No name kiełbasa

redzed

No name kiełbasa

Post by redzed » Sun May 07, 2017 18:14

When you have to make a sausage with meat that you already have, it is usually difficult to make a specific type of Polish sausage because of the cuts and proportions stipulated. So I made my own withot pretending it is something that it isn't. In recent months I have been too busy with other problems to spend any time on my favourite hobby and have not made a smoked sausage for a while. Yesterday I crafted a simple, mild flavored kielbasa using some meat I had in the freezer and the No 2 and No. 3 trimmings I ended up with from preparing meat for salami for which I use only No. 1.

I utilized 7.5kg of meat of which approximately was 1.5 kg No. 1 from pork loin, 4kg. No. 2 from ham and picnic, and 2kg No. 3 from loin and picnic. The three classes were kept separate and salted (1.8%) and cured (.2% Cure #1) for two days. No. 1 was ground using 10mm plate, No. 2 with a 7mm, and #3 with a 4.5mm. Spices added per kg: BP, 2g; sweet Magyar paprika, 3g; granulated garlic, 2g; and ground caraway, 1.5g. Smoked with apple pellets at 60° for 2 hours, 68° for 1 hour and then cranked it up to 80° for about 35 minutes until IT hit 68°. All in all a smoky, pleasant and tasty sausage. The casing is a bit tough because of the dry heat in my electric smoker, should have used a pan of water or finished by poaching. But the casing should soften a bit after a couple of days in the fridge.

Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Sun May 07, 2017 21:49

Mmmm! That looks delicious. I've yet to do a pre-cured, multi-grade, multi-grind sausage, but I can see how it would be great. I've been doing more whole muscle hams lately, no sausage, but we're going to need to restock the breakfast sausage supply soon.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sun May 07, 2017 21:56

Looks like a perfectly crafted Polish style kielbasa. My mouth is watering.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun May 07, 2017 22:11

That looks wonderful.

Speaking of tough casings on smoked sausages, what are some things you can do to prevent this?

I don't think my smoked sausages have tough skins - in my opinion - but I have a lady who loves my smoked sausages but complains about the tough casings. I'd like to satisfy her in this area but I don't know if its just her subjectivity or what because I can't see where mine are any "tougher" than store bought smoked sausages.