Spicy Beef Sticks

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Spicy Beef Sticks

Post by Devo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 03:32

Ingredients:

10 Pound Recipe
10 pound lean burger (85/15) or venison (If using venison, add 10-15% beef or pork fat.)
2 tsp Instacure #1 (aka Pink salt; Prague Powder #1; Modern Cure #1; T.C.M.)
1 Tbsp Black pepper
1 Tbsp Red chili pepper (I used chipotle)
1 Tbsp Garlic salt
1 Tbsp Accent (optional)
2 tsp Cayenne pepper (add more for additional heat)
1 tsp Paprika
1-1/2 Tbsp Crushed red pepper (I ran thru spice mill just a little to break up seeds)

1 Cup water
6 Tbsp Salt
1-1/2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Hot sauce (I used Franks Xhot)

2 Tbsp encapsulated citric acid (optional)
Sheep or collagen casings 17 - 19mm

This is Michelangelo my helper today. He don't say much but is always smiling

redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 01, 2016 06:32

Nice job Don! Good to see that you pulled out the grinder and stuffer, and better yet, you are still able to afford beef. :grin: I don't even venture into the beef section at the store any longer. :shock: :shock: Is this one of your old recipes or something new?
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Mon Feb 01, 2016 06:37

Those look tastey!!!
udaman
Beginner
Beginner

Post by udaman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 01:14

those look great Devo.. i also live in ontario. i went the local butcher and asked for cure ,, they sold me me cbs perfekt pickle cure...i would like to make beef sticks will this work for the praque #1.? the label says o use 1 oz per 10lbs of meat. it contains 6.4%nitrate 92.5% salt..
thx
this will be my first attempt at cold smoking . i have smoked meat and made fresh sausages.
udaman
Beginner
Beginner

Post by udaman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 01:19

oops its says 1oz per 20lbs of meat
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Feb 04, 2016 16:31

Those look great!

Speaking of hot sauces, if you like spicy stuff and haven't tried the sauce made from the Carolina Reaper pepper you should give it a try. Its very potent and just takes a tiny bit to season a lot but the background flavor of this pepper sauce is outstanding.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 04, 2016 17:37

udaman-

Does it say nitrate or nitrite on the label?
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Feb 05, 2016 02:08

udaman wrote:those look great Devo.. i also live in ontario. i went the local butcher and asked for cure ,, they sold me me cbs perfekt pickle cure...i would like to make beef sticks will this work for the praque #1.? the label says o use 1 oz per 10lbs of meat. it contains 6.4%nitrate 92.5% salt..
thx
this will be my first attempt at cold smoking . i have smoked meat and made fresh sausages.
I have no idea what that stuff is. I would look for insta#1 or Prague Powder NO.1.
Prague Powder NO.1 can be found here: http://www.stuffers.com/prague-powder-p/rcuprague1.htm
Good company to deal with, just sucks for shipping anywhere in Canada. Wish I could find a company with free shipping, but than I would haved won the lottery. :)
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 15:45

Butterbean wrote:Those look great!

Speaking of hot sauces, if you like spicy stuff and haven't tried the sauce made from the Carolina Reaper pepper you should give it a try. Its very potent and just takes a tiny bit to season a lot but the background flavor of this pepper sauce is outstanding.
LOL well I like hot but my ulcers can't take the hot stuff anymore.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Feb 06, 2016 16:50

Devo wrote:
Butterbean wrote:Those look great!

LOL well I like hot but my ulcers can't take the hot stuff anymore.
I know what you mean but used judiciously this pepper lends the most terrific background flavor to a dish. Where your recipe called for a tablespoon you might only use three drops of this sauce for the same heat equivalent. The difference is will be sensitizing other areas of your mouth and the residual flavor is indescribably good.

I had offered a bottle to a foodie friend of mine who declined saying he didn't like spicy foods. A few weeks later we were on a hunting trip and we made some Chislic and I added a couple drops to his sauce and he was hooked and asked if the offer was still good. The sauce is rich in umami and accentuates the other flavors somehow. True, its hotter than anything on the market but its not the heat I find intriguing but the flavor of the pepper.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 18:19

Sounds interesting for sure. A buddy of mine came back from Mexico with a bunch of different hot sauces a few years back. They where really good and I ran out a while back so I picked up a bottle of this stuff from the super store here in town. It has a really nice flavour also.

Actually the recipe is very mild for heat and when I go to make more I will be kicking it up a bit more. :wink:

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Feb 06, 2016 22:27

Good stuff that. I like the bonnets and even grow a few to make sauces and stuff. Some argue they are the same as the habanero but I find the bonnet lends a sweet undertone where the habanero has a musky aftertaste I don't particularly care for. The reaper has a floral tone to it which I particularly find appealing.

I find peppers interesting ingredients to use in cuisine. Take black pepper, it tends to hit the tip of your tongue whereas white pepper the roof of your mouth and red pepper your throat. Understanding these attributes lead me to create a sauce whose name plays on the the old saying about hades having no fury like a woman scorned. This sauce is a compilation of peppers and when it first meets your lips it is sweet as can be only to reveal her fires later as she begins to burn every region of your mouth only to finally leave through the tip of your tongue and the resulting stimulation of dopamines and endorphins dulls your memory and leaves you wanting for more.

If you can imagine a pepper that hits all these areas at once, intensifies accompanied spices while leaving a floral undertone then you have envisioned the reaper. Its beautiful when used judiciously. When not, it can be used for some very dirty tricks and some good laughs because its 300 times hotter than a jalapeno.

Here is an ounce of pure concentrated reaper capsicum collected via centrifuge. I don't think I'd be stretching it to say this vile has enough pure capsicum in it to make a hundred or so gallons of chili inedible. Surely not for the table but for cancer research. Apparently the capsicum will bind with certain cancer cells and in response the cancer cell will kill itself. Also, the capsicum makes your body release endorphin and dopamine as does a narcotic which peaks my curiosity as to whether or not Redzed should add some to his next batch of cannibas salami. lol

If you get the opportunity to try some I would. A small bottle will last you a long time and it does have a wonderful flavor when used sparingly.

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 23:34

OK now you have perked my curiosity. Where would a fellow get that on line? I know where Red gets his shit from and BC bud is the best :mrgreen:
but I need your dealers name LOL
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Feb 07, 2016 01:02

Here is the homepage. If there is a problem shipping to Canada let me know and I'll see what I can do. The Reaper Squeezins would be my suggestion. The sticker shock is bad but it only takes a drop so one bottle should last a year or two.

http://store.puckerbuttpeppercompany.co ... est-pepper
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 01:41

Well that was expensive, not the product but shipping. Bought a couple of things just to make shipping worth while.
If I survive the taste test when they arrive I will let you know and Redzed I hope you still have my address for that order LOL