First Post Bierwurst

Cdub
Beginner
Beginner

First Post Bierwurst

Post by Cdub » Tue Jan 31, 2017 05:46

First post so i here is my latest attempt at a delli style sausage.I followed the recipe noted on the site here for bier wurst. I used a mix of beef and pork with a good fat content. I did not add any extra fat which i was questioning myself at the time?? The only change in the process was i used soy protein instead of dry milk and i did the final finish in 170deg water to get to 152f.
the sausage tastes good and tastes just like beer sausage i can buy. The difference is that it is dry and not moist, almost like it had been smeared or over heated. My smoker was monitored the whole process and my smokies and pepperoni always turn out. The meat was ground in a frozen grinder and the meat was semi frozen(soft). I havent tried making this type of sausage in many years as i had a similar issue previous buy way worse(blamed it on lack of experience and proper equipment, hand grinder and using the stuffer attachment) The 5lbs of meat was ground in only a couple of minutes and immediately goes back in freezer so to keep near freezing at all times.
I would post pictures but i am having no luck doing so ( Use forum link.click black box to right of photo on image shack)
https://imageshack.com/i/pn1mD3psj
Last edited by Cdub on Tue Jan 31, 2017 13:01, edited 2 times in total.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 06:38

The Bierwurst I make is an emulsified sausage like bologna. You need a silent cutter, also known as a bowl chopper to emulsify the meat.
Cdub
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cdub » Tue Jan 31, 2017 06:55

I have made frankfurters using the food processor and they turned out nicely and the texture was just like a good quality hot dog if that exists.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jan 31, 2017 13:12

Just to help others figure this out is this the recipe you used? : http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... =bierwurst

You could also try the meat/fat %'s in this Bierwurst recipe which would make it a bit juicier. Just grind the fat with the pork.

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... -bierwurst
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Jan 31, 2017 16:51

If it has a mealy grainy mouth feel then I know what you are talking about. I've done the same. Emulsions can be challenging.

Since you added a binder you did add water didn't you?

If so, it sounds like you didn't get a good emulsion. If you look at Bob's second link it basically shows how bierwurst is not a true emulsion but ground sausage suspended in an emulsion so you need to start with the emulsion first and this is where I think you may have gone wrong.

Since redder meats can hold more water this is the meat of choice to make the emulsion so like the recipe says you start here and concentrate on this and when you have it made you add this emulsion to the ground pork.

In doing the emulsion you did right by cutting it when its cold because you want the meat particles cut as small as possible but once this is done you need to put your efforts to combining the fat with these meat particles and this is best done at higher temps starting at 40F and not exceeding 58F or the emulsion will break. This is one of the reasons a bowl chopper works well because as it continuously cuts the meat it also warms it allowing for this union of proteins and fat which will yield a silky smooth texture but you can make them with a grinder but you need to keep the temps in mind and be sure to add about 10% ice to the beef along with the salt as you begin to grind but when the temp increases to around 40F add your binder and grind till it becomes fluffy or spongy looking.

I think when you get to this point and you add this to your other ground meats you will find a big difference. I think you could also hold off on your last grind of your pork so you can add this emulsion with the ground pork and give it that final grind to be sure everything is mixed well. That's probably how I'd do it.

Hope this helps.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 31, 2017 17:29

Cdub, to begin with, the sausage looks great! Like BB stated you might not have used enough water, especially if you added soy protein powder. And did you grind only once? A bit more fat also could make the the sausage softer and improve the mouthfeel.
Cdub
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cdub » Tue Jan 31, 2017 23:40

Bob K wrote:Just to help others figure this out is this the recipe you used? : http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... =bierwurst

Yes this is the recipe i followed.

You could also try the meat/fat %'s in this Bierwurst recipe which would make it a bit juicier. Just grind the fat with the pork.

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... -bierwurst
Last edited by Cdub on Tue Jan 31, 2017 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
Cdub
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cdub » Tue Jan 31, 2017 23:43

I used 1 lb of ice water. I ground twice through a 1/4 inch as I dont have a 3/16.
I fried up a small bit of waste and it had nice texture and seemed like not bad fat level at the time
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Feb 01, 2017 01:46

Cdub wrote:I used 1 lb of ice water. I ground twice through a 1/4 inch as I dont have a 3/16.
I fried up a small bit of waste and it had nice texture and seemed like not bad fat level at the time
I think if you would split the meats and treat the emulsion part separately and allow it to come to a warmer temp - maybe grinding it three maybe even four times then adding this to the once ground pork then grind all one last time you may see a difference.

Also, for what its worth, I've had more similar failures using soy protein than I have using milk powder but this could just be a coincidence.
Cdub
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cdub » Wed Feb 01, 2017 03:00

I will have to find a supplier for the dry milk as the supplier I use doesn't carry it from what I can see.
I have never done emulsification mixed and had only done it with a food processor for franks. I had found that re grinding and re grinding can smear in the grinder when I hit the 1/8 plate.
Cdub
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cdub » Wed Feb 01, 2017 04:24

I still cant get photos to load. If i click on browse it opens up my file directory to photos then when i click send i go to my imageshack, but cant get it to upload to my post.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/768x4 ... 83jfZn.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/768x4 ... GWUlWY.jpg
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Feb 01, 2017 05:14

Cdub wrote:I will have to find a supplier for the dry milk as the supplier I use doesn't carry it from what I can see.
I have never done emulsification mixed and had only done it with a food processor for franks. I had found that re grinding and re grinding can smear in the grinder when I hit the 1/8 plate.
Grocery store should have powdered milk.

Your plate may not be flush or your knife may not be sharp. Does your plate show any signs of uneven wear?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Feb 01, 2017 05:18

If you will copy the http address of your photo in imageshack then pres the button on the top of the post box here that says Img a little box will come up then paste your image link in this box and it will come up like this.

Cdub
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cdub » Wed Feb 01, 2017 05:25

The grinder is barely used but I was polishing the plates and blades this weekend on a plate of glass down to 1200 grit
Thanks for loading the pics
Cdub
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cdub » Wed Feb 01, 2017 06:04

I always thought the powdered milk used in sausage was different than the store bought powdered milk. My mistake for over thinking.