Made some Nürnberger Bratwürste

Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Made some Nürnberger Bratwürste

Post by Sleebus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 18:25

Made ~19lbs/9kg of those little buggers yesterday. Linked them this morning and vac-sealed for freezing. Holy mother of God, sheep casings are an incredible pain in the butt. I'm pretty sure my struggle with them added about 3 hours to the process. :shock:

At any rate, they turned out GREAT. Used a recipe I found on this forum.
Pork 1000 g
Salt 18g 1.80%
White Pepper 2g 0.20%
Mace 0.5g 0.05%
Nutmeg 0.5g 0.05%
Marjoram 1.25g 0.13%
Water 3.00%

Briefly grind spice in a mortar and pestle to release the oils.
Grind the meat through a 4.5mm or 6mm plate and then add all the spices and salt and mix well before grinding a second time. Mix until sticky. Stuff into sheep's casings and grill over beechwood.
I didn't do the second grinding, and grilled on my pellet grill with a maple/hickory/cherry blend. I really like these, except for the freakin' sheep casings! It's like trying to open a string. I may have to buy a hank of tubed casings because that was ridiculous.

Ok, on to the pics.

Conditioning

Ready to be linked

On the grill

I think these got cooked a bit hot on the grill. Set it for 350° and blew past the target cook temp with not much browning. I'll have to do these on charcoal next time for best results.

Get in my belly!

450+ links :shock:

So yep, I'd do these again...but only with tubed casings!
Bumper
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Bumper » Sat Jul 15, 2017 22:58

Delicious! I didn't have a big issue with sheep casing with the breakfast sausage I made, but looking to do a batch of kabana soon so will see whether it was beginners luck. Either way, the effort looks worth it!!
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 03:02

I dunno. I had a heck of a time getting them open and over the horn. Mebbe you have some secret to doing that easy I don't know about?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:44

Lecker!!

You can also simmer (not boil!!) them in beer +onions + Butter and finish on the grill.

Oh yea and on the roll you also need some homemade Kraut to go with that stone ground mustard :mrgreen:

Casings easy - switch to some 30-35 hog casings. A lot less expensive and much easier to use.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jul 16, 2017 15:35

To date I have not made Nuremberger but I have tried it in Germay and from a small producer in Vancouver. Classic tasty sausage! Sheep casings is way to go if you want a more authentic version. You could use hog casings (I would go with 28mm since it is a small thin sausage,) but in Germany you could not call it Nuremberger. Take a look at the regulations governing the sausage.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 32013R0973

I will be on cycling trip through Germany in September and will be definitely savouring this sausage. :lol:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jul 16, 2017 17:57

Those look delicious.
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Mon Jul 17, 2017 02:56

Those look amazing! When I ran out of sheep casings...........which took about 10 years, I switched to 26mm Hog Casings. Far less cursing and struggles.
V465
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 14:56

Bob K wrote:Lecker!!

You can also simmer (not boil!!) them in beer +onions + Butter and finish on the grill.

Oh yea and on the roll you also need some homemade Kraut to go with that stone ground mustard

Casings easy - switch to some 30-35 hog casings. A lot less expensive and much easier to use.
Hmmmm. Homemade kraut sounds like something else I need to do. Got a favorite recipe you can share? I did them last time in the big casings, turned out great, like a very high quality Johnsonville brat. Wanted to do them at least one time "legit" to see how it'd go...so yeah, my one time is enough! Seriously thinking about fresh collagen casings for ease and speed.
To date I have not made Nuremberger but I have tried it in Germay and from a small producer in Vancouver. Classic tasty sausage! Sheep casings is way to go if you want a more authentic version. You could use hog casings (I would go with 28mm since it is a small thin sausage,) but in Germany you could not call it Nuremberger. Take a look at the regulations governing the sausage.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/...EX%3A32013R0973

I will be on cycling trip through Germany in September and will be definitely savouring this sausage.
Absolutely correct. Interesting read, the link you supplied. Enjoy the cycle trip, safe to say I'm very jealous!
Butterbean wrote:Those look delicious.
Thank you sir!
sausagemaneric wrote:Those look amazing! When I ran out of sheep casings...........which took about 10 years, I switched to 26mm Hog Casings. Far less cursing and struggles.
This batch used an entire 5 oz bag, so you can imagine there were plenty of choice words that day. Good news is that they're gone forever. It's collagen or tubed casings from here on out!
K98 AL
User
User

Post by K98 AL » Mon Jul 17, 2017 15:33

Very nice! I've made these using deer/wild pork mix and they turned out great. 100% right on the sheep casing but I do like to use them for a few things. I noticed when I quit buying the "home pack" and started buying bigger lots , the quality went up. Apparently some of the small packs are shorts and seconds, and prone to holes as well as being difficult to start over the horn.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jul 18, 2017 13:47

Sleebus wrote: Hmmmm. Homemade kraut sounds like something else I need to do. Got a favorite recipe you can share?
Sleebus its simple , salt,water, and cabbage! I like adding a little Caraway.

Info here:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5686

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/ferment ... sauerkraut

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/sauerkraut.html