, you can't beat game meat in any variation of sausage !
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 00:47

Looks fabulous Ray! Hey ol' pard, are you "deep-freezing" the meat to FSIS specs? I'm just being the Sausage Safety Sheriff 'round these parts! Making sure everyone stays healthy. :wink: Everyone needs to remember that simple freezing does NOT destroy trichinella spiralis.

In North America, there are five known species of Trichinella. They are Trichinella spiralis, T. nativa, T. pseudospiralis, Trichinella T-5, and Trichinella T-6. The one we deal with most often in pork is trichinella spiralis. The other four occur mostly in game animals. Species T-5 is found mostly in bears and other wildlife in the eastern United States, while species T-6 is mostly in bears and other wildlife in the Northwestern United States. Species T. nativa is found in Alaska. Both T. nativa and Trichinella T-6 are resistant to freezing. Trichinella pseudospiralis has been reported infrequently from birds, but can infect pigs also.

You would be surprised at just how many people believe that simple freezing will destroy trichinella spiralis. Actually, the majority of people believe it, and that frightens me. I often think of the folks who shoot javelinas and think simply freezing the carcass will take care of trichinella spiralis. It absolutely will not! In fact, The Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Medicine, at Massachusetts General Hospital has concluded that "Smoking, salting, or drying meat are not reliable methods of killing the organism that causes this infection". Further, "Only freezing at subzero temperatures (Fahrenheit) for 3 to 4 weeks will kill the organism". If folks ever gazed into a microscope and saw the round nematode worm embedded far into human muscle tissue, they would surely think twice about proper sub-zero temperatures. The first time I saw the living microorganism beneath the microscope, I thought I'd lose my lunch! The thing that alarms me is that most people do not have the means of freezing meat at these cryogenic temperatures - so, they take the chance. Yet, if the pork has come from a reliable grocer rather than an "independent small farmer", you will be pretty much safe. If you are dealing with the "wild" boar pig, please... please... follow the FSIS rules for "sub-zero" curing. Go to this link and scroll down: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4808

Here is the ugly truth: Trichinella cysts break open in the intestines and grow into adult roundworms whenever a person eats meat from an infected animal. These roundworms produce other worms that move through the stomach wall and into the bloodstream. From here, the organisms tend to invade muscle tissues, including the heart and diaphragm, lungs and brain. At this point, trichinosis becomes most painful. There are an estimated 11 million people world-wide affected by trichinellosis and an estimated 10,000 new cases occur each year. :shock:

But we can get rid of the infection right? Wrong! The medications Mebendazole or albendazole may be used to treat infections in the intestines, although once the larvae have invaded the muscles, there is no specific treatment for trichinosis and the cysts remain viable for years. This is the reason I am so adamant about climbing on everyone's case! I'm a real pain in the butt and I've actually found that folks don't want to hear the truth. If they don't hear it, then will probably go away eh? I would just feel terrible if I didn't warn folks about this disease. Please, please, please... everyone - Read the FSIS specifications and drop the temperature to well below zero for the prescribed time period if you are making raw, fermented sausage. On the other hand, trichinella spiralis can also be destroyed by heat in proper cooking procedures.

Although the FSIS has done much to eradicate the disease by enforcing modified laws, especially after the mid 1970`s, there yet remain about 40 cases of trichinosis each year in the U.S. alone. Complications of the disease include encephalitis, heart arrhythmias, myocarditis, (inflammation), and complete heart failure. Pneumonia is also a common complication.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Jul 26, 2014 14:33

Chuckwagon wrote:...I'm just being the Sausage Safety Sheriff ... I'm a real pain in the butt...
Chuckwagon
Yes, folks, an infection by C.Wagonis can be painful, indeed... But he's not only right, he's... Uh... the Moderator. ...so pay attention. ...seriously. This guy knows of what he speaks. Anybody who can brave the infectious dangers of a mustache like his and still survive... Plus, that microbiology background really helps.

What's the best way to freeze your game meat? I would guess a local game processing facility. If you're "out there" where game can be encountered and taken, a facility should be available within a reasonable distance or en route.

...any advice to share? ...any other options? (Is dry ice an option?)
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jul 26, 2014 15:15

Thanks CW, you got me hep to that a couple years back and I took note. Both my garage upright freezers test right at 0°F. When I bring a wild hog home to process I cut out the hams and immediately get them brining for the smoker. All the rest of the meat is deboned and cubed, shrink-wrapped in six pound packs, and goes into the freezer for a month before being ground for sausage.

Last night at ten I opened the windows, got my stuffer tank out of the freezer, and got on with wrapping this project up. I'm pretty much set on seven inch link these days.

By 1 am I was all shrink-wrapped and had all my equipment cleaned and put away.

I fired up the weber at tossed on four of the links thinking I'd sample one and save the others for a nice pizza. They came off absolutely delicious and my wife and I gobbled them all down in short order. Next up, 15 pounds of hipshot burgers! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 19:50

Lookin' good, Ray! Just like your SF Giants :wink: Top of the NL(W) @ 57/46. How did you get Tim Linsicum to cut his hair! :lol:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sun Jul 27, 2014 09:45

Heysawhorseray,

Good looking sausage!

Because of the freeze resistance shown by sylvatic species of Trichinella, freezing of meat from wild game is not uniformly reliable.

Cooking to safe tempperature is the recommended method of destroying Trichinella in wild game.
Godspeed!

Bob
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Jul 27, 2014 15:19

Thanks for that Bob! Over the years I've come to cook my sausage on my weber kettle 95% of the time. Red hot coals and four minutes a side for either the pork or chicken sausage I make seems to come out perfect every time, cooked thru and still juicy. The last time I tested for doneness a few year back I think they were in the 175° - 180° range. Hipshot burgers are a different story, we like those a bit more on the rare side of life. I've never tested the temp on the hipshot burgers I make but as I'm pounding out a 15lb. batch later this morning I'll try to remember to insert the digital meat thermometer on my lunchtime sampler. RAY