Beef Sausage Texture

spud
User
User

Beef Sausage Texture

Post by spud » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:49

Was in a hurry for some Sausage so picked up a 2kg pack of beef mince. Packet was labelled 17% fat. I treated it like was making Pork Breakfast and left all fancy spices out, just the usual spice blend. Did the primary bind to sticky. Not thinking was to over done as was 5 min approx. with hands. Trouble started at tasting stage.

Sausage texture is not dry or crumbly (added 250 mil cold water and pork trim) but is sort of spongy like, doesn't stay together after first bit in mouth. Think my problem is I like firm texture. Haven't as yet stuffed these as hoping I can for want of a better word "stiffen " then up.
Thought of corn starch, more fat, oats, grd rice, NF milk powder. ???
Just looking for some experienced Stuffers to pass on some wisdom as I'm sure this has happened before.

Just thought of soy protein concentrate ???

Any help appreciated.
Cheers Spud
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 05, 2014 14:21

Spud-
In am not sure how to help you but it would be of help to others if you include how much pork trim you added.

I have mixed venison 50/50 with pork shoulder for sausage, and it wasn't too bad...but I would add more pork if I made it again.
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Fri Dec 05, 2014 23:15

Morning - added 450gr pork trim
Spud
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sat Dec 06, 2014 02:07

I have never had this issue. What about a little powdered milk to act as a binder and retain some moisture when being cooked? Others may have comments on this.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime