Mixing sausage enough - should fry test indicate?

Webpoppy8

Mixing sausage enough - should fry test indicate?

Post by Webpoppy8 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 19:30

Hi, I've made two attempts at Kranjska Klobasa (origin for Krainerwurst) and both attempts came out crumbly. (Aroma is fabulous and flavor is on.). So I'm adjusting the recipe - somewhat more salt, not mixing white wine in moistener. I'm also trying to figure ways of keeping everything COLD cold cold.

I believe I need to mix more thoroughly, also. I've seen a number of things about kneading the dough until it is 'stringy' or 'hairy' or 'sticky' to get a "primary bind" as a key part of getting a good final texture. It seems this will release myosin protein into the overall mix to bind it together.

Can anyone point me to a Youtube or whatever video that shows the mix at the correct texture?

I worry about over-mixing - I think that can be a problem too.

If I do a test fry and the mix holds together, would that indicate I have a good "bind"? My test fry had the same crumbles, so... please tell me this will be a good indicator?

How big should a test fry be? A few Tablespoons?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Apr 08, 2017 21:19

I find a test fry might give you a good indication of the flavor but I think the heat is too high to give a good indication of texture. I prefer to wrap about a tablespoon of mince in plastic wrap and poach in 175F water for a few minutes. This gives a much better idea of the texture you'll find in your sausage.

As per your question on the proper texture of the mince it should have peaks in it and when you can grab some of it in your hand and turn your hand over and it sticks to your hand you should be good.
Webpoppy8

Post by Webpoppy8 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 23:21

Thank you @Butterbean! Big help!
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Sun Apr 09, 2017 02:41

When it starts pulling off my nitrile gloves, I figure that's a good time to stop. :) I've found it takes some real muscle on the bigger batches to get enough mixing to get it to get sticky. Going to be interesting with the next batch as I'll be using my new meat mixer, but we'll see. Doing the mix by hand, I think I'd get tired before I overmixed, unless you're doing a 5# batch or something.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Apr 09, 2017 14:25

I think you are right Sleebus, I think it would be hard to over mix mince. I think not mixing enough is a common problem. Most of the time I use a meat mixer too and I just walk off and leave it running till its gomming up the paddles and the texture is outstanding even in the absence of binders.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 15:47

I have added a motor to my manual meat mixer. I have been worried about over mixing. Is it possibles?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Apr 09, 2017 18:40

I believe you could but I'd never done it and I think it would have a lot to do with what you are making. On smoked sausages I'll mix a more thorough than I do a fermented sausage which I normally do by hand.
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 14:09

Butterbean wrote:I think not mixing enough is a common problem.
Yep. I had some sausage the other day at a festival in Chappell Hill and it was essentially meat crumbs in a sausage casing. Yuck. Definitely not mixed enough. I think people worry about making a "rubber sausage" but I like a sausage that holds itself together. Even ones I've thought "hm, may have mixed this too much" turn out just fine. I'd rather have that than a bag of meat crumbs!

I am anxious to try out my new meat mixer. Still got quite a few pounds to eat through before I need to break it out.
Webpoppy8

Post by Webpoppy8 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 04:32

Butterbean wrote:I find a test fry might give you a good indication of the flavor but I think the heat is too high to give a good indication of texture. I prefer to wrap about a tablespoon of mince in plastic wrap and poach in 175F water for a few minutes. This gives a much better idea of the texture you'll find in your sausage.
Tried this on my next (Easter) run - mixed a lot, poached 6 minutes somewhere under boiling. The texture was exactly what I wanted.

Great tip, @Butterbean!