Excellent Turkey and Pork Sausage

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Turkey and Pork sausage

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 19:53

Wow, looks great!!! Chris. The only turkey meat I can buy here at the moment is packed and ready ground. I 'm rather upset as I'm dying to make them.
Any advise in regard to using ground turkey breast mince?
Cheers.
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 12, 2015 07:31

Too bad Jan, turkeys here were on sale last week for 87 cents per lb. Compared with the rising price of other meat that is a bargain, so bought 5! Boned one out for the sausage, brined and roasted one for a Thanksgiving dinner for 10 today, and will play the rest in the next couple of months. I get more than 50% meat when I bone one bird out so it is cheap meat in this day and age. And as to your question, I see no reason why this sausage would not work with already minced turkey. Just make sure that you have some nice lean prk that is coarsely minced in the mix. Everyone today loved this sausage. Most thought that it was a lean and healthy sausage. My time these days is occupied with crushing and pressing grapes. So far have started a syrah (aka shiraz downunder :lol:) and a pinot gris. Have two more varieties coming.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 09:12

Turkeys are never cheap here but the breast mince is. I always mince my own meats, at least I know what goes in the sausage. Thanks for the advise.
Wine making is no longer on my work schedule. Wine is cheaper here than these rotten soft drinks. Mind you, I made some good stuff many years ago as I lived in a wine growing region.
I made Grappa as well then. This actually started off my Moonshining hobby which I still do.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Oct 12, 2015 16:12

As usual you sausages always look great Chris!

Pork and Beef prices have plummeted around here in the past few weeks so I will be sticking to meat from my four legged friends. :mrgreen:

Bottom round and sirloin 2.99 lb, pork loins 1.59lb, and boston butts for 1.39lb all on sale this week!
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Oct 17, 2015 14:49

Hey Redzed you have inspired me with those beautiful turkey sausages. I'm going to try them out with chicken. My daughter and I have been making room for new chickens in her coop, and the hold hens we are processing are stacking up in the freezer. They are tough, but have great flavor. I made my first chicken sausage (half chicken, half pork + back fat) not long ago, and they were a big hit. But that spice blend you used looks a lot more compelling than what I used.

Do you have any advice for using chicken vs. turkey, or can they be treated the same? Do you add more or less water to the mince than when using all pork? I just added water till the mix felt right, but I am curious.

Cheers,
Jeff
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 17, 2015 16:04

I don't see why you can't create a good sausage using this recipe and chicken. Go ahead, experiment and make a small batch. The taste of course will be different than with turkey as the latter usually has a more pronounced and distinctive flavour than chicken which is milder tasting. And as you already know, boning out chickens is a heck of a lot of work. :shock: :grin: As to how much water, you can use the standard 100ml per kg (1 cup per 5lbs), but like you, I usually base that on the meat and add more or less as I mix. And I have never made smoked sausage using chicken meat, only fresh. If your pork and chicken combination is lean you could add a bit more water and a small amount of soy or dry milk milk powder. It will help in binding the meats and result in a more moist product.

I look forward to seeing your results! Looks like you have a busy Saturday lined up. I'm off to another grape pressing. Our club has the last batch of grapes arriving this morning. Over 15,000 lbs. I'm only getting 200lbs from this shipment but have to help all day. :neutral:
redzed

Grandpa's pork and turkey sausage

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 10, 2017 19:18

This past weekend I made another batch of "Grandpa's pork and turkey sausage" from the recipe in Marianski and Gebarowski's book Polish Sausages, p.260. I adjusted the recipe slightly, used only 35% turkey rather than 50%, and added 4g/kg corn syrup solids instead of 3g sugar. Didn't add any binders. Turned out great, and this sausage continues to be a favourite among my family and friends. A portion of it was auctioned off at a fundraiser for a winemaking club I belong to.

Recipe for 1kg. meat

Meats
Pork trimmings, approx. 25% fat, 650g
Meat from whole turkey, very little fat and no skin, 350g

Ingredients
Salt, 18g
Cure #1, 2g
Black pepper, 3g
Yellow mustard seeds, ground, 2g
Coriander, ground 1g
Caraway, ground 1g
Marjoram, 1g
Garlic, fresh 3g
Corn syrup solids 4g.
Water 50ml
Hog casings, 32mm

Instructions
1. Cut the turkey and pork meat meat into 3cm cubes, keeping the lean meat and the meat with connective tissue and fat separate.
2. Add the #1 and salt to the two containers of cubed meat, mix well, pack down, cover or enclose and refrigerate for 48 hours.
3. Grind the meat with fat and connective tissue through the 4.5mm plate and the lean through the 10mm.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well until very sticky, but at the same time keeping the farce cold.
5. Stuff into hog casings and allow to set overnight at a temp of 8C or less or two hours at room temp. Make sure that the casings are dry before loading into the smoker.
6. Load into smoker and with the dampers fully open warm/dry sausage at 45C. After an hour, smoke sausage for 3hours at 57-60C. Rotate the sausage at least once during the smoking so that it takes on colour evenly. I used a mixture of hickory and alder on this batch.
7. Poach sausage at 75C until IT of 72C. Make sure the water for poaching is preheated. The process should take about 20 minutes but longer time is better than shorter. The reason we take the internal temp here to a higher temp is because of the poultry content.
8. Remove sausage from the poacher and immediately cool with a cold water spray, or dunk into ice cold water for a few minutes. Cool sausage to a temp slightly warmer than room temp so that it can bloom properly and not result in tough casings.
9. Hang sausage at room temp for 3 hours and refrigerate overnight without any plastic bagging.

Last edited by redzed on Fri Mar 10, 2017 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Mar 10, 2017 20:19

Those look great.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Mar 25, 2017 15:31

Remove sausage from the poacher and immediately cool with a cold water spray, or dunk into ice cold water for a few minutes. Cool sausage to a temp slightly warmer than room temp so that it can bloom properly and not result in tough casings.
Redzed, could you elaborate on the tough casings? I've seen where a lot of people run into this with smoked sausages where the casing is tough and chewy - I know I have in the past. In the last few years I've had much less of this but occasionally it still happens. I just blew this off as a casing issue but I'm not so sure anymore because it seems to happen more often when I rush my process and I am now beginning to believe it has more to do with allowing the casing time to dry which you touch on in this sentence. Do you have any thoughts on this you could share?