Natural Hog Casing Supply Problems in Malaysia

Mattkerr

Natural Hog Casing Supply Problems in Malaysia

Post by Mattkerr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 05:17

Hi,

I have been reading through this forum and am greatly impressed by how helpful and friendly you guys seem.

My wife started making sausages from home a few months ago as a personal hobby which has snowballed in a matter of months to what will hopefully before a very good home business.

One major issue we have though is getting natural hog casing locally here in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. To date we have been buying from www.sausagemaking.org and while they are good and reliable they are pricey and not really viable considering we will likely need about 100-300m per week soon.

If anyone can help in any way or has suggestions we would be very grateful!

Looking forward to getting stuck into the community and giving something back as we get more experience!

Matt & Nova
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 14, 2016 07:20

Hey Matt and Nova! Thanks for joining us! We are here to help in any way we can.

Strange that you have difficulty in sourcing natural hog casings. And by "natural" do you mean salted or dried? A very large proportion of hog casings that we use in North America are imported from China, so you are much closer to source tha we are. Kuala Lumpur is quite a cosmopolitan centre so I would have assumed that it would not be hard to find casings. Have you asked any of the Chinese meat store owners where they get casings? There are also Chinese sellers on AliExpress who offer free shipping.

One of our members Thewitt, is from Penang and he also started a sausage business there. He hasn't been around here for a while, so send him PM and I'm sure he'll be able to advise you.

What type(s) of sausage are you making? And give us an update of how the business unfolds.

Best wishes,
redzed
Mattkerr

Post by Mattkerr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 07:34

Hi Redzed,

Sorry salted casing is what we are using at the moment.

I have asked about 15 butchers and meat suppliers here and they all say no. Most of them also seem to use collagen casing.

I have seen suppliers on ali express but generally they either don't respond to info requests or they want us to order enormous amounts.

I dropped a pm to TheWitt last night so hoping to hear back soon.

We are currently making Lincolnshire, Bratwurst, Itailian, Spicy Italian and my wife's own Indonesian inspired Chilli sausage with Batak black pepper. We also sell scotch eggs and sausage rolls. All things pork! :) We do a basil chicken sausage as well but get very few requests for that.
Huzzah4

Hello from Malaysia

Post by Huzzah4 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 04:43

Im from Malaysia too, and yes its almost impossible to get any sort of casings here. I've managed to get some sample collagen casings from a supplier in China (aliexpress), still testing them out.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Sep 06, 2016 08:11

To me that looks like a great opportunity to establish a business selling casings and an sausage supplies in Malaysia! :lol: