Wild boar sausages

redzed

Wild boar sausages

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 04, 2015 05:58

With the wild boar meat I acquired last fall, I made a Polish style smoked/poached sausage and a fresh Italian sausage. The Italian sausage is 50% boar and 50% pork. The Polish sausage was a meat combination of 2.5kg lean boar from leg (ham), 1.5 boar belly (very fat), 1.5 kg lean pork butt, 1kg fat pork butt and 1kg lean beef.

Wild boar Italian

Wild boar Polish
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 05, 2015 18:16

Wow Chris-
Your smoked sausages always look like they are smoked and cooked to perfection :mrgreen:

Did the wild boar addition make any difference in the taste and/or texture?
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 18:52

Thanks Bob. This wild boar was farm raised and therefore not that "wild", so there is absolutely no gamey flavour. There was also a heck of a lot of fat on her. I was going to make bacon from the belly, but there was almost no meat in it. But it's nice white fat and I will use it with other sausages. I suppose I could have used a higher proportion of boar meat, but I was afraid that it would have a stronger flavour. No real difference in texture, there is actually a lot of fat in the sausage, but I disguised it by grinding the fat boar and pork fat through a 4.5mm plate and the leaner through a 10mm. Added lots of garlic, some marjoram and a bit of thyme, and the flavour is excellent, in fact it has a sweetness to it, even though no sugar was added. Won't last long!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 05, 2015 19:13

redzed wrote: I was going to make bacon from the belly, but there was almost no meat in it.
A spreadable liverwurst may be in order!!!!
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jul 03, 2015 15:13

I used up the rest of the boar meat I had in the freezer, and made 10kg of a Polish style sausage, 60% pork and 40% boar. Seasoned with mixed peppercorns, garlic, marjoram, coriander, juniper and a pinch of nutmeg. Flavour excellent, but the texture was a bit too crumbly, and I'm not sure why.

Had 26 people over for a Canada Day party a couple of days ago and served it warmed up on a grill along with fresh Italian, Argentinian chorizo and weisswurst. The guests vacuumed up the sausages and no one mentioned the word "texture". :lol:

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:39

That Polish style sausage looks totally perfect Chris, no wonder your guests vacuumed everything!

I fired up my charcoal grill yesterday and browned some Polish from my last batch that I linked to 5". Perfect bun length and hmmm so good!
Ron
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jul 05, 2015 17:11

Looks terrific