Canadian bacon sausage

charcoal junkie
Beginner
Beginner

Canadian bacon sausage

Post by charcoal junkie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 18:34

I would like to make a Canadian bacon sausage. Should i brine pork loin then grind and stuff? Should i add a binder since loin is so lean?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 07, 2017 22:43

Your options are endless but one thing I've played around with is curing say the canadian bacon the way you would normally and when this is done dice it up and make another mince - say something like your favorite smoked sausage mix and grind this fairly fine. After you have done this combine the two together and stuff. The result will be an interesting looking sausage with large chunks of canadian bacon suspended in the sausage.

Another thing I've done is to take cure meats and chunk them up then "glue" them together using plain jello gelatin. This has led to some interesting things but the problem with doing this way is its hard to press all the meat together tightly enough to keep air pockets out. Personally, I prefer using a mince to do the "glueing". You can play around with the amount of mince to use as much or as little as you want. This is the way I think I would go and the mince will add that much needed fat and bind to the sausage but I'm sure there are other ways. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Oh, and if you didn't want any spices detracting from the canadian bacon I think it would work well if you cured some butt alongside the Canadian bacon and use this as your glue material.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Apr 08, 2017 13:26

Regular bacon ground fine would be interesting to add as a filler for the larger chunks or a coarse grind :idea:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Apr 08, 2017 16:10

Bacon would give it an interesting flavor I think.

Messing around with this type sausage is interesting to me because there is so much you can do with it. Just so many possibilities.

Here is one where I used cured pork and cured venison then combined them in a mince. While the flavor was good it wasn't anything really that special but what really set the sausage apart were the chunks of cured venison and pork suspended. I liked the looks of this.

Image[/img]

Here is another one where I failed in either using too large of chunks of show meat or not enough mince. Adjusting either of these would have easily fixed this and removed many of the air pockets. This was made of cured butt and loin but you can see the problem with the large chunks of meat. Still good but not very eye-appealing. While I haven't tried this yet I can't help but think if the large show meat was dusted with gelatin prior to mixing with the mince if this gelatin wouldn't fill in the air pockets. Haven't tried this yet but I think it would be worth a try and I imagine the gelatin would pick up some flavors.

Here is another experiment using salmon suspended in a fish/shrimp emulsion wrapped in prosciutto. If you want a challenging emulsion try using fish. I learned a lot making this and it will help you get a feel for emulsions.

Image[/img]

Here is a faux cappocola. Its made from cured pork butt which is then "glued" together using gelatin. Here again its difficult to get all the air pockets out if you cut your meats too large but it does come together pretty well.

Image[/img]

Hope I didn't bore anyone. Just wanted to show some of the things I've played around with. To date, the best results I've had messing with this type thing is using a mince to bind all the chunks together. As far as eye-appeal.
MidWestBud
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MidWestBud » Sat Apr 08, 2017 18:30

Canadian bacon sausage is an interesting thought. I kind of like the idea of chunks glued by mince-bet that would taste wonderful. Closest I've come is some andouille that I used 1/4 inch chunks along with the ground meat. Doing that provides a fantastic texture.

Butterbean, you are adventurous! Those are some great ideas, although I probably wouldn't try the fish emulsion. :grin: Something about that idea doesn't sit well...now a smoked salmon snack stick does appeal to me. Think of smoked salmon spread that is in stick form. (That thought just popped into my head)

Buddy
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Apr 08, 2017 21:16

Buddy, a smoked salmon snack stick does sound good and it would be very doable. The process would be similar to the fish emulsion only you would be using a red fish where I used a white fleshed fish with shrimp. Sometimes I think it interesting to take some of the procedures we use for making other things and use them to make other things. This can of course lead to the occasional train wreck but in the end I think you walk away with a little more experience if not a good unique sausage.

Lately I've been playing around with meat glue and find it fascinating and see some terrific opportunities to put it to good use.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Apr 09, 2017 20:16

I'm not quite sure whether the original question was about using "Canadian Bacon" (which by definition is a cured and smoked boneless pork loin) in making a sausage or using a pork loin (which by itself is not "Canadian Bacon")? If the latter, then I see little merit in using smoked chunks of meat mixed with raw mince and then smoking again. Once the meat is cured smoked and cooked, the myosins and the sol/gel is set, and you will have issues with binding and probably a dryer product, especially since the meat from the loin is very lean. You can make a number of excellent sausages using meat from the loin. Take a look at some of the recipes on Stan Marianski's pages like this one:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... in-sausage

Or you can make a Krakowska-like sausage using the meat from a loin. The lean chunks could be cubed and the fatty and the braid-like part with the connecive tissue ground finely and used to bind it all together. http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... raditional

Another excellent sausage using loin meat is Lisiecka, more about it here:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... t=lisiecka
charcoal junkie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by charcoal junkie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 03:01

I am going to take pork loin that i brine cured, then grind and stuff into casings. Then smoke to internal temperature of 152°F. I am trying to get Canadian Bacon flavor in sausage form. I dont want Canadian Bacon mixed in with other meat. The whole sausage would be the Canadian Bacon but in ground form. I am shooting for what we in the states buy for on pizza or in meat and cheese trays.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:46

I'd be interested to see how this comes out. I'd be concerned I wouldn't get a good bind and the sausage will be super dry and crumbly using a loin only. Personally, I think you'd be better off curing some butt the same way you plan on doing your loin then grinding this - or using a combination of both.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Apr 21, 2017 13:16

Are you looking for the small rounds of Canadian bacon like this?

Not hard to do but they can be made without grinding.
charcoal junkie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by charcoal junkie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 16:03

Butterbean wrote:I'd be interested to see how this comes out. I'd be concerned I wouldn't get a good bind and the sausage will be super dry and crumbly using a loin only. Personally, I think you'd be better off curing some butt the same way you plan on doing your loin then grinding this - or using a combination of both.
I was thinking about mixing with some binder maybe some phosphates.
charcoal junkie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by charcoal junkie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 16:06

Bob K wrote:Are you looking for the small rounds of Canadian bacon like this?

[url=http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b51 ... uv5vpq.jpg]Image[/URL]

Not hard to do but they can be made without grinding.
Yes i am. But also i am kinda curious if i can make a "Canadian Bacon" sausage. Dont know what u can do until you try.