Scott Rea: Complete Sausage Making Masterclass, Step By Step

Post Reply
User avatar
redzed
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3184
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 06:29
Location: Vancouver Island

Scott Rea: Complete Sausage Making Masterclass, Step By Step

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 23, 2017 19:01

Here is a new video by Scott Rea The Complete Sausage Making Masterclass, Step By Step. 25 minutes long and useful to the beginner and interesting to the more experienced. Your assignment today is to watch the entire episode.Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqFrbXISZTY
User avatar
Butterbean
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 04:10
Location: South Georgia

Post by Butterbean » Thu Mar 23, 2017 20:22

Will there be a test? :mrgreen:

He does a good job teaching and really seems to have the passion. Is rusk used much elsewhere or is that a UK thing?
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 15:28
Location: Fulshear, TX

Post by Sleebus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 20:31

Rusk seems to be a UK thing from what I can tell. To this Texas boy, the results of adding it to sausage are gross. If you like a pasty, mealy sausage that never firms when you cook it, go for it. Yuk.

Source: Lived in West Byfleet for 3 years.
User avatar
redzed
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3184
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 06:29
Location: Vancouver Island

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 27, 2017 19:33

Here is another one of Scott's lessons, an apple cider sausage. And it's British, so it does contain rusk. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTBW-6-b60M
Fusion5567
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 02:20
Location: California

Post by Fusion5567 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 04:17

Butterbean wrote:Will there be a test? :mrgreen:

He does a good job teaching and really seems to have the passion. Is rusk used much elsewhere or is that a UK thing?
Yes its a UK thing, its probably the reason im now making Sausage as im in USA and couldnt find any Sausage that tasted like my Homeland Sausage.
I have found a recipe or 2 and they all have Rusk.
User avatar
Butterbean
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 04:10
Location: South Georgia

Post by Butterbean » Wed Mar 29, 2017 15:34

Fusion5567 wrote:
Butterbean wrote:Will there be a test? :mrgreen:

He does a good job teaching and really seems to have the passion. Is rusk used much elsewhere or is that a UK thing?
Yes its a UK thing, its probably the reason im now making Sausage as im in USA and couldnt find any Sausage that tasted like my Homeland Sausage.
I have found a recipe or 2 and they all have Rusk.
What do you use for the rusk here? Do you make your own or do you buy it?
Fusion5567
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 02:20
Location: California

Post by Fusion5567 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 23:35

Butterbean wrote:
Fusion5567 wrote:
Butterbean wrote:Will there be a test? :mrgreen:

He does a good job teaching and really seems to have the passion. Is rusk used much elsewhere or is that a UK thing?
Yes its a UK thing, its probably the reason im now making Sausage as im in USA and couldnt find any Sausage that tasted like my Homeland Sausage.
I have found a recipe or 2 and they all have Rusk.
What do you use for the rusk here? Do you make your own or do you buy it?
My daughter brought me my first batch from UK, iv now made 3 batches and they turn out quite similar to the bought one.

Rusk Recipe

Ingredients
● 1 lb (450 g) plain/all purpose flour or bread flour/strong flour
● (pinch) of salt
● 5 tspns (25 ml) DOUBLE ACTING baking powder
● 6 1/2 - 8 3/4 fl oz (185 -250 ml) water


Method
● Preheat oven to 450 °F (230 °C)
● Sieve the flour, salt and DOUBLE ACTION baking powder together.
● DO NOT ADD ALL OF THE WATER but just enough to make a smooth, pliable dough (all flours vary)
● Roll out lightly to approximately 1/2" (12 mm) thick then place on a lightly greased tray
● Place in oven on the middle shelf and bake for 10 minutes at 450 °F (230 °C)
● Remove from the oven and using the tines of a fork split in half along its thickness
● Place back on tray with the opened faces upwards
● Return to oven
● Reduce the heat to 375 °F (190 °C) and bake for a further 10 minutes.
● Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
● When cool using the large holes of a grater reduce to ?" (3 mm) particles.
● Store in airtight container and use as required


I put the dried mixture into my food mixer with the metal blade and made it even finer, i believe this is called "pin rusk'
User avatar
Butterbean
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 04:10
Location: South Georgia

Post by Butterbean » Wed Mar 29, 2017 23:50

Thanks Fusion. I'll give that a try. Never been a fan of adding rusk but I've never really had any real rusk so my opinion may not be fair so I think I'll try this and see how it works.
Post Reply