Potential Major screw up Help Needed!!

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Potential Major screw up Help Needed!!

Post by fatboyz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 16:17

Well I did a real boner!! Making the cold smoked polish I added surface mold to the meat block instead of starter culture!!!! I'm not sure what to do? I added some starter culture and am going to stuff it anyway. Do I throw it out? smoke it without fermenting and freeze it or continue as normal. The dang packages are the same and just Dang!!!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jan 08, 2017 16:40

I wouldn't worry about it. Mold needs air to grow and even if it could grow inside the sausage it wouldn't be harmful. With all the mold I have in my kitchen I'm sure all of my mince is well inoculated anyhow.

I'd just go on and make up some more and apply to the outside and you should be golden.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 17:09

woo, that's good to here! I'll just ferment and cold smoke as planned! :mrgreen:
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Mon Jan 09, 2017 05:18

Which is another reason I hate that Butchers and Packers Cure #2 is white instead of pink. That drives me nuts. Looks like dextrose. LOL
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 15:07

Lou, I wish the cure was pink, like "pink salt" These starter and surface cultures were in the exact same color and type of envelope. I had them both folded over and clipped my quick look I read "starter" not "surface".I'm glad I didn't have to throw it away. I hate wasting good pork and deer meat!