Halusia's Kabanosy

redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Aug 09, 2014 15:03

cogboy wrote:My sheep casing have arrived and I'm just waiting for the new smoker to try these!
cogboy, before you get the meat ready for the kabanosy, make sure you have a narrow gage stuffer funnel for the sheep casings. They don't usually come with the stuffer.
Shuswap wrote:Another inspirational thread Red :!: I like the way the recipe and process is presented over a straight-jacket formatted approach. Bookmarked for another one to make (without the curing chamber). I've learned not to just copy a recipe but rather to keep track of the whole thread because there is almost always something to know as the thread progresses.
Once you make these, you be hooked. Crack cocaine of sausage. :lol:
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 01:19

Redzed the Kabanosy looks absolutly beautiful! Great colour & texture. :wink:
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Aug 25, 2014 19:00

Thanks Darwin, That batch of kabanosy was the best I ever made and it vanished quickly. Time to make some more!
BTW, I have collected a few suggestions about the gypsy sausage and have become intrigued about it myself. At the moment I'm trying to find out the process of achieving that black finish on the sausage. Apparently it's done by either painting the casings with blood or a mixture of spices while smoking.
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 21:53

I was looking at sheep and the edible collagen casings a few minutes ago for a similar project. I remember sheep being very delicate and a PITA, collagen does not sound appetizing... Still too hot here for any cold smoking, but I am getting anxious to do some.

I did a bit more research on the Gypsy sausage and I have come up empty.
This is the closest photo to what I had, looks alot like the weselna.
http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/po ... asa.01.htm
http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/po ... elbasa.htm
huckelberry
User
User

Gypsy sausage

Post by huckelberry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:24

I just thought I might chime in here about the gypsy sausage and suggest that it's not spices or blood on the casings. I've had this sausage once before from a Russian deli in Houston and it is delicious.
I would rather think it would be from the type of smoke used.
If you've ever seen some andouille sausage it is very dark, and that is simply because, besides hard wood, some people use a little of the sugarcane grown in the area to smoke with. This in turn gives the sausage a very dark color.
As I have never made nor do I have a recipe for this type of sausage I am only theorizing.
Hopefully someone who has a recipe and some experience with this sausage will enlighten us
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 23, 2016 18:15

This past Sunday I made another batch of kabanosy. Needed something to snack on for an upcoming beach holiday. Followed the recipe at the beginning of this thread almost entirely but had only some lean pork from the sirloin section of the loin and some fatty trimmings. Would have been nice to have had some jowl or side pork. Nevertheless, the sticks turned out very well and I had to pack them away as they are the crack cocaine of sausages, you just can't say no each time you pass by them as they are drying. :lol:

But all did no go well in the process of making the kabanosy. I ordered a hank of sheep casings from China and ended up with the narrowest diameter casings I have ever worked with. With certainty I can say they are no more than 16mm The casings are ultra thin, almost thread like and fragile, and I had a heck of a time in untangling them and suffered in finding a way to flush them. And when it came to stuffing, it was enough to make and old man cry :cry: Using a 10mm stuffing horn which is about the same thckness as a pencil,I managed to load the casing onto the horn, but when it came to stuffing, it was a long and arduous undertaking. Took me the entire afternoon, and I missed a football game! :sad: My arm and shoulder is still sore from pushing the meat through and it was impossible to crank out nice and evenly filled sausages. I either under filled them or stuffed them too tightly and had continuous blow outs. Sheep casings make the best kabanosy, but I was ready to almost toss them and pull out the collagen! In the future I will not order sheep casings smaller than 22mm.

Made from a bit of leftover Kabanosy meat.